It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generally unplesent themes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hello all. Im a long time reader, but this is my first post. Nothing strange has ever happened to me, henceforth I have had nothing to say. However, I wanted to make a post on the following topic, which will hopefully be of interest to all, especially international users.

I have a deep interest in all subjects paranormal... UFO's, conspirecies, ghosts etc, and enjoy discussions with all these themes in mind.

However, what has been really bugging me is the psudo-racist, anti-religion, anti-anythingwhiteamerican themes that have been running throughout this site of late. What the hell is the problem. Some idiot posts something about Islam being a 'bloody' religion, yet completely forgets the christian crusads.... the rubbish about Obama being gay... So what. Gay people exist.

I am utterly disgusted with some of the people on this forum. This site has the potential to be a world wide hub for like minded people, so moderators, you really need to start thinking about the stance you allow people to take on this forum. It is no longer what it was, today it is just a site for american racists/homophobes/people who are ignorant of other religions. This could be a great site, PLEASE, let us get back to the topic in hand and stop using this site as a political venting ground!

Regards,
Gigi (agnostic, hetrosexual, dark brown, and a believer)

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
We do have our fair share of anti-(insert group of choice) but we cannot stifle the members who post these things unless the posts themselves are in violation of the terms and conditions. Why? well, for starters, if we started removing all the anti (insert choice here) talk, every conversation would be one sided and pointless. Second, we do believe in freedom of speech and censoring the hatred would be violating that right. Believe me, nobody hates reading the evil joos, all muslims are terrorists, all aliens are green cattle mutilators etc stuff more than me but we cannot quiet these members by removing their posts.

the best means of combating this type of ignorance is with counter posts. show the readers the other side of the argument. Post without losing your head, post facts, with back up, that cannot be refuted and the hatred these people spew will be exposed for what it is, ignorant hatred.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Let me add that I personally would love to see more posts, on a variety of subjects, from our worldwide members.

Politics from Burma and China and Australia and South America and Isreal and Africa and so on, would be a nice change.

BTS threads about music and videos from all over would be great.

Current Events from across the globe, especially those that don't make the Google/MSM news would be of interest.

But because this is user generated, it's up to you who live across the globe to speak up. Complaining that this site is *insert label* doesn't change a thing. If you want change, then be the one to do the changing.

As long as posts are within the T&C, there's a place here for everyone to talk about almost everything.

So make it happen.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Thanks for your comments, i guess i just dont have enough time to provide the counter point to every post i read. Of course the counter points are very valuable, and they do reassue one that not everyone is anti-whatever, it just seems the general tone of the site needs a bit more moderation. For example, people often forget to post their sources, or to even wink in their direction. This is a fantastic site, and i agree with freedom of speech completely. However, this is not a sounding board for peoples opinions, it is a site designed for discussion on the paranormal. Too many, and regretfully i mean a majority of posts, are politically motivated these day, and it is sad, because this was a great site. Im not dissing the mods, or even the posters, but to see how a site can offer the same subject matter, but without the political bias of each poster being displayed why not take a look at forteantimes.com which im sure a lot of you are familiar with. It does not have to be this way. Freedom of speech is great, and i will die for anybody's right to say what they want, but maybe some self sensorship may make this site a lot better. A considered argument, regardless of who it is rallied against, is a great thing. It is what this site used to be about. But, as i said in my previous post, the 'Obabma is gay/Islam is a bloody religion' posts are just rants. Can we not, as a community, excercies a bit of intellectualism?
I do love this site, but please, when you are posting, dont just rant. If we are really 'investigating' then consider what you are trying to say. For me, and the thousands of reader who have an element of curiosity (and dare i say intelligence) these one sided post are becoming the norm, and very boring. Frankly they are putting me off. And OK, I know i can just leave, but I thought i would just voice what i thought before i did. I know i am not alone...

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by gigi smack
Can we not, as a community, excercies a bit of intellectualism?

we try, sadly, like society, there are people out there who are driven by hate. thus, we must do our best to combat it.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gigi smack

However, what has been really bugging me is the psudo-racist, anti-religion, anti-anythingwhiteamerican themes that have been running throughout this site of late.

Wasn't those posted under religious conspiracy though?

Or NWO trying to control the masses through the use of the populous?

Some threads I choose not to be involved with if I do not care for the subject matter
IMHO

new topics

top topics

join