It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana About to Pass Law to Teach Creationism!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
reply to post by eric52081

Sorry, I just don't see the problem with teaching creationism and evolution. If you teach one you must teach the other.
cheers,

Fathom

Agree, Why not teach them both and tell the children we dont have all the answers. It might challenge the next generations to find the missing pieces.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsteve

If this is taught in any class, it surely belongs in a philosophy and not a science class. It is nothing more than someones interpretation of facts they cannot explain, not a theory.

If they feel it must be taught, then it must be taught with no specific denomination of religeon, simply as a form of general Deism, leaving pupils to make their own minds up where they take it from there.

isnt a theory some ones interpretation of facts?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by eric52081
reply to post by Fathom

If the governments want to keep religion out of schools then they should keep creationism out as well. Schools can't even say prayers anymore which is ridiculous. So why teach creationism if you can't even talk about the guy who made them. I don't understand how this is going to work at all.

Ignorant and one sided thinking, that's how I see this OP.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Yeah i'm not sure I explained what I mean there very well.

Creationism is basically someone saying "I cannot explain these findings, therefore someone or something cleverer than me did it"

A proper theory should go "I can explain these findings, evidence supports this conclusion" or "I cannot explain these findings, lets continue in our evaluation and not jump to any rediculous conclusions".

Creationism is not a theory, its a philosophy that could be interpreted many ways.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis

Originally posted by eric52081
reply to post by Fathom

If the governments want to keep religion out of schools then they should keep creationism out as well. Schools can't even say prayers anymore which is ridiculous. So why teach creationism if you can't even talk about the guy who made them. I don't understand how this is going to work at all.

Ignorant and one sided thinking, that's how I see this OP.

he didnt state if it should be in or out.

he is just saying how will it work if you cant talk about the guy(god) who created the world then how can you teach creationism

i think you have miss understood him

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gate13

not in the scientific sense, a theory isn't just an idea but a series of ideas leading to a conclusion.

1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
2. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
3. Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4. the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
6. contemplation or speculation.
7. guess or conjecture.

dictionary.reference.com...
number one is the scientific meaning

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gate13

Ignorant and one sided thinking is how I still see this OP. And I'm leaving it at
that.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk

Originally posted by gate13

not in the scientific sense, a theory isn't just an idea but a series of ideas leading to a conclusion.

1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
2. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
3. Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4. the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
6. contemplation or speculation.
7. guess or conjecture.

dictionary.reference.com...
number one is the scientific meaning

so who says that creationism is not leading to a conclusion because last i read about it there is a big final conclusion.

now if you beleive it or not this is a diffrent matter all together

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Here the do NOT teach the "word of god" etc in public schools, that's what catholic etc schools are for. People shouldn't get upset about this, there's solutions to this simple situation...calming down is the first step.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gate13

the only conclusion that creationism proposes is that the universe is run by god, it makes no other predictions, it has no aspects that are scientifically verifiable, it does nothing at all except say "I believe in God". such things don't belong in a science class

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsteve
Yeah i'm not sure I explained what I mean there very well.

Creationism is basically someone saying "I cannot explain these findings, therefore someone or something cleverer than me did it"

A proper theory should go "I can explain these findings, evidence supports this conclusion" or "I cannot explain these findings, lets continue in our evaluation and not jump to any rediculous conclusions".

Creationism is not a theory, its a philosophy that could be interpreted many ways.

im no expert but if a scientist writes up a theory about something that you have no idea about isnt that some one or something cleverer then you who did it?

regarding your theory on how creationsim works,
to those who beleive it they refer to the book of genesis or the bible as there source of evidence that these events really happen by storys past down by god and eye witness accounts etc..may not be hardcore fact but it is there evidence " a theory" of how we all got here.

you dont have to beleive it if you dont want to , thats the beauty of democracy.

For you yes creationism can be interpreted in many ways just as some scientific theorys can by those who dont beleive in it.

it simply works both ways but just like i tell others. The bible is not the only source of creationism, there is many scripture that can be read that can support creationism's arguments .

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
Here the do NOT teach the "word of god" etc in public schools, that's what catholic etc schools are for. People shouldn't get upset about this, there's solutions to this simple situation...calming down is the first step.

agree tottaly with you that is what christian schools are for if you want your child to be taught the word of god.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mxyztplk
reply to post by gate13

the only conclusion that creationism proposes is that the universe is run by god, it makes no other predictions, it has no aspects that are scientifically verifiable, it does nothing at all except say "I believe in God". such things don't belong in a science class

i agree that it shouldnt be put in a science class, i never said it should.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I think that the law is the separation of religion and state. I have this question for you.

Why is the 'state' involved in the school system? They hold schools ransom by threatoning to take away funds and such. Schools should all be run by either private organizations or by the local government at the highest. Beyond that you have the federal government trying to stick their noses into everything.

Now, for the entire state (as in Louisiana, not 'state' as in feds) to make that choice for the rest of the state is not right. If you keep down to the local government then what happens is people that believe in that will move there and people that don't will move away.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

I think that the law is the separation of religion and state. I have this question for you.

Why is the 'state' involved in the school system? They hold schools ransom by threatoning to take away funds and such. Schools should all be run by either private organizations or by the local government at the highest. Beyond that you have the federal government trying to stick their noses into everything.

Now, for the entire state (as in Louisiana, not 'state' as in feds) to make that choice for the rest of the state is not right. If you keep down to the local government then what happens is people that believe in that will move there and people that don't will move away.

That is how hate is progressed, when you divide people by "category". Also dividing local gov't from the Federals. I can see towns bickering with other towns over their beliefs, much like the world but to a smaller scale.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I lived in La. for a year.

Don't worry, those people aren't too advanced as it is. It's like givin monkeys computers.

They're all a bit off their rockers and too worried about what the law says regarding them getting it on with their cousin then the thought of evolution of creationism.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If we want to make the teaching of creationism alongside evolution a standard practice, perhaps we out to even out the playing field a little, and offer several different views of creationism.

Biblical version:
God created the Earth in six literal days.

Mesopotamian version:
The Enuma Elish involves a family of rival deities and depicts the classic struggle between order and chaos.

Chinese version:
Pangu was a singular being that resided in a cosmic egg with the principles of yin and yang. Pangu escaped from the egg and separated the two principles with yin becoming the Earth and yang the sky.

Mayan version:
Two Mayan deities Kukulkan and Tepeu were the original creators who created man in their own image from maize.

Douglas Adams version:
The irreverent Adams states that the Earth is a complex computer system commissioned by pandimensional white mice to compute the answer to the ultimate question.

Of course, there are many more stories of creationism from around the world. Each version being just as valid as the next.

By introducing a variety of versions of creationism along with evolution, young students will be able to sharpen their critical thinking skills with thoughtful debate.

[edit on 6/20/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
If they teach creationism, they had better not do it in science class. I fail to understand how it can even be argued that creationism and evolution can be taught side by side..... because they are presumably being taught in a science class. As the guy a few posts up said, it's tantamount to saying, 'I believe in God'. There are no falsifiable predictions made by creationists, nor do they have a fossil record to site.
To be fair, there are problems with evolution as well (flowering plants and the rise of pollinators, for instance). But evolution is a theory grounded in scientific investigation. If Creationism is to be taught, fine. But do it in a philosophy class.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Here's an explanation of ID.

www.intelligentdesign.org...

It has proponents and opponents.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

Religion and Science used to go hand in hand...until some "changes" occurred. Pardon the one liner.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join