It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush Limbaugh Compares Katrina Victims to Iowa Victims!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
No problem. I think it is going to take some time for the news to catch up with the actual events. We did have a video of some people sitting on a mostly submerged car, going through the owner's CDs. They saw the camera and actually made faces and mocked the reporter.

I've had so many gawkers on my property looking at the river run through my yard. People have stood at th opposite banks of the river and laughed at my neighbors while we sandbagged. Someone went into my garage one night because I had to leave the doors open to let the water run through. This is the lovely hard-working Midwest we are talking about.

Even with all that, if I had it 1/25th as bad as the people in New Orleans, you would have a pic of me walking with a box of looted beer and a big smile of relief on my face. It is that tiring and stressful. I had no idea until it happened.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by Sleuth

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
Did they have to rape, no they did not, but those in the superdome were under circumstances that you and I could never imagine!

I'm trying to imagine under what desperate circumstances it would be understandable to rape someone and I keep coming up with a big fat zero. Would you please explain your rationale for this statement because it escapes me entirely?

I make no apologies whatsoever for my sarcasm. I feel it is perfectly justified.

you call yourself slueth...and yet you didn't actually look up the crime statistics in N.O. for the year 2005? the WHOLE YEAR is available.

Your point is what?

I am addressing a specific statement in her post, that being the statement that it is apparently okay to rape people if you're feeling stressed out.

Please reread my previous post more carefully. You have mistaken the content for something else.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rapacious

Originally posted by Zepherian
And why blame them for that? They were in the middle of chaos just trying to survive. What happened happened and the insurance companies should pick up the tab. If I were caught up in that hellhole and freezing cold, the last thing I would be doing is trying to find the store owner to pay for the coat I need. People in NO lost everything, and with the absence of aid for days of course they needed to ignore normal law and order to survive. Normal law and order ignored them...

This thread is infested with mildly disguised racism and no common sense.

It was August 29 when Katrina hit. You ever been to NOLA in August? Not exactly coat wearing weather. And the absence of aid was apparent. Thats why they needed thos TV's, cars, electronics, etc. Because those are the basic needs in any survival situation. People think its food, shelter, and water.....but its not. Its LCDs, bling, and threads.

Another difference is that when the evacuation order came down, people complied.

The midwestern work ethic well known. I wouldnt expect the people in the middle of America to have done anthing less.

I just don't see the comparison between NO and the midwest floods. I remember hearing the same thing when the San Diego fires happened. The question I ask is why do people love to compare every single disaster with what happened in NO?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...
NYT Link

Looting
Katrina Cops Looting
hardly a neocon source here....

Perplexed,

did you bother to check any those articles before you posted them? because what you just did there made very little, if any, sense at all. All of the articles you gave in rebuttal to WyrdeOne's post were written or dated long BEFORE any of the articles that he posted, during the beginnings of early Sept. 2005 to be exact. This means that the only thing you did was prove his point. Do you have any evidence of msm rape/murder/shooting/looting/etc articles that are dated long after the ones that he brought up? because if not, then you really have no point in arguing about the "superdome" behavioral patterns of Katrina population, as it has already (so far) been proven to be largely fictional.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Long time reader, first time poster here. I can't believe what I read from whiteraven. Iowa's destruction is a 2 on your scale, huh? Why don't you come out to the boonies and see for yourself the damage. Yes, maybe we don't have the damage as New Orleans does, but why don't you wait and see what the economic cost is going to be over the next year or two because of the losses of crops, croplands and biofuels. This is going to be far worse than Katrina in the long run.

New Orlean isn't much larger than Cedar Rapids. But the destruction the floods causes was over almost the entire state. Larger cities in Iowa that have been hit are, Waterloo, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Davenport, Muscatine, Burlington. 83 of the 99 counties have been crushed. Right before the flooding, Parkersburg was wiped out because of a tornado. We have been getting pummled by storm after storm this year. We knew the water was coming, but no one anticipated all the levee's that were going to fail. I don't know the count but it's betwen 10 and 20, with more down river expected. One towns destruction because of a levee breach is another towns saving grace. This is the type of flood that is never supposed to happen.

I am proud of the way things were handled here. Everyone bucked up and helped out where they could. We're too busy working, rather than looking for handouts.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by JBenny2447]

[edit on 20-6-2008 by JBenny2447]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 761stbp

because NO is the prime example for how humans SHOULDN'T act when faced with disaster... they set the bar for acting unhuman during a disaster basically, so everyone uses that situation to kind of grade how inhuman people are being.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SRTkid86
reply to post by 761stbp

because NO is the prime example for how humans SHOULDN'T act when faced with disaster... they set the bar for acting unhuman during a disaster basically, so everyone uses that situation to kind of grade how inhuman people are being.

