It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seismic events stronger because of global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
www.earthtimes.org...

"New research compiled by Australian scientist Dr Tom Chalko shows that global seismic activity on Earth is now five times more energetic than it was just 20 years ago.

The research proves that destructive ability of earthquakes on Earth increases alarmingly fast and that this trend is set to continue, unless the problem of "global warming" is comprehensively and urgently addressed.

The analysis of more than 386,000 earthquakes between 1973 and 2007 recorded on the US Geological Survey database proved that the global annual energy of earthquakes on Earth began increasing very fast since 1990.

Dr Chalko said that global seismic activity was increasing faster than any other global warming indicator on Earth and that this increase is extremely alarming.

"The most serious environmental danger we face on Earth may not be climate change, but rapidly and systematically increasing seismic, tectonic and volcanic activity," said Dr Chalko.

"Increase in the annual energy of earthquakes is the strongest symptom yet of planetary overheating.

"NASA measurements from space confirm that Earth as a whole absorbs at least 0.85 Megawatt per "

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
o rly??

an alledged increase of 1C will influence processes occuring a few miles below the surface

that's a good one, folks!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
An interesting article but I don't believe his conclusions. The paper isn't exactly in a prestiguous journal and I think there are a few problems with it. Firstly, he doesn't have enough data to show whether this change is significant or whether there is natural variability in the system. Secondly his argument that it is due to global warming is vacuous. It reminds me of the argument, which i have stolen from a TV show, which proceeds along the lines of... All dogs have four legs, my cat has four legs therefore my cat is a dog! The author presents his view of there being an increase in earthquake energy over recent years finds that there has been an increase in average global air and ocean temperatues and therefore concludes that the increase in earthquake activity is due to this. It does not follow logically. I could argue that there have been more people living in India and China in the last few decades and that therefore they have made the difference

Still an interesting article if I ignore the conclusions.

join