It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida's Republican House Speaker calls McCain 'disingenuous' for linking drilling to gas prices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Florida's Republican House Speaker calls McCain 'disingenuous' for linking drilling to gas prices.»

LINK

Though he supports offshore drilling, Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio (R) “challenged Gov. Charlie Crist and John McCain’s implication that drilling could lower gas prices anytime soon.” Rubio told the Miami Herald today that Crist and McCain are making a “disingenuous” and “flawed” argument:

“For anyone to represent that someone drilling off the coast in Florida is going to lower gas prices here or anywhere in this country is disingenuous and a flawed argument..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thats right, it is, plain and simple, FALSE. I bet McCain knows it too he just expects the people to eat it up because we are sadly misinformed and under informed.

The whole line McCain is trying to tow in regards to oil is disingenuous. Sooner or later this is going to come back and bit him in the tooshie.

As Marco Rubio notes:

"Oil drilling could take 10 years before any oil is pulled out of the ground, and there are a large number of leases held by oil companies that are not being exploited now. We can't say we need more until we've exploited those.'' LINK 2

This is exactly what I was talking about in this thread:

The Push for Opening More Land for Oil Drilling is a Farce (Part 1)

LINK

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Actually for once McCain is right.

The sole reason that there is so much demand for oil is because production has been slowed down dramaticly. Northern Alberta is full of oil, i was just up there, and i was suprised to see how many wells are not pumping anything.

Everyone ive talked up there says that there has been a huge slow down in drilling over the last year or so and has started to sink there growing economy. 2 years ago you couldnt buy a house in Fairview Alberta, now you cant sell one.

There is plenty of oil out there, not enough to get us through too many more generations, but easily enough to get us through any sort of energy crisis.

Plus it is two fold. Oil companies get double there money, and blame it on shortages, then force people into alternatives like biofuel which in the end will see the mass starvation of half the third world.

So they control those with the money to buy fuel, and kill those without.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tom goose

Could you please clarify your point and provide some sort of evidence for what you are saying? I am one not convinced and two slightly confused by what you are trying to say. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

UUHHH, OK.

There is lots of oil.

Nobody is pumping the oil.

OPEC has caps on oil production.

You want lower prices, you get a more abundant supply.

its quit simple really, try google "untapped oil"

When the arm thingy on the well isnt moving, nothing is being pumped, kapeesh.

would you like me to explain the birds and bees to you as well?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

What you are ignoring is what McCain is talking about doing mate...

You are talking about TAPED wells, McCain is talking about EXPLORING for MORE wells.

These are two DIFFERENT things.

I know what you are talking about I was just trying to nudge you towards realizing your point was OUT OF CONTEXT.

McCain is NOT, as you say "correct" as his logic is flawed. Searching for more oil in the waters surrounding the USA is not going to help in the present. It very well could int he future but to make the assertion that such drilling would help anytime soon is patently disingenuous.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I understand I do, but you have to realize that politician cant just come out and say "the oil companies are screwing you, they are holding back production to make you pay more with false speculation." Even the most liberal politician could not say that in public. So they speak in a sort of code, one that send that message to the voters that he has a solution to the problem, but in a tone that does not upset the big boys hussle.

McCain did make a false statement but remained on the level, you cannot argue with him on that level because then you are admitting that there is some sort of real problem here, and not just the work of greed.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

wow. now my head hurts. unless i am mistaken you said two, opposing things, int hat post.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
this is a market, they speculation of more oil will lower the price of oil, regardless if it is being pumped yet, they are investing in futures, and on an unregulated market as well.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

wow. now my head hurts. unless i am mistaken you said two, opposing things, int hat post.

Thats politics

just joking buddy, i dont think we are on the same page

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
OK Mr. Marco Rubio, obviously you have some big enviromental money guiding your position. If you don't think drilling is the solution, what is yours? Sitting back and doing nothing?

Drilling now regardless of the time of results, will give speculators something to think about. I'm sick of Democrats and enviromentalists using the excuse "It will take 10 years for any results." Bill Clinton vetoed drilling in ANWAR 10 years ago. I'm sure we could use that million barrels a day right now! (That is the same amount we IMPORT from Saudi Arabia.)

Drill now, Drill here, Save Money!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Wake up mate.

Combined, oil and gas companies hold leases to nearly 68 million acres
of federal land and waters that they are not producing oil and gas (Figure 4).
Oil and gas companies would not buy leases to this land without believing oil
and gas can be produced there, yet these same companies are not producing
oil or gas from these areas already under their control.
If we extrapolate from today=s production rates on federal land and
waters, we can estimate that the 68 million acres of leased but currently
inactive federal land and waters could produce an additional 4.8 million
barrels of oil and 44.7 billion cubic feet of natural gas each day.

But they need more land to drill in? Try to explain that away. You act as if ANWR is the ONLY option. Did you know oil companies already hold leases to massive amounts of Alaska land and sea?

Proponents of drilling in Alaska are most often focused on a 1.5 million
acre area in the 19.2 million acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).
Established in 1960 and expanded in 1980, ANWR includes a 1.5 million acre
area of the coastal plain known as the A1002 area@ which requires
Congressional authorization before oil drilling may proceed there.
However, in addition to ANWR, there are another nearly 91 million acres
currently open to leasing in the Arctic region of Alaska, including onshore and
offshore lands. Oil and gas companies have leased only 11.8 million of the 91
million acres.

So again, wake up and smell the lies you have been eating mate:

On the Outer Continental Shelf, 82% of federal natural gas and 79% of
federal oil is located in areas that are currently open for leasing.

Onshore, 62% of oil and 84% of natural gas resources are either fully
accessible under standard lease stipulations designed to protect lands
and wildlife, or will be accessible pending the completion of land-use
planning or environmental reviews.

Or you could keep waving hte flag for those who are lying to ALL of us, you included.

Link to the Source

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Repeating the same misconception (lie) over and over doesn't make it true.

Just because the oil companies have leases on the land doesn't mean they have a drop of oil in it. Even if it had oil, they would still have to fight the enviro-whackos, and the courts just to drill, even though they own the lease.

You want oil prices to go down? Get more supply!

Tired of speculators driving up the price of oil? Show them that we are serious about getting more supply! The prices will go down immediately!

Economics 101.

top topics

join