Yeah but what happened in NO was far too complex to compare it to every other disaster after it. How many places that have had natural disasters have even close to the same statistics as NO?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Just some quick facts. Iowa's median income is about 50k, NO is about 25k.
Iowa has 50 people per square mile, NO has about 975.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

There you go! Everyone in NOLA was a victim of white supremist racism. Shame on the the white supremists for forcing the "victims" to rape, loot, and pillage their own neighborhoods and their own ciity. In a time of crisis, the white supremists forced the "victims" into a programmed response during a natural disaster, educated them on the improper reactions during a disaster. Probaly even paid them.
Yeah, thanks for making eveything so clear now.
Forget that we live in country with the most advanced weather tracking the world has ever seen. During Hurricane season you cant tune in a radio or tv that does not constantly update the "catagory XX monster storm" and its twenty five possible landfall sites. Forget that the NOLA elected officials, the very ones the "victims" voted into office, failed miserably to activate and execute plans for evacuation that were already in place and left all the victims in NOLA to face the storm alone while they somehow found a way to escape it all. Forget that all the lame excuses the state gave for not responding. After all the state of LA cant be held responsable for maintaining its own cities and citizens or "vicitms" and god forbid the state of LA should be expected to be held accountablel for such an obvious failure of governing its "victims", and to top it all off, what the hell is wrong with the FEDS and FEMA? Why did they not respond quick enough?Should they have just taken over NOLA.The officials elected by the "victims" failed them all before the storm ever even hit. Respnsablity starts at home! Are the FEDs the ones that created the STORM,? The darned white supremacy creeps, did they use secret technology to create this mess?
So who do you suppose is responsable for the flooding in IOWA? The fires in Califonia? The earthquake in China? The cylcone in Myanmar?
Wow! holy jesus! The white supremist have been busy spreading death and destruction all over the world.
Ladys and Gentlemen, its time to wake up. the race card is dead. The issue of race is an excuse for all sides. Do nat accept it anymore. Realize that when someone plays the race card, its because they dont have any other viable avenues of thought available to them. Its a defense of last resort. An attack that lacks substance.
No good answers to defend the horrible mess that was Katrina and the aftermath that left us all disgusted and wondering what the right anwers and solutions shoud have been and what they will be next time.

Race, jsut doesnt answer any of them. By now you would think that we would realize it.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, I don't think there is a comparison. I cannot blame people for not leaving because the likelihood of a levee breach in New Orleans was not even contemplated. The evacuation recommendation was initially for the hurricane itself, not rooftop flooding.

Then people started dying by the hundreds. That is not happening in the Midwest. In fact, when I was out walking the waters, a big log floated by that looked so eerily like a foot that I freaked. In NO, people were actually seeing real bodies in broad daylight.

Then, people were told to go to the Superdome. And they waited for food and water. People died in there - remember the man who was left outside in the wheelchair? And they continued to wait for food. Eventually, they helped themselves.

I can't help but wonder if the theft of TV's, etc. wouldn't have been avoided if supplies these people no longer had access to legally were brought to them earlier. They were stranded, and I am guessing they didn't have the scuba gear required to retrieve their own canned goods. And I am quite sure they were angry.

We all refused to leave when warned. We had to pump water and sandbag, cuz we live here and we like it. If I had been forced to worry about my home from a filthy cot while hungry and shocked, and then forced to go hungry for that long, I'd be in line to put a brick through a store window. What did people expect? The NO victims were not just going to lay there and stay hungry; I would not have been so Zen about it either.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by darkhorsebet

Dark when I see the news Ill believe you my whole family lives in Iowa and Im from there and I have heard nothing from either friends or family except for one or maybe two SMALL issues. The fact is 99% of the people are on the up and up and I know the game your trying to play. Where exactly did you say you were from again?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

whar you're saying is that you would break the law, and get absolutely nothing done, just because the governemtn didn't step in and take care of you.

plain and simple, YES the did know that the levee were in bad shape for friggen YEARS before the hurricane hit, they knew well before the hurricane got there that it was VERY likely they would get pummeled by it, and they did NOTHING. yet they expected, and in fact got mad when we didn't, reqard them for their apathy and laziness by coming to the rescue and handing everything to them, just because they were "too poor to get the eff out of dodge." im sorry, last time i checked most people are born with two feet, and if i needed to get somewhere and didn't have a car, my ass would get to stepping. especially if i knew that a potentially life threatening storm was about to barrel through my town.

the moral of the story here is:
they had warning, they knew the dangers and they chose to stick around. i'm not 100% blaming them, but they are just as much at fault IMO as their elected officials were.

