ATS SETI BOINC Team Now Established

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
For everyone who is ready to venture into the next incarnation of SETI's search for life outside Earth's atmosphere, then you will pleased to hear about the University of California Berkeley's latest distributed program, BOINC.

BOINC, an acronym standing for Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing is "a software platform for distributed computing using volunteered computer resources."

A SETI program has been setup and running in beta stage, and as of the present day, I have set up an ATS team to partake in the project. I have already started running BOINC on my system (user: SimonGray) and for anyone who wishes to join should visit the following address:

setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu...

Once you have set up your own account and downloaded the BOINC program, you can join the AboveTopSecret.com team at the following address:

setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu...

I look forward to seeing all the previous SETI@home members progress to the new project!

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'll set it all up once I get home around 5:30 CST, hopefully I can do WU's faster with it. right now it's an avg of 7 hours per wu.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The manner in which BOINC works is a a bit different from SETI@home. For instance, on establishing a link with the SETI server, BOINC downloaded 10 individual WU's to my PC, and the first one will take approximately 2 hours 20 minutes to complete (based on my PC's performance).

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Hi Simon/ team!!

Thank you very much for doing this Simon!!
I'm sure people will transfer across in time and announce their moves in this thread!!

For myself, I'll continue with SETI@home client, as I'm trying to get my 5000WU "certificate"!

Thanx again!!

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Genya]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Is it advisable to run BOINC and SETI@home simultaneously?

Do both programs do the same work, or different projects?

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I haven't tried running both of them together, I doubt there would be conflictions seeing as they are two different pieces of software.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Do we know if there are any security risks with this new program? Or is that presumed with any beta software?

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Joined.
Crunching away.
This seems to be running faster than SETI@Home ... first unit looks to be about 3 1/2 hrs, but it keeps speeding up.

-B.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I just downloaded Bonic and joined the ATS Seti Bonic Team. The program looks to be really good.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I am in, Atleast I crunched 6 of the other. Im glad the change came nnow than later.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Present and accounted for Captain!!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Never ran Seti@home before, but my computer is on most of the time. I'll donate a few cpu cycles during the night to a good cause.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
One thing about the SETI BOINC that I don't like... I heard that 2 other people have to process the same work unit you did.

So that's 3 different people who process a single work unit until they get credit. I don't really like the new credit system...it's strange.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hi teams!!

Well, all you BOINC "crunchers" will get a head start on yours truly, so look forward to being at the bottom of the team when I transfer over!!

I've not run BOINC although have absolutely no qualms about doing so, whether for security reasons or otherwise. I'm "sticking" with S@h "traditional", simply becuase I'm going for my next certificate - and to help get the S@h team further up the "all time" team lists before the program is shut down. These "scores" will be archived, I understand, and I think it will be a lasting monument to ATS that we - say - achieve 700th position or whatever...

No conflict of interest, though - good luck with BOINC - personanally, I look forward to being able to access data from the Southern Hemisphere, which Arecibo was never able to provide...

Good luck ATS BOINC team - see you later!!

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
What exactly is the diff. between BOINC and Seti @ home? I don't run either one so I'm a complete newb.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I assume that the whole points for work units scheme that was going to be put in place will now apply eventually to BOINC instead.
I am torn at the moment, I know it sounds silly but I've been so into SETI@home that I'm kinda sad to see it go.
still I've only got 320 WUs to my name so it won't seem as bad as it will for those at the top of the team board to start back at zero.
can someone please reassure me that now is the best time to change over.

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha...can someone please reassure me that now is the best time to change over.

Hi pantha!!

Originally, SETI@home was going to "invite" people who ran SETI@home to "switch" to BOINC via email (to your "original2 S@h account email address). I suppose this was - partly - to try to ensure that the data collected by S@h would get "crunched", rather than "risk" everybody changing over at once and "abandoning" the original S@h program?? (Conjecture, but who knows??
)

Consequently, I've been awaiting for my invite email, as per my "original" BOINC question thread way back in Feb 2003!!
As of *now*, I've yet to receive the invite and, consequently, have decided to stay with SEI@home myself. This is for several reasons:

* As per above
* My completed 5000 WU's is now about 30 days off!!

* BOINC *still* seems to be beta/ alpha release (as per xn's excellent updates!
* ATS SETI@home team *still* exists (though not for much longer
) and it will be nice to get us as far up the All teams list as possible (as we won't get another chance at it!!)

However, each to his/ her own and, as I've written before, I fully accept being in last place when I *do* change to BOINC!!

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I agree, I'm not switching over untill BOINC is the official program, besides, I want to make it to at least the top 100 on the ATS S@H team. Currently at 115

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
up, running, and joined

posted on Mar, 8 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I just started with BOINC after I finished the last of the cached SETI@Home WUs I had I deleted it and downloaded BOINC. And now I joined the ATS team

top topics

<<   2 >>

join