It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar Equals Intelligence?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I have no issues with how majority of people write here.

The person who is closest to me in my life, doesnt even speak English as a first language.....and MANY other people here dont either....yet their typing doesnt bother me at all and is perfectly readable!

What bothers me is people who type like they are texting on a cell phone. I refuse to read their posts. Or the people who dont break up loooooooooooong posts into paragaphs.

Other then that....we are NOT writing college papers here....so I see this as a more casual environment - were spelling and grammar mistakes and language differences are accepted

There are some HIGHLY intelligent people here posting on ATS, where English is not their first language....so, before you make that judgement on a person's grammar and spelling....THINK about this first

[edit on 20-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

So, ATS should only allow to post, people with perfect grammar, punctuation and mastery of the English language?.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

no, not at all... but people shouldn't be so amazed when their posts or critiques are shot down due to poor grammar. It just shows that the person typing did not give as much effort as they could have to conveying their message clearly - therefore, it does not warrant as much effort when trying to understand a poorly constructed reply.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Well, if you have a link to free software that can help with the grammar/spelling please post it here, I only have the free version of ABC, but the only problem is that if doesn't help with the grammar as only takes care of the spelling, so if you type the wrong word in the sentence as long as is the right spelling will not tell you that is wrong for the sentence or in the sentence structure.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

no, not at all... but people shouldn't be so amazed when their posts or critiques are shot down due to poor grammar. It just shows that the person typing did not give as much effort as they could have to conveying their message clearly - therefore, it does not warrant as much effort when trying to understand a poorly constructed reply.

But how do you know if that person with the "poor" grammar/spelling even speaks English as a native language??? You dont!

Even if you put your text into a translator, the result will not be 100% perfect English grammar/spelling!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Exactly, I can challenge anybody here when it comes to my native language, but when it comes to English I can not.

So, I am at disadvantage.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I didn't make the rules, nor do I enforce them... so don't look to me for any sort of justification. I'm just explaining why some people equate grammar with intelligence. I happen to be one of those. If someone explains they are typing in a language other than their native tongue (err, fingers), it usually gives them a huge break.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Well, I don't think you are. Because based on all your posts that I read....even If I don't always agree with you
....I still think you type perfect English..I would NEVER have known that it was not your first language.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

You are now been condescend to poor English grammar killers like me now.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Thanks greeneyedleo, you are been so nice and polite, but trust me I have my fair share of bashing by people that tells me how horrible I am with spelling and grammar.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I do sort of understand what you are saying, because I do not think there are a lot of excuses for American born people to not speak/write proper English in most situations (school, work, etc) However, when it comes to a message board where people may be in a hurry, hiding from the boss
, have kids sitting on their lap while they type, or are responding late at night and tired (or drunk :lol
....I think we have to take some of these realities into consideration when we read responses from people.

I know myself, who writes 'A' college papers (with perfect grammar/spelling) can get VERY lazy on message boards due to some of the above I mentioned

*now im paranoid*

[edit on 20-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

heh understood... although some posts on this board are very serious, and some people put lots of time (even years) into the research they post on here.. So when someone else comes in leave some criticism, or etc. It's almost a slap in the face after posting paragraphs of work, to be left with a barely intelligible comment. If said person was drunk/busy at work/etc, that's just an excuse.

For example, what if you were trying to hold a serious conversation in person with someone that was drunk / busy with kids / busy at work? It wouldn't work out very well in that scenario either - and not because you are being elitist or condescending, but because you realize that someone preoccupied with another task / under the influence of drugs or alcohol does not make the best debate partner or conversationalist.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yes, I do see where you are coming from
and there is sense in what you are saying

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I wouldnt listen to certain ppl in this thread because they and I know they are liars.

You know what I think? It's the reader, not the writer. How so? Since in high school we were taught how to correct sentences and etc to putting in the correct punchuation marks. So when a reader comes down on your grammer or etc it is a reflection of their actual english skills lacking. Because I knew this I stay sucker-free. I look at them as though they have got to be being just mean and childish because they just hate what I have to say period. They hate when you make a winning points over another person. They hate when they see you onto something that reveals your intelligence greater than their's. Etc. Envy and jealousy and price and contempt is all it is 10 times out of 10 when someone dare says any ought about your english. Besides, maybe they lack reading comprehension skills if ever they claim they dont understand. It is funny how someone would waste their time writing a whole paragraph to you about that they dont understand what you're saying. We all know no one is fooling no one because aint no way you gone write all that just to imply you dont understand because of the grammar and etc instead of just skip it. I mean, if they couldnt write clear then, the what the hell makes you think they can now just because you said you cant understand because of the grammar? It's like beating a dead horse. Obviously their are raving wolves full of hate and envy period. Yeah, just because they can say they dont understand doesnt means they aren't lieing and saying what they can say just to try to inflict their hatred.

So the reader who doesnt read to correct as they read is the one that doesnt know an aspect of english that should have been taught back in high school. They need to go back to high school if they cant do their english work in reading something they behold as poor grammor, spelling, punchuation.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is a verbal medium and your words are all you have to present yourself to the membership.

Very few of us are skilled enough to use perfect grammar, but it is not that hard to write in an effective manner that is generally grammatical, well-composed and legible.

If a person is so smart, he can certainly learn to write well and with spell checkers, even those who have trouble with spelling can write well.

It just takes a little time and effort and shows respect for your readers.

To make my posts more legible I break my posts into paragraphs of one or two sentences.

This is not stylistically correct, but it is a method used in journalism and it works very well on the internet to facilitate easy reading with less eyestrain.

[edit on 2008/6/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Pandapple

My spelling is horrible, my punctuation even worse.......

But I cannot say "but I AM intelligent!" .. I will leave that up to the ATS community.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
yeah....I just ripped on someone in another thread for using "ebonics" to hide the fact that they were a racists white person. I ended up spelling "grammer". (takes the wind out of a point)
I for one, can't stand being so retarded when it comes to spelling and sometimes grammar. It does reflect your "perceived" intelligence. Just like your weight does, your age, how you dress, and if you are ugly or not. It is just the way of the modern world.
I am a third year law student and spell like I am in middle school. It isn't about being lazy so much, unless you think not looking up every 20th word you don't know how to spell as being lazy. I wouldn't get anything done.
Some of us I think have a learning disability.

...oh, and to the poster that said she was "well over 40" if your avatar is you... and it was taken when you were in your mid 20's, then maybe I believe you.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Res Ipsa]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Show me an arrogant individual that believes he is intelligent simply because he speaks proper English and I'll show you his fellow co-worker that speaks and writes broken English, yet they are both professionally equal.

Having good grammar only means you are great at following rules.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Pandapple

While I do agree with you that flaming a post for bad grammar is wrong, a reader expects a certain proficiency in grammatical skills when attempting to understand another persons perspective. If the ideas expressed by a writer are confusing or poorly written, then the reader is left with only confusion or a poor understanding of those ideas. That being said, If a writer is using English as a second language then they are not only excused from grammatical errors, I personally salute you all as I can ONLY read and write in English!
The unfortunate answer is Yes, society does actually equate intelligence to good grammar. Society also equates intelligence to how much money a person makes but we all know that really doesn't matter either.
The solution is simple, open up your handy word processing program, type your message there first, use spell check, copy and paste. It may not solve punctuation issues, but at least the reader can understand the idea.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by redbarron626]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
To. Sum, it: up? Yes_punctuation; is key (4) gaging "ones' intelligence. Level!

If/ u, cannot understand*~* someones'! post? How can you provide[ quality _ feedback]

Id say: WHOM-EVER punctuates wrongly, should BE BANNED?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join