It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK becomes biggest weapons exporter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

UK becomes biggest weapons exporter

www.ft.com

Britain became the world’s largest arms exporter last year, according to government figures released on Tuesday, overtaking the US, which normally occupies the top slot.

The UK won £10bn of new defence orders in 2007 from overseas, giving it a 33 per cent share of the world export market, according to figures released on Tuesday by the Defence and Security Organisation, set up to promote Britain’s defence exports. Export orders totalled £5.5bn in 2006.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Wow, I guess this will change the perspective in the world of war these days.Since the U.S. has been bashed repeatedly for exporting weapons to other countries, I wonder if the UK will soon be on the bashing block along side us now.The world is a changing very fast.

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

i bet most of that is to the middle east

i cant see the UK exporting weapons to more countries then Russia and the US

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
That is the quickest response to a thread I have ever gotten.I guess you are a speed reader....you did read the article before posting that response right?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Hope fully these weapons will be used to neutralise Iran

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

not a very long read is it?
only 2 paragraphs in the article

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

mmmh, oh each to their own views.
dont see what Iran has to do with things.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I am just saying ,because it was just such a very quick response.I don't think there is anything wrong with the UK becoming the largest exporter of weapons.I am just thinking that the rest of the world will jump off the U.S. bashing band wagon and may start jumping on you guys now.The world loves to hate the guys on top.It is human nature I guess.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is good for the economy and if another big war breaks out we can supply our own weapons rather than having to rely on the US, and hopefully it will save us from another Marshall plan.

Off-topic- Fact for you all- the equivelent of five Marshall plans has been put into Africa since WW2, to little effect by the look of things. Poor people in rich coutries giving to rich people in poor countries.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Looks like they have almost doubled their exports in the last year. Here in the US we REALLY know how to go overboard....

Since 1992, the United States has exported more than $142 billion dollars worth of weaponry to states around the world.[1] The U.S. dominates this international arms market, supplying just under half of all arms exports in 2001, roughly two and a half times more than the second and third largest suppliers. [2 ] U.S. weapons sales help outfit non-democratic regimes, soldiers who commit gross human rights abuses against their citizens and citizens of other countries, and forces in unstable regions on the verge of, in the middle of, or recovering from conflict.

U.S.-origin weapons find their way into conflicts the world over. The United States supplied arms or military technology to more than 92% of the conflicts under way in 1999.[3] The costs to the families and communities afflicted by this violence is immeasurable. But to most arms dealers, the profit accumulated outweighs the lives lost. In the period from 1998-2001, over 68% of world arms deliveries were sold or given to developing nations, where lingering conflicts or societal violence can scare away potential investors.[4]

Link to source.

new topics

top topics

join