It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Spots Off The Coast in San Clement, California, USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hi guys i just got this pic from digg take a look at it its get from Google earth by screen shoot .Might be some kind of mineral or some kind of life form i dnt know. here is the link

www.kmzlinks.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I belive this is some type of sea life creating this. I have seen it in person and it was explained to me, but that was MANY years ago, so I dont remember what is called. Its a natural occurance though
I will try and find it..

[edit on 19-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think this is it...but if anyone else can show its something different

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 123space

I grew up on the Calif coast and this happens every year, to varying degrees. It's called red tide and is small creatures, not sure if they are bacteria or not, but they are about that small. You shouldn't eat shellfish when they're out. I think it happens in the fall, IIRC.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Right you are sir! Living in Huntington Beach, California you can smell it before you see it.
Used to surf quite a bit so even swam amidst that crap, I guess I REALLY liked surfing! lol.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Gee I guess you did like surfing! I seem to remember that when it got really bad, they would issue alerts and warnings. I think it's dangerous to go into the water swimming, but of course, you had a wetsuit probably.

I've never seen it as bad as it is in the picture, I would bet that the changing temps and acidity levels in the ocean have made it worse in recent years.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ok, my bad humans. At first read it was classic red tide. Upon looking at the pictures and seeing the brightness and shape of the red areas, it is apparent this is not a red tide. Red tide is much more rusty and spreads out similar to sediment at a river delta. This is actually a Kelp Sustaining project to offset environmental damage due to the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant which can be read about here...

www.sce.com...

Kelp Reef Project

The California Coastal Commission's (CCC) 1997 Coastal Development Permit requires the construction of a 150-acre kelp reef to partially mitigate the environmental impacts of operating the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS). The CCC asserts that operating the SONGS facility is responsible for a decrease in kelp in the nearby San Onofre Kelp Bed.

The Kelp mitigation reef, now formally called the Wheeler J. North Reef, is located in about 45 feet of water off of the San Clemente Beach.

The entire kelp reef will be constructed within an 862 acre parcel leased from the California State Lands Commission. The southern end of the Wheeler J. North Reef is about two miles north of SONGS and just north of San Mateo Point. The Kelp mitigation lease area extends north three miles to the City of San Clemente Pier.

The kelp reef is being constructed in two phases. Phase 1, constructed in 1999, covers 22.4 acres of sea floor. This was the experimental stage and 56 modules were designed to test the viability of using different densities of material and also compared quarry rock and concrete rubble.

These 56 modules, each 132 ft. x 132 ft. in bottom coverage, have undergone extensive study by a team of UCSB scientists retained by the Coastal Commission. The scientists completed their 5-year study in 2005. Their encouraging results show all experimental modules were very successful in supporting the requisite kelp plant density and diverse fish and invertebrate communities regardless of substrate type or density. A preliminary plan to construct the Phase 2 full-scale reef is complete and has been approved by the CCC Executive Director.

The 127.6-acre Phase 2 mitigation reef will use quarry rock from Catalina Island. A low-density mono-layer of 1 to 2 foot diameter rock will be used. The full-scale reef will require approximately 80,000 to 85,000 tons of material to be quarried on Catalina Island and transported to the construction site. The full-scale construction cost is estimated at $16 million with an additional $5-10 million allotted to the CCC staff for construction monitoring and post-construction performance assessments.

The California State Lands Commission amended their lease agreement with Edison in November 2006 to allow the Phase 2 reef to be constructed. Federal environmental review is now in progress and a new Coastal Development Permit is being sought in 2007.

The reef will not only satisfy the CCC-required mitigation of the environmental impacts resulting from SONGS' operation, it will also substantially enhance coastal natural resources by creating valuable habitat for fish and other marine organisms.

top topics

join