It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Government Forcing Through EU Treaty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

UK Government Forcing Through EU Treaty

news.bbc.co.uk

He said the government's solicitors had been "very relaxed in casually telling the court yesterday afternoon (Thursday) that they intended to ratify without bothering to wait for the court judgement".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I hope I haven't broken ATS rules on the posting of an article, but the BBC News headline doesn't match the real story being reported.

As I quoted in the snippet above, the UK Government are showing nothing but contempt for British citizens.

The BBC reports them as "assurances" when in fact it's nothing of the sort.

I hope that given the attitude of the government that the High Court rules that we must have a referendum.

WHY ARE THEY HELL BENT ON RUSHING THIS THROUGH??!!

Flag this thread! People need to be aware of what is going on! Nearly 500 Million people will be affected by this treaty!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-6-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It has been halted now, Gordon Brown will not go against the High Court. If Brown went against the Court, then an "invite" would be issued to stop the government from ratifying the treaty.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
It has been halted now, Gordon Brown will not go against the High Court. If Brown went against the Court, then an "invite" would be issued to stop the government from ratifying the treaty.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by infinite]

...but the fact they'd go against the court shows just what they'll do to get it through.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

Court does not want the Royal assent until it has given a verdict, which is next week, I think the government thought it could keep going (but Brown got it wrong (again)).

If it went against the Court; forcing the treaty through would mean it will be illegal and unconstitutional then the government will have to resign or be sacked via the Queen.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This isn't really surprising under the "New Labour' government. If you think back 5 years or so, when Blair was Prime Minister but his sheen was starting to wear thin, on a number of occassions when the government were outvoted on issues related to changes in the Law, what did they do? Keep submitting the requested changes until they eventually got the required "yes" vote.

It's democracy, sure, but not as some would recognise it!

What's most disgusting with the Lisbon treaty issue, is the simple fact that EU philosophy requires all countries to be united in their decision. That's the basic principle of the EU. With the treaty that clearly hasn't happened, yet it's still being attempted to push it through. How much of a clearer exhibition of the flawed nature of the EU do people need than that? Yet strangely, in the media nobody seems to consider such behaviour a major issue of question or comment.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If they forced it through, would the queena ctually sack the government? I don't think she'd bother. If the people were demonstrating and revolting she would so that the people would love her of course. However the British people just won't revolt, we seem to have lost that spirit.

Everyone in this country complains about the government, well at least most people do. When you ask them what they're doing about it they reply "Well i vote" or "What can i do?". That is the extent to which they will protect democracy. Most people don't write to their MP's, most people don't protest, most people just have no spirit.

If they force it through, well we'll see more whining, more moaning, more whinging and no action. At least that's what i expect, however i hope there will be more, i hope the British people wil stand up for democracy. I hope.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

If the government goes against the wishes of the Court, then yes the government can be dismissed.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Yes i wasn't arguing legally if it could be dismissed. I was saying that i doubt it will happen because there is not enough conviction in the people to force it through and the monarchy just doesn't care.

The ability to do something is only important if the conviction to do it is there.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Just another sucky day in politics, do I care no, do I vote no, because there is no party worth voting for.

Had a council door knocker here about 6 months back to get our credentials down on the poll register so we could vote, the wife bless her gave hers but Wolfie told the official where to stick their questions.

I was told if I did not give the info they required I could be fined, as this site allows all ages to be here I will not say what my reply was, but she beat a hasty retreat and nothing further was heard.

Can I go and demonstrate against the Government, sure I can as long as it falls within the law, so there I go with both hands tied behind my back and banner held in my teeth.

I would love to get into politics and say it how it really is, but you need serious money to do that, and that in itself keeps peeps like me working hard just to be able to live an ordinary life.

Wolfie

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
Just another sucky day in politics, do I care no, do I vote no, because there is no party worth voting for.

That is the problem with our system, people not voting. There are parties covering every political viewpoint, so you not voting is out of sheer laziness.

Had a council door knocker here about 6 months back to get our credentials down on the poll register so we could vote, the wife bless her gave hers but Wolfie told the official where to stick their questions.

I was told if I did not give the info they required I could be fined, as this site allows all ages to be here I will not say what my reply was, but she beat a hasty retreat and nothing further was heard.

So you couldn't be polite and say no? I think that shows your true nature doesn't it. Resulting to profanity in such a situation, i take it that it was profanity as you can't repeat it here.

Can I go and demonstrate against the Government, sure I can as long as it falls within the law, so there I go with both hands tied behind my back and banner held in my teeth.

I would love to get into politics and say it how it really is, but you need serious money to do that, and that in itself keeps peeps like me working hard just to be able to live an ordinary life.

Wolfie

Serious money? What utter rubbish. Local councillors are the place to start and you don't need money to get into it at all. You are the problem with this country, people who just don't care. Please don't come online and complain, and don't complain in the pub or around people. You have not bothered to vote so you have decided to silence your own voice. If you were annoyed with voting, if you actually couldn't find a party to agree with then you could at least go and spoil your vote. Do you even know what that is?

Soilt votes are counted, that at least says something about the electorates view. Not voting at all, well that means you have no right to even bother commenting. Please pull the plug on your computer.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
That's the big problem with this country (UK): people think they can't do anything, but they can! The politicians like it that way because they get to walk all over us.

We should be having a general strike over the lack of a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, but we don't.

The people in Ireland should be telling the EU where to sling it and that they've already said "NO" to the treaty, but I doubt they will.

Politicians only get away with it because we don't hold them accountable as we should.

They work for us, not the other way around!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
irelands Politicians are ignoring the peoples no vote..dont be fooled into thinking that just because the people said no that it wont go ahead..all the other countrys signed up to this treaty with out asking the people first because they would have said no..they will keep on voting week after week until they get a yes vote...

top topics

join