It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EFF Obtains New FISA Bill Containing Telecom Immunity, Vote in House Tomorrow!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

EFF Obtains New FISA Bill Containing Telecom Immunity, Vote in House Tomorrow!

www.eff.org

EFF has obtained a copy of the new FISA "compromise", and -- surprise! -- it contains blanket immunity for telecoms that helped the NSA break the law and spy on millions of ordinary Americans, just as we predicted yesterday. House Leadership intends to bring this bill to the floor for a vote tomorrow
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yep, even after evidence of wholesale collection of internet and phone traffic by major companies in the US (I'm looking at you, AT&T), the push for immunity from prosecution continues unabated.

I guess they were just following orders.

Visit the article link; the EFF has a 2-page analysis of the new immunity provision available. In summary of their summary, cases can dismissed if the President says the wiretapping was 'authorized', and validity or specifics of the authorization cannot be reviewed by the court, only the existence of authorization. Trust us, it was justified!

www.eff.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There's also a PDF of the 114-page bill available:

www.eff.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It was already passed today.

err... strange.. I read the bill was passed on CNN and Fox websites a few hours ago, now there's no mention of it anywhere...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Nope, here's a CNN article indicating that it will be brought to the floor 'as early as Friday':

Deal clears way for wiretap-law overhaul

The plan drew immediate criticism from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which said it would effectively gut court oversight of domestic intelligence-gathering. Caroline Fredrickson, the head of the ACLU's Washington legislative office, said the bill "allows for mass and untargeted surveillance of Americans' communications."

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I think America just died.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by applebiter
I think America just died.

Please, consider flagging this post, people!

This stuff is the real deal, not 'warrentless wiretapping' as the media would have you believe, collecting phone numbers that are called and such, but complete capture and storage of all internet and telephone traffic within the United States.

Details on AT&T's "secret rooms":

AT&T engineer: NSA built secret rooms in our facilities
Another AT&T secret room revealed

This bill is designed to prevent the EFF and other's lawsuits from going forward, stopping this information from getting out to the general public!

top topics

join