It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Think That You Should Have to Take a Test to Vote?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
It makes sense to me. I think that everyone should have to take a test deciding whether or not you are able to vote. People are not as open to their own views as they used be. Alot of people follow the media now a days and can drastically change your views.

I just think that it is a good idea for a test to be distributed when registering to vote.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

I agree. If they had given tests before voting on the last two presidential elections, maybe we would have gotten a president elected based on his ability to do the job rather than whether or not he seemd like the type of guy you'd like to have a beer with.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
why would anyone want to vote?

all the canidates are screened to make sure that they will do the will of the corperations and not the people before they are even put on the ballot.

so in essance you get to choose between two corperate whores.

pick "whore a" or "whore b"

obama or mccain.

that dosnt take to much brain power.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by TheRepublic]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well in the past, certain individuals were not only required to take a test, they had to pay a Poll Tax to be able to vote.

The Right to vote shouldn't be compromised with a Test again.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The right, ability, and Desire to vote should All be one and the same.

A vote cast == a vote counted.

The Electoral College seems little more than a "ballot-based" Federal Reserve-type approach to our so-called "electoral process".

A vote cast should result in a vote counted.

Otherwise there would seem to great a potential for our "supposed" Democratic Republic to take on the guise of a Moar selective and pointed Corporate Republic. Then, again, perhaps I'm already behind the eight-ball with regards this line of thinking...

? thoughts ?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

That's how african slaves were kept from voting for a long time. Would you like to go back to pre-abolition times as well?

A citizen is a citizen is a citizen. And a citizen has the right to vote. Not a privilege a RIGHT.

You cannot take that away, nor can anyone else. Test or no test.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I don't think you should have to take a 'test' to be allowed to vote but I think that there should be more required than simply turning 18 and registering! I think a high school diploma and minimum of two years of college should be required and the age should be upped to 21.

Jemison

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Basing it on attending a certain level of school, which might imply money, would seem unfair. Poll tax, meaning a cost, is illegal. There is an issue with drivers license requirement (ID) to vote due to it's requiring a fee to obtain.

Given a good voter turn out is 20% to 30%, imagine what it would be if a test was required. I bet it would drop to 10% due to increased apathy caused by the test.

I do wish voters would be better informed and vote based on that information, not just a popularity contest or vote for the likely winner.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think people should at least be aware of the issues for the person they vote for.I know to many people that are voting for someone just because they want to or knows someone else who is voting for them.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't think a test should be required, but I suppose it depends on what you mean by a test, what would it test exactly and how?

Another point, who would be in charge of the test? Anyone else see the problem with giving the choice over who can vote to the people who make and mark the test?

[edit on 19-6-2008 by CuriosityStrikes]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
No, I don't think a test should be required to allow someone to exercise a right.
It would be nice if people would educate themselves before stepping into the booth.

the problem would lie in the test itself. Who would design the test? How would it be graded? I can see the arguments now. "it's culturally weighted", "there is a language issue".

HOWEVER.
I think that anyone RUNNING FOR OFFICE should be required to pass a test.
A simple test of random questions, submitted by the constituency of said candidate. A televised event. No pundits allowed, no hand-selected group of questioners (as done in a debate format). No pre-screening of questions.
In other words, no cheating.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
reply to post by tpeele

That's how african slaves were kept from voting for a long time. Would you like to go back to pre-abolition times as well?

A citizen is a citizen is a citizen. And a citizen has the right to vote. Not a privilege a RIGHT.

You cannot take that away, nor can anyone else. Test or no test.

Actually - it can be taken away. Go commit a felony - see if they'll allow you to vote.

i understand the point behind the OP
but tests can be biased. Dumb people face the same problems smart people do.

Personally - i think schools should be more supportive to political debate. Every class i set through in college was 100% biased in a liberal direction. Anyone who spoke out against anything liberal was boo'd upon in a passive-aggressive manner.

That doesnt encourage debate
that encourages ignorance and "sheeple" mentality from people.

I think we should go back to the old days of political debate. Make the candidates travel on horse back from town to town to talk about the issues, so that tax payer money doesnt get thrown into TV commercials

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It's absurd to suggest that citizens take a test to prove their educated or informed enough to vote. Hell, if that was the case, then perhaps we should implement a similar test to provide citizens with the right to procreate. It makes about as much sense.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
actually a test for the right to procreate makes a lot of sense to me.

Go rent the movie Idiocrisy
its a comedy - but my God what a scary possibility in real life.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
No, I don't think a test should be given, I think voting should be made mandatory. If you do not vote you are penalized $500 dollars on your next tax return.

That would scare the hell out of the powers that be.

They are already trying to keep people from voting. The more people they deprive of the vote, the easier it is to fix the election.

Remember when Joe Kennedy said he wouldn't pay for one more vote than weas needed to get JFK elected. Imagine how many votes he would have had to pay for if everyone were made to vote.

It might just change the system.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
if that is the case, then they should add a check-box for the candidate list

A.) Obama
B.) McCain
C.) None of the Above

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

I can see the headlines now: None of the Above is the New President!

With our luck, some idiot out there has probably legally changed his name to None of the Above. No offense, if he happens to be a productive member of our community!

[edit on 6/19/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The voting process is definitely flawed in the first place. Before "testing" even needs to be mentioned, we should be working on a system that will be uniform and tamper-proof across the nation!!! There are so many variables during a vote though that who knows if we'll ever have a real HONEST system.

As far as having to pass a test to vote, well who writes the test? What is the pass/fail cutoff? I think that testing someone just to be able to vote is ridiculous frankly. If people aren't educated on a subject(s), well so what? We've got a country full of self-obsessed entertainment-hungry no-brainers, mostly due to our pathetic excuse for culture and education, and you think a test should be administered? Give me a break, there are much larger problems to be fixed.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Yea Voting should be Mandatory...
So should attending church, Going to the Gym, and Giving Blood.

Great Idea...
Let me Guess, you support Freedom right?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PsychoHazard

You mean like Obama?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join