It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have our lives a meaning or purpose?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aldolas
I personally do believe that some of us have lived before and think I have actually had 'flashbacks' out of previous lives.

@ why don't we remember? Maybe because it's part of the rules. Although so-called 'indigo-children' seem to be able to 'cheat'!

There are more people who claimed that they had 'flashbacks' out of previous lives.
And I think that a possible reason why we don’t remember those things and because it’s indeed part of the rules is that they are deliberately blocked in a way due certain “adjustments” in our brain?
But by some of us, as possible by you, are those blockades not 100% functioning and are those so-called 'indigo-children' perhaps capable to influence or 'cheat' those “adjustments” in some way!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I believe that your life can only have meaning and purpose, if you abandon the pursuit of meaning and purpose.

They are like the legendary fairy lights in a forest. You can chase them your whole life. Only becoming further and further away from your path.

If it is your path, you know what to do. You do not need the pursuit of some higher meaning or the attainment of a sense of purpose off in the distance. Those things are not of the here and now. They can never exist in the moment. To have purpose or meaning you need to be here. You need to be now. Your path will follow behind you.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul_Richard
Near-death experience research - something you should look into - points to many being highly critical of themselves.

Thanks for mention that Paul because I really think that those near-death experiences are in fact one piece of evidence for the fact that there is indeed “something” [our soul?] attached to our physical body.
And it leaves that physical body when it is dying.
There are numerous cases about that, even with children.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
Whether there is a purpose or not, i have to maintain the HOPE that their is. it is all that keeps this COMPLETELY SINGLE SOLO mom going!!!

Hi justamomma, for what it is worth, for me it is very clear after some 60 years that what you nourish as “HOPE” is become “KNOWING” for me.
So in your case, never let go that “HOPE” and who knows that one day your “HOPE” today will become your “KNOWING” tomorrow.
I wish you well.
Justapapa and justagrandfather since two weeks.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
No, there is no ultimate goal to life. We exist because the universe exists, and vice-versa, but it's not part of any grand scheme. It's just a pointless curiosity. A random happenstance. Unless you want to argue that existence is inherently more valuable or important than non-existence. I personally don't see how it could be.

Hi Nohup, that what I thought for some 60 years, but who knows what your opinion will be many years from now?
Nothing is written in stone you know.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
I have heard of people finding criticism upon near death experiences, but have yet to come across a sample of anyone describing their higher selves doing it. I'll have to look into that.

Out of curiosity, when addressing our higher selves, what will they look like? Will they look just like us?

I have to clarify something here.

The term "higher self" is in itself a concept that is misleading. Which is why I tend to avoid using it.

Many New-Agers think of the "higher self" as a separate yet attached part of the personality which hovers over us in the Spirit. Over many years of investigation and experience in this area of life, I have found this to be untrue. New Age Group Entities are largely to blame, as they have often impersonated "higher selves" to intuitive types down here who channel their energies.

Technically, when a person is centered, aware, and amplified on the Other Side in The Light: THAT is the higher self. If you go into a deep meditation whereby you feel at peace and whereby you can look at the situation at least somewhat objectively, THAT is your higher self

After we have overcome the "life being challenging" hurdle, if we live long enough, we eventually come to the point whereby we ask ourselves:

Is this all there is?

Ok, how about people that are born wondering this? I have been, for as long as I remember, so I don't think the profound question just comes with age.

Then you are the exception to the general rule and are a little more spiritually aware than most.

Yes, that's a compliment.

I gave up searching for my life to have a deeper meaning. Too much work. I think I'm just supposed to learn how to "go with the flow."

You already know what you need to know.

You have creative leanings that need to be pursued and you already know what this entails.

I think the purpose of my life this time around is not to take things so seriously that it cripples me.

And to pursue your creative side

Thanks for the reply. Your posts always show a great deal of thought, even if I don't always agree with them

You're welcome.

My understanding about all this has not come about easily.

It has been a very long and difficult spiritual journey for me.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacevisitor

Near-death experience research - something you should look into - points to many being highly critical of themselves.

Thanks for mention that Paul because I really think that those near-death experiences are in fact one piece of evidence for the fact that there is indeed “something” [our soul?] attached to our physical body.
And it leaves that physical body when it is dying.
There are numerous cases about that, even with children.

Sure spacevisitor, glad to be of help.

When addressing the issue of near-death experiences, I always like to bring up the following points that are taken from the conclusions of NDE research:

The choices we make in life matters deeply.

Life is a golden opportunity to live a spiritual life in a world of darkness.

Life is very important because how we have lived our life largely determines how far we can go into The Light.

Near-Death Experience Research Conclusions

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Do our lives have meaning or purpose?

My life has the meaning I give it.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Amen!

@ Higher self: supposing that 'my' theory is correct, then higher self is our soul. But to get onto this earth we voluntarily (or otherwise) forget our memories of past lives and 'eternity' to live one life here. After finishing here, we remember everything again until we choose(?) to come back.

@ spacevisitor: maybe it is because we use our brain here on earth, that the other memories are blocked?
(My strongest 'Flashback' was when I was in a bow of a ship that was on dry land. I was going for a p (a friends boat) when I suddenly got scared, knowing I was about to die, I 'remembered' how the boat was crashing through the seas (probably a storm?) and we were fighting for our lives. I know, that I haven't been in that situation in this life before, but I'm sure it was a memory)
Maybe the brain remembers scars that are engrained into the soul!?
Supposing of course, that we (or some of us) have actually lived before.
Maybe indigo children are only the children that actually talk about it. Maybe we all (that have lived before) remember our last life(s) up to a certain age.

