It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU to lift sanctions against Cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

EU to lift sanctions against Cuba

news.bbc.co.uk

The European Union is to lift sanctions imposed on Cuba in 2003 in protest at the imprisonment of more than 70 Cuban dissidents by the Castro government.

"Cuban sanctions will be lifted," EU External Relations Commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner said at the end of the first day of an EU summit in Brussels.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Looks like the Spanish have pressed hard, but Britain probably supported it too (Gordon Brown brought votes from his left wing MPs by promising to end sanctions if they supported his 42 day detention bill).

If the EU reckons this will make the US change her mind, it ain't gonna happen *shakes head*. Looks like the EU is playing politics again

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-6-2008 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

who cares if the US gets all in a huff.
like the whole world bloody revolves around them.

this is good, means good business

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
who cares if the US gets all in a huff.
like the whole world bloody revolves around them.

Wait a minute! Do you mean that the US is not, in fact, the bright shining center of the cosmos?

I'm going to have to write my Senator about this!

Seriously, though, I really hope the US drops the sanctions too. We've had sanctions against Cuba for decades, and most of them are silly and pointless. In any case, good for the EU, it's nice to see that they're refusing to be our lapdog. Maybe the POTUS will finally realize that we live in a big wide world and it's not all about us. What the rest of the world thinks really does matter.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
And you gotta ask yourself, "What of Guantanamo?". I mean, the presence of that facility in Cuba is one thing. What happens when American tourists start camping outside the facility on the Cuban side of the fence with protest signs? I'd pay to see their reaction to that!

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

simple, they put up Free admition signs on the wall
protestors go in one door and exit out the other after 3-5 years reabilitation

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Atleast the Cubans will be brought up to par, economically.

top topics

join