It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush Limbaugh Compares Katrina Victims to Iowa Victims!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Slackerwire's right, you seem to be the one who's playing the race card. I know the thought is crazy, but yes, white people are on welfare as well.

I was one of the many EMTs in NOLA after Katrina and there really is no explaining it. I have never seen so many people totally incapable of helping themselves, both black and white. Of course, many of the older people were unable to help themselves but that doesn't excuse the younger ones. I can't seem to figure out why it's so politically incorrect to expect people to take responsibility for things.

The crap in NO isn't only because of the inability for the people there to actually do something productive, the state government also dropped the ball. Both Nagan and Blanco were slow to act and when they did they made incredibly stupid decisions. I don't blame the federal government or FEMA. What other government provides aid to the extent the US does? I don't think it's common practice in China for the government to give $2000 to every person affected by a natural disaster not to mention the credit card the Red Cross gave out with $500 on it that reloaded itself after a period of time. Thank God the federal government came in to clean up the mess the state government made.

Looking at the two disasters, Iowa is coping much better and actually doing something about the problem. I know the idea of taking responsibility and solving problems is insane, but yes, they're doing it.

edit: grammar

[edit on 20-6-2008 by alkali]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by alkali

alkali....that was a decent, honest post. I've just been looking at the things people have written, and yours was by far the best, at least in the latst pages.

Seems....what's been lost here, is the original point. Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot who will do, and say anything for money.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.

There have been comments about how New Orleans has weathered many storms before....some thought it would be a Party! Others took heed, because they could afford to, and left. Levees broke, and no way was the City prepared for that.

And FEMA? "Heckuva Job, Brownie"!!!!! shrub??? Who cares...he certainly didn't.

While the flooding in the MidWest is terrible, it bears no resemblance to a furious Hurricane that bore down on one major city.....

The people, downriver, right now, know it's coming. It's slow, but inevitable....but, even if their plans fail, they have time to plan. Not so, in a hurricane.

And, let's face it....a major city,, completely isolated, compared to devastated communities, spread out along a long river system, and aid and help able to be brought in, from the sides....no comparison, no comparison....

But, typical Limbaugh fashion, fat white bastard that he is....well, he showed his true colors. All he needs is a few more painkillers......try Percoset this time, double dose .... or better... just go away.....Rush!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

I hate Rush L, but I have to agree with what he is saying in this case, I was just pointing out the same thing to my hubby today. There is much more devastation and property loss going on in Iowa, the big difference is that most of the residents you saw on TV during Katrina did not have jobs, they earned money off the streets, drugs, begging for money, shoplifting, grabbing wallets and purses, ect. I am not steeotyping, I spent a good bit of time In NO, and must say there existed in New Orleans a large criminal element that would keep you off certian streets and in your hotel room for fear of that element. Now most of that criminal element is spread across the US. As to the loss of human life during Katrina, I know a lot of these people said they had no means to leave, but I know they had buses provided to do just that, and if I am being told to move from the spot I am in because I might just get hurt, I will move from that spot, I will not stand there and say I do not have any money to move out of that spot, I would find a way. fire does the same thing to families every day, on a smaller scale, but their homes are gone, money, clothes, and Red Cross gives them 3 days in a hotel, some used clothes, and that's it. And they make it. There are Katrina people who are still claiming all this time later that Katrina is the source of their situation today.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Katrina was a storm that brought shock and awe. New Orleans was cut off from help and help did not arrive for over a week or more. (to some longer) The Katrina people, including the police, just got hungry and needed to eat.

Haha, yea they needed to eat alright. They needed to eat those 100.00 Nike shoes and 2000.00 plasma T.V.'s that some people, even some cops, were "looting" from the stores..
Yea, they were starving for high tech electronic entertainment centers and the latest in footware..
I applaud the Midwesterners, instead of seeing this as an opportunity to loot, rape, murder and steal, they fought for their town and for its people, instead of fighting against it.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Yeah they were just trying to survive ? - explain the rape. Hardly the first thing that comes to mind when survival is supposed to be your foremost objective. The fact that people were getting raped quite clearly shows that they were'nt all that bothered about survival seeing as they still had sex on their minds.

I can assure you that a "shocked and awed" person is definately not going to be thinking of his date plans for the evening. I realise you're trying to throw the words "racism" and whatnot in here but you're only serving to make this into a racist argument which it's not. We are known by our actions, not the colour of our skin, I'm sick of people getting away with atrocities everytime because they simply pull the "racism card" and somehow all actions are now justified otherwise it's racist to be upset about it. Someone explain to me how that makes any sense ?

If someone does something wrong, and it upsets people - what relevance is the colour of their skin when what has upset us is the action, not the skin colour. Wake up people, this racism argument is what is destroying our world. The sooner we start looking past race and gender and start seeing action and deed for what it is, the sooner we can live in a world worth living in.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mortalengine

I watched Katrina on international media, and there was not as big an emphasis on rape and looting it seems. Maybe somebody should get some statistics about what really happened as I'm starting to feel what the media reported might not have been an accurate account of what happened. The only thing I know for sure about Katrina is that it took the marines 3 days to get there and they were pratically the first people in, and international aid was not accepted.

