It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Talk to Cops!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
An interesting youtube video. It is a defense law professor who gives 8 reasons why you should not talk to cops! So instead of just seeing one side of the coin, there is a veteran detective to give the other side of the coin. I think this is a must see!

This is the law professor and the next video is the detective that is attending the law school. He has over 1000 interrogations.

I hope I did the videos right. Your thoughts?

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Equinox99]

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Equinox99]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Well, I know it may be hard for some to believe, but years ago - HippieontheHill was " The Man ". Yes, it's true. Let me tell you that every dumb criminal I ever put in jail - practically talked himself or herself in there. The professional, smart criminals, they kept their mouths shut, and walked time & time again. So, the question has been asked more times than I care to count. "Do I have to talk to the Police ?" The answer is " NO ". Now, to me this always was a matter of common sense. But some people need it spelled out to them. So, pay attention : The Police are tasked with mantaining civil order (a absense of riots, looting, drunk drivers - driving on the sidewalks and other general mahame) and investigating criminal matters. You know like who stole your car, etc... In the performance of their duties, they often interview (talk to) people. It is legal to do so. However, If they do not have Probable Cause, to make contact with you - they can not detain you, question you or otherwise bother you. What is Probable Cause - It is a belief, more that mere suspicion (gut feelings don't count) - That a person or group of persons, has, will or is at the moment - engaged in Criminal Activity (example - stealing your car). And if the Officer presented the same direct observations, evidence (such as recorded film) or credible witness statements to a reasonable and prudent person (a good and humble citizen) - that a crime, has, will or is presently being committed; that citizen would come to the same conclusion and agree that the police should act on it - for the better good. If, there is no Probable Cause, He has no reason to bother you. Just remember what your mom taught you - Be Nice. Being Rude - well it causes problems. Just every so politely ask " Why are you speaking with me ? I would like to know what your Probable Cause to do so is ? If, you have no Probable Cause - am I free to leave. If I am not free to leave why ? If, you can not provide a reason equal to Probable Cause - I will be leaving - thank you - have a nice day. That is that. P.S. - Never agree to a search of your person, place of residence or car - without a warrant. Just politely say " If, you had a warrant - I would allow it, since you don't - I will not." Again, delivery is important - Confident, not Rude - Rules the Day.. Be Nice.... Keep your head, admitt to nothing, volunter nothing.. and even if he is a complete Jerk, who arrests you unjustly and takes you to jail - in the end you will beat him; and take great joy in knowing your superior knowledge -was what kicked his *ss... There you have it.... Basic Law 101 - at no charge...

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Honestly people do not realize this, but when you get arrested and the cop reads you your rights, one right is "You have the right to remain silent, anything you say or do maybe used against you in the court of law". It does not say it may be used to help you.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Actually, allowing a cop to search my car without a warrant saved me from getting a (well deserved) ticket for speeding.

The highway patrolman pulled me over for speeding, then began claiming that he smelled marijuana(sp?) in my car. He had me step out of my car, called in a back-up patrol officer and asked to search my car.

Knowing that I had no controlled substances in my possession, I agreed to the search.

As it turned out, what the officer had been smelling was some sage I had used in a smudging ceremony.

I suppose he was thereafter too embarassed to charge me with speeding.

Or perhaps he realized that, if the matter came to trial, I would have likely been successful in undermining his credliblity before the judge on the speeding rap by pointing out his inability to diiffrentiate between a controlled substance, and a culinary substance.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Some very interesting points mentioned in that video. The cop seemed to pretty much agree with everything he said.

Another thread, here:
Always excercise your 5th amendment rights, even if innocent

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Actually, I would say that you are very lucky that you were dealing with a decent and trustworthy officer. It's just as likely he could have miraculously "found" some contraband in your car. It happens all of the time.

As some one who worked with law enforcement, criminals and lawyers, I can attest that they only differ by degree - similar personality types with varying levels of ethics.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
You should know this if you ever watch 'Cold-case'

Cops talk to..
suspect 'a'..leads to suspect 'b'..leads to suspects 'd', 'e', 'f',..who then lead back to suspect 'b' and solves crime..

Now if suspect 'b' hadn't led them to 'c' and so-on... then they wouldn't have had any further leads and 'f' couldn't have fingered 'b'

Boy that program's so formulaic

Say NOWT..

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
Actually, allowing a cop to search my car without a warrant saved me from getting a (well deserved) ticket for speeding.

Spam Lucky is all I can say. Last year, my 60 plus year old mother. A sweet, quite, church going lady, asked me to fix the armrest in a used Buick; she has been driving for years. As I started to apply some " Mr. Fix It " skills to the problem - I found a suprise. Located in the malfuntioning armrest was 1/2 gram of methamphetamine & a twenty dollar bill. One, I flushed the other I kept. What if my sweet mother would had said " Yes " to a warrantless search... Scarry... Best to " Just Say No ". Or at least have the local police department - do a courtesty search of any used vehicle you buy, using their ever so handy Rin Tin Tin K-9 Officer. Prevention is worth a pound of cure. But a pound hidden in the truck - it's worth about 5 years.... See my point... The Truth is Out There - Not, all Cops are smart, Not all Cops are honest. Most are, but not all. - Trust me, I've worked with some real winners over the years.... Google Search Ralph Baker, Arkansas Sheriff, When Money Grew on Trees (it's the name of a good book & A true tale, of a very bad man.. I did battle with...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
**bump**
Just thought this is an important issue. Maybe it got overlooked because I posted late at night.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think that this is important.
I am in UK so some of this stuff may not apply even though it stems from the Magna Carta?
I am going to read the MC over and over
but if anyone has tips for a Brit then let me know

[edit on 23-12-2008 by george_gaz]

top topics

join