It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain: I 'Didn't Love America' Until Held Prisoner (VIDEO)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

McCain: I 'Didn't Love America' Until Held Prisoner (VIDEO)

www.huffingtonpost.com

Republicans have hammered Michelle Obama for her remarks in February that she was proud of America "for the first time in my adult life." Tonight, however, Dan Abrams showed footage he uncovered of a Fox News interview with John McCain on March 13, 2008, in which McCain said, "I didn't really love America until I was deprived of her company."

Abrams thinks McCain's comments could undermine the "right wing's steady attacks against Michelle Obama."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
A great point. Hopefully this has the desired effect, proving the silliness of such commentary.

The idea that people take such comments and try to smear people with them is just ridiculous.

I think the commentator on this show makes a good point. Michelle Obama's words are simply taken out of context, just like the name of this article takes McCain's words out of context.

It is trash politics.

"Michelle Obama: ‘For the First Time in My Adult Lifetime, I Am Really Proud of My Country’"

Link to Video of Michelle Obama's Comment in Context

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The Huffington Post is a joke of a news site, which is aptly named, I think, being mostly just hot air.

They're only slightly more believable than The Onion.

One would have to be completely ignorant of idiomatic English not to know that what McCain means is that he took his country and his freedom for granted until he found himself imprisoned and tortured by the Vietnamese communists.

As George Jones would say, "You never know just how good you've got it till you ain't got it no more."

A nine year old could interpret that statement.

It is an admission of his own naiveté that McCain is owning up to.

As for what Michelle Obama meant, I'll leave to someone else to decipher.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Your AWESOME! I love how the ENTIRE point seems to have flown right over your head!

The article, the commentator, and me all were saying the same thing as you man.

Thanks for sharing you point of view!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Okay, there's no need to be facetious.

I didn't read your full comment and when I went to the Huffington Post, I read this.

Having read that, I listened to McCain's statement, understood his point and made my comment.

My comment was directed to the Huffington Post's spin, not to you or the commentator or his guests, as I didn't hear their comments.

However, I heard Michelle Obama's comment and I didn't take it to be in the same category of McCain's statement for various cultural and contextual reasons.

Regardless, I'm not concerned with Mrs. Obama's statement, as even the First Lady came to her defense after her statement.

So, my statement is consistent with your assessment and those of the news host, which doesn't negate my own take on the Huffington Post's spin and hot air.

So, the point didn't actually go over my head, as my assesment of the discussion was virtually the same as the others. I just listened to enough of the video to support my suspicions.

[edit on 2008/6/20 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

My comment was directed to the Huffington Post's spin, not to you or the commentator or his guests, as I didn't hear their comments.

Once again it looks like you did not do your home work. Check this out, it is the ENTIRE Huffington Post story:

Republicans have hammered Michelle Obama for her remarks in February that she was proud of America "for the first time in my adult life." Tonight, however, Dan Abrams showed footage he uncovered of a Fox News interview with John McCain on March 13, 2008, in which McCain said, "I didn't really love America until I was deprived of her company."

Abrams thinks McCain's comments could undermine the "right wing's steady attacks against Michelle Obama."

Where is the spin? What are you left believing? That John McCain did not truly love America until his capture? Ok, that is a possibility, but you don't have to look to hard to figure out what they are really talking about. Which is the absurdity of such out-of-context smears.

Cheese = Spin

So maybe before you make comments AT ALL you should READ and determine what it is you are actually critiquing. First you dog me, then you dog HuffPo and in both cases you are just plain wrong. We are here to "deny ignorance" mate, not to bask it its putrid glory.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

There is a difference between what Michelle said and what McCain said. If you or anybody else can't see that, then personal agenda's are obstructing your interpretation.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

You can't be serious. You've quoted the same material in your posts that I quoted in my post.

Clearly, you're just being atagonistic as you disagree with me, even when I'm agreeing with you.

Besides, your disrespectful tone is intolerable.

And, what's with the music video?

[edit on 2008/6/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveAndrew
There is a difference between what Michelle said and what McCain said. If you or anybody else can't see that, then personal agenda's are obstructing your interpretation.

I think they're virtually the same. And if people can't see that, their agenda is obstructing their view... Hmmm...

To-may-to
To-mah-to

They mean the same thing. People who are taking a razor blade and jaggedly cutting down the center of these two remarks clearly have a case to make that one is perfectly acceptable while the other is a disgrace to the country.

BS.

I can honestly say that for the first time in a LONG time I am proud of my country. And I certainly know how it is to have a renewed love and appreciation for something after having been away from it (or him) for some time.

Just because I can understand something doesn't mean I have an agenda. The person who rejects one of two such similar comments is the one who has something to prove.

top topics

join