[edit on 6/20/08 by SRTkid86]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It is OK You don't have to believe me. I'm good with that.

Respect

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

im not saying i don't believe you man, im just saying they knew full well what could have happened. they knew they lived in a city below sea level with a levee system that was in disrepair. they knew a big ass hurricane was on the way to play the big bad wolf and blow their house down. yet like the little piggies did, they just sat there thinking if they ignored it, the big bad wolf would eventually go away.

EDIT:
oops just realised you post wasn't for me....

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Oh my god, how you people love to lie!.

Yea.. ok, like "your" side doesn't do it right?

How about the "lies" that there was no help from FEMA for a week.
depending on who you ask, it was two weeks, three weeks and some think they still haven't received any help.

No food, no water, no heliocopters, no boats, no one cared for 7 days.. or was it 5 or was it 3 or ????

Hell, the evil republicans (cause everyone in the federal government is a "republican") ignored everyone because they were black.. right WyrdeOne?

How many of "your" side perpetuated myths about Katrina and it's aftermath?

To me, making falsehoods about a situation to gain political support is WORSE than repeating those falsehoods for the same reason.

I expect more from a MOD.. oh wait.. no I don't, this is ATS.

WyrdeOne, I say stuff it! with the rest of your one sided rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
honestly, I wouldn't take Rush Limbaugh seriously

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SRTkid86

OK, here you go:

"We did a story tonight for our 10pm news on bad behavior of many Wisconsinites post massive flooding.

For starters, we caught on video 2 teens looting a vehicle stranded in flood waters on Hwy. 38 at the Racine/Milwaukee Counties border. The Oak Creek Chief of Police wants the community to speak up if someone knows who they are.

Now--- we spotted a number of people deciding they would bypass flood barriers and drive through flood waters. Few made it, further draining a small police department and putting the lives of drivers, passengers, and rescuers at risk.

. . .

In addition to all of this, Bauer wants all residents to be on high alert if a service person shows up at your doorstep claiming to be sent by the city to help with your flooded baseement, downed trees or power lines. Any legitimate city employee with be wearing his or her Oak Creek credentials around the neck. Anyone else..... call police." community.myfoxmilwaukee.com...

"Looters have been through some neighborhoods, picking some of the few remaining belongings from those who have already lost almost everything." www.theindychannel.com...

"In western Indiana, Terre Haute also was dealing with serious flooding. Daniels said there had been some looting reported in the city but that extra police had been sent to prevent it from happening again." www.journalgazette.net.../20080609/NEWS07/806090322

I am in Milwaukee County, on (formerly IN) the Milwaukee River. Check my one and only post to see that I photoed a UFO or lens flare at a theater about 20 minutes north of here.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by darkhorsebet]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by luckystar01

yes, but sometimes even the village idiot can have a profound moment that everyone should respect.

the man makes a good point, i think he is trash just like the rest of the people like him, but that doesn't make it impossible for him to make a good point every once in a while.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   

thanks bud!

sorry mods, anyhow, i'll add something to it to make it right.

it appears that with the boys sitting on top of the car "looting" they were just on there to take pictures, there was a news team and a bunch of people around and the news team jumped to the conclusion that they were stealing, they were both given tickets for disorderly conduct and nothing else (just thought i would bring that to the table since it's a bit misleading.)
Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
You basically have said Black people have inferiority complexes and ...let me get this straight....that is why they suffered and died in New Orleans? Am I getting that right ?

Exactly. Sadly, many African Americans out there DO have inferiority complexes, and they feel that "whitey is holding them down." It's something that the liberals have brainwashed them with for decades. Just look at affirmative action: affirmative action states that if you are not white, YOU NEED HELP! That is absolutely ridiculous. I don't care if you are white, black, yellow, red or blue. If you have the drive and determination as a people, you can go just as far as anyone else. Because many black people have this inferiority complex, they feel that they cannot better themselves, so therefore, they won't. If you grow up poor and you have no drive to better yourself, YOU WON'T! And that's why the incidents in New Orleans happened. You had a bunch of people that saw the flood as an opportunity to loot. It was like winning the lottery to them. They felt this was their "chance" to hit it big and exploit the situation. Because they felt they'd never be able to have nice things, they felt the best chance of them ever having nice things would be to loot them. It really IS that easy. There's a reason why middle and upper class people don't do stuff like that. It's because they feel they can attain it on their own, not steal it.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join