I think the whole "blacks are criminals" underscore of this thread is unjust and is a waste of time in the face of the bigger issue, which is how can local government and FEMA mess up the situation so much?

As for Iowa, it's a diferent situation, the rural and urban situations alone invalidate comparison. As for looting... there is the small matter of the WTC gold... maybe that was the black dudes too?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zepherian
The diference is 1) You have a more rural setting with smaller communities that have more personal relationships and less concentrated damage per square mile, 2) You don't have so much of a population that was victim of racism and has a collective trauma and an understandably negative view of the white population, 3) these people weren't abandoned for days in an urban setting and left to their own devices while the police promptly defended the richer population and restricted access to aid while cadavers were floating, 4) you don't have white supremacist morons in new orleans spreading the feel good factor to other white supremacist morons.

And average income, not just of police but everyone, might have something to do with the state of affairs to.

Stop these nonsensical polarizing thread that serve no other purpose than to throw salt into old wounds.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Zepherian]

I politely disagree. The problem is not a racial issue as most would like to think. Remember racial divide makes for great ratings. Collective trama? You don't think that the people who have lost everything in Iowa don't have trama? Remember they actually worked for everything they had.

I think the difference between Iowa and New Orleans is the 3rd generation welfare families that enjoy the comforts that we taxpayers afford them. They decided to wait and cash in when the hurricane hit.

( of course this is a blanket statment.. there are those in N.O. that were hard working decent people... they left when they had the chance )

Of course we had our share of katrina 'victims' show up here. The good people in our community welcomed them. What a mistake...The 'victims' brought with them the sorriness, the destruction of housing, churches were defiled, motels were trashed. Basically everything that came in contact with them suffered.

The same thing happened here when the flood hit. People that were 40oz drinking welfare baby machines cashed in. FEMA rolled up and started handing out cash. The poor people that actually had flood insurance and worked had to fight for what settlement they got.

It's a case of individuals that have never worked, feel a sense of entitlement, and wait for the government to bail them out on every aspect of their lives......plain and simple, cut and dry.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
It's quite obvious Rush is a racist pig who is saying that the heartland "white people" are better and more sophisticated than the black majority in N.O. It is a matter of poverty and being fed up with how the government treats minorities.

Don't get me wrong, I tire of the complaining of minorities , but I am one of the whites that believes the help was delayed because the majority of people hurt in Katrina were blacks. Equality is on the rise, but we are at least 30 years out to true equality between the races.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

a 2?

Yeah

tell that to the people who lost everything

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

You are aware that more than 1 town has been completely destroyed, not just 1 town in iowa but also Illinois and Wisconsin. Therefore your rating of a 2 out of 10 is not only ignorant, but innaccurate.

The people od New Orleans were given 4 days to get out on government provided busses, the morons choose to remain and not evacuate, so where does the blame fall? with the morons whom stayed.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

Actually, as of all reports, the government response was earlier than almost all other disasters. FEMA is not a take care of everything emegency team, they come in after the threat and clean up, not before, not durring.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stinkhorn

Very true
I live in Illinois, central part, and one thing you can say about where i grew up: It floods ALL the time.

And not a little water on the streets, i mean it FLOODS

FEMA has never once shown up at my doorstep with a boat and scuba gear.
Thats not what they do.

They did cut us a check to clean up afterwards
they did offer us assistance in finding help to fix things afterwards
but they didnt do it for us.

Im not saying the people in new orleans "had it coming"

because nobody deserves what happened there

BUT

It's not anybody's fault. Its a natural disaster. Blaming FEMA for what happened in N.O. is like blaming me for the militant government in Burma.

The previous poster is correct is his/her assertion that the people had a .s up. The govenor of N.O. also - repeatedly - declined assistance, saying thye'd be okay (or so i think i remember it that way)

The point is, instead of saying "ok, all fault aside, lets clean up" The people of new orleans looted, pillaged, raped, shot at helicopters, etc
they blamed other people for their problems

Dispicable.

Sorry Katrina happened, but its nobody's fault
Sorry you lost your home, but it's nobody's fault

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
Did they have to rape, no they did not, but those in the superdome were under circumstances that you and I could never imagine!

I'm trying to imagine under what desperate circumstances it would be understandable to rape someone and I keep coming up with a big fat zero. Would you please explain your rationale for this statement because it escapes me entirely?

I make no apologies whatsoever for my sarcasm. I feel it is perfectly justified.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
I live in Illinois, central part, and one thing you can say about where i grew up: It floods ALL the time.

And not a little water on the streets, i mean it FLOODS

If people keep rebuilding in the flood plain then they choose to bear the ordeal over and over. It then becomes part of the way of life there. It is sad but not unexpected.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth

Did they have to rape, no they did not, but those in the superdome were under circumstances that you and I could never imagine!