Samuel

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aldolas
(My strongest 'Flashback' was when I was in a bow of a ship that was on dry land. I was going for a p (a friends boat) when I suddenly got scared, knowing I was about to die, I 'remembered' how the boat was crashing through the seas (probably a storm?) and we were fighting for our lives. I know, that I haven't been in that situation in this life before, but I'm sure it was a memory)

Remarkable indeed Aldolas and thanks for sharing.

I don’t know if you have seen this, but maybe you find it interesting.
It’s about the amazing story of two boys who has very strong and impressive memories of an earlier live.

The first is about the experiences from a Russian Indigo boy Boris Kipriyanovich and the second is from an English boy [no Indigo as far as I know] Cameron Macaulay.

Boris Kipriyanovich is an Indigo Child, probably the most famous in Russia. Boriska, or 'little Boris', was featured in Pravda here and here, after Gennady Belimov, a university professor in the Volgograd region of Russia, witnessed Boriska, then aged just seven, astound an adult audience during a camping trip in which he held them spellbound for an hour and a half as he recounted tales of past lives on Mars and Lemuria, and warned of catastrophes due to affect the Earth in 2009 and 2013.

www.projectcamelot.net...

Little Cameron Macaulay was a typical six-year-old, always talking about his mum and family.
He liked to draw pictures of his home too - a long single-storey, white house standing in a bay.
But it sent shivers down his mum's spine - because Cameron said it was somewhere they had never been, 160 miles away from where they lived.
And he said the mother he was talking about was his "old mum."
Convinced he had lived a previous life Cameron worried his former family would be missing him.
The Glasgow lad said they were on the Isle Of Barra.

www.redicecreations.com:80...

[edit on 21/6/08 by spacevisitor]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Do our lives have meaning or purpose?

My life has the meaning I give it.

That is true, but what is your view on things when a live is ended so to speak?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

That is true, but what is your view on things when a life is ended so to speak?

My view on things when life has ended? Overview!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I believe that there is a single purpose of life.

The disturbing answer :

The purpose of life is to pass on your genes to other individuals. Being a bit more blunt : reproduction is the purpose of life.

The purpose of life is just a reflection of the purpose of DNA or indeed any replicative molecule, even RNA. The replicator molecule has a simple purpose ... yes you guessed it ; replication. From the beginning of life, one sequence of bases in a replicator has looked to be more successful in its job than another sequence of bases on another replicator.
Perhaps this sense of competition for survival manifests itself as the emotion of hate. The replicator is selfish, it only cares for its own survival and continued replication. To eliminate other competing replicator molecules with different base sequences, is a requirement for survival when resources are scarce.
However, perhaps the replicator realised that in order for greater survival, it must work as a team with other molecules that it produced, that are similar to it. Thus the process of mitosis takes place to produce multicellular organisms. Or within families, we feel affection for those close to us in relation. Every animal infact feels affection for their young or parents because they(the relatives) have the sequence of bases most similar to their own. Perhaps this need for teamwork manifests itself as the emotion of love.

The real question is : Why does the replicator molecule want to replicate and spread in the first place ? Why is it selfish ?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Hi Nohup, that what I thought for some 60 years, but who knows what your opinion will be many years from now?

I wish it was more than just my opinion, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm no spring chicken, myself, and if anything the years continue to confirm my earlier suspicions. We exist, and then we don't. I've found no reason for it at all.

I understand that some people have a hard time with that, and so desperately want their lives to mean something good or important they'll convince themselves of all kinds of fanciful things. I think it's a defense mechanism the body has to keep people from killing themselves, and keep the species going. Otherwise, when confronted with the notion that life is ultimately meaningless, people would generally lose interest in doing anything.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma
Why does the replicator molecule want to replicate and spread in the first place? Why is it selfish?

I suspect it has something to do with the molecule's relationship with time. I've come to suspect that DNA is a result of a reverse-time action, and life exists in a long temporal loop. Basically, DNA is "understood" or imagined in the future, and this understanding somehow finds its way back into the past, either on purpose through conscious interaction with spacetime, or as a result of inherent natural fluctuations of spacetime.

Little bits of time and space, bubbling up from zero point, possibly as a result of interaction with consciousness, may also occasionally trap and transport things (bacteria, for instance) into different times and places. One little bubble might have tossed a bacterium from the future or present into the past, where it evolves over and over in an infinite loop. That's all it would take. And there's certainly no "God" required.

Consciousness creates existence, existence creates consciousness. But it has no ultimate point or purpose. We as individuals live, then die. No reason for it.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by spacevisitor

Do you think that there is “yes” or “no” a meaning or purpose of such why we are here and that when it is “yes” it’s logical that there must be a god or some sort of creator, that you have a soul or such that is the reason for that meaning or purpose?

Yes I agree with that. I do see purpose in our universe. I believe our purpose is to experience. I'm not totally sold on the concept of "souls," however I'm willing to entertain the possibility of a connection to a "higher being." Something (in a higher dimension) which uses living beings to experience this environment. Videogames are a crude example of this....

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by siddharthsma

You are right, my friend.

To put it in more simply, the purpose of life is to have grandchildren.

Of course, this doesn't have to be the purpose of your life, or mine, or anyone else's who doesn't want it to be.

We're human. The purpose of life can go and take a running jump at itself.

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacevisitor
Do you think that there is “yes” or “no” a meaning or purpose of such why we are here and that when it is “yes” it’s logical that there must be a god or some sort of creator, that you have a soul or such that is the reason for that meaning or purpose?

YES ... there is a reason or purpose that we are here.

GOD ... that could go either way. I believe in a God. But having a purpose doesn't necessarily mean that there is a God. My belief is that God is part of that purpose, but it could be argued against as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join