I'm trying to imagine under what desperate circumstances it would be understandable to rape someone and I keep coming up with a big fat zero. Would you please explain your rationale for this statement because it escapes me entirely?

I make no apologies whatsoever for my sarcasm. I feel it is perfectly justified.

uhmm...i did a crime statistic search on google (took about a whole minute) ...in the "ENTIRE" year of 2005, there were 44 rapes in N.O. out of a population of approx. 455,000

i'll let you ditto .s search for how this compared to other cities

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth

you call yourself slueth...and yet you didn't actually look up the crime statistics in N.O. for the year 2005? the WHOLE YEAR is available.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

exactly

but your words only further my point

we, here in central part of the US, are not blaming anyone for what happens to us.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

OOOHHH... That's right blame the big bad Democrats and liberal's for everything from Noah's flood to the crucifixion of Christ, from global warming to solar dimming and everything in between.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the devotee's of mush loosebowels who turn to him for the news. What a joke.

Might as well throw critical analysis right out the window. That giant sucking noise you hear is your brains being replaced by a big blast of hot air from mush's fat, hypocritical, oxicontin addled ass.

In case you haven't noticed mush loosebowels is about as partisan as you can get (and a blatant racist to boot) it is his job to stir things up, not to legtimately report the news... kinda like faux. No one except his devotees take his take on the news seriously.

And, yes while people stayed in New Orleans after they were warned to get out, that is by no means uncommon. It happens everywhere in every disaster... even in wealthy predominately white communities. People just don't like to abandon their homes, and a lot of the people who stayed were homeowners.

Also a lot of the people who stayed were poor (which is not sin by the way) and did not have the ways or the means to leave... being poor changes how you react to everything.

Also, far from being stupid poor blacks... many of the residents who stayed had already survived direct hits from storms before and felt secure that they could ride it out again. remember, the levies did not fail until after the storm taking everybody by surprise.

And yes people were trapped... it took days to get the people out of the superdome and remember the police from neighboring communities blocked the bridges preventing people from leaving.

As for the looting... despite some looting for gain (I would love to see the reports from a legitimate source proving 2000 flat screen TV's were taken)
by all accounts (other than hardly unbiased hysteric right wing sources) most of the pillaging was done by desperate people and most of what they took was staples that would have most likely been thrown out by returning shop keepers anyway. Gee I wonder how much was lost by shop owners inflating their losses?

As for accounts of rapes, murders and child molesting in the superdome. investigators afterwards found (and reported) that most if not all of those accounts were unsubstantiated, if not out and out false... in other words little more than rumors. I remember watching Brian Williams do a mea-cupula on the evening news when reporting those findings.

There are indeed vast differences between what happened in New Orleans and what is happening in the mid-west right now. Among other things people in the mid-west can see the floods coming and can try to react to it... in other words, unlike a hurricane, it is a disaster in slow motion. Also the police and national guards are keeping people, once evacuated, out of the flood damaged areas, much to the outrage of the owners, as has been reported on several threads here on ATSNN.

In case you haven't noticed there are many ways of being poor. A poor person in America is far better off than say a poor person in, say Mexico and a homeless person in America is far better off than an equally homeless person in say, Calcutta. Also a poor person out in the country is usually better off than a poor person in the inner cities.

A poor mid-western farmer (I am hard pressed to call anyone who owns and farms hundreds or thousands of acres, poor) even a poor share cropper who rents is better off than a poor city dweller... after all they can grow much of their own food. Even a person who rents, if they have a little space can grow something... I know I do... and there is also an active thread here on ATSNN about that as well.

Also while in many ways, while in some regards a trade off, generally speaking it is cheaper to live in the country than it is the city... in short city living eats up more of your income even if you make more than you would in the country. Remember a good many of the people who stayed in New Orleans were homeowners and you do not get that way by living off of welfare.

Finally... there is the nature of cultural, intellectual and/or spiritual poverty. A person who has a rich internal (spiritual) life can handle life's travails far better than an equally poor person who doesn't. And, in this context many of the inner city poor are especially impoverished in this regard.

Poverty is not just a matter of dollars and cents. I am about as poor as you can get yet I also know that wealth is not a matter of things, something even some of those far better off than I never learn. I have learned that while I may be poor that does not mean I have to live poorly.
It is a reality that you either learn or you do not and it is also a lesson that is made harder to learn in our consumer... must have the newest best thing or I am not making it culture.

Like it or not, the implicit idea behind mush loosebowel's comment is inherently racist.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
what you guys arent understanding is Katrina (the hurricane) didnt do this to the
NO. The storm was gone way b4 the flooding had started.. the levies broke and the officials knew this and failed to let the people of the NO properly in advance that they broke.. so really why evacuate if the storm had barely hit an past???
as for the people in IA god bless em its a tragity and they are doin what they have 2 do just like the NO....

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join