A.F. cadets in trouble over their "Passion."

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
DENVER -- U.S. Air Force Academy commanders admonished cadets for using military e-mail to tout Mel Gibson's controversial movie about Christ's crucifixion.

Superintendent Lt.-Gen. John Rosa, in an internal e-mail, said the cadets' use of an academy's e-mail distribution list to encourage people to see The Passion of the Christ was inappropriate.

This was reported on AP. What's the problem with saying, "Hey, this is a good movie."?
Did they have a problem with Finding Nemo?

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I can see the military taking an "offical" stand to spank people for this. Not necessarily just because it's using the government dime as a form of witnessing (which Mel readily admits the movie is)... but some on the spam list may be Jewish or *gasp* MUSLIM or *HORRORS* ATHEISTS... the point being, we aint all Christian, nor do we need to be.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I didn't see the movie so I can't comment on it, but if christian should be tollerent of other religions, shouldn't other religions be tollerent of chritianity. Why is it always a one way street.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I didn't see the movie so I can't comment on it, but if christian should be tollerent of other religions, shouldn't other religions be tollerent of chritianity. Why is it always a one way street.

You're right on that 100%. I'd hope if someone potentially offended Christians with the AF system, they'd get spanked too.

I think though some of this stems from the difference in perceptions. You're correct in that the sender may have just been thinking "good movie, check it out" but a non-Christian may feel he's being witnessed to, which is also valid.

I do think mandated tolerance is designed to err in favor of the minority in any given situation, kind of like you said.... but is that such a bad thing?

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Do NOT give this too much though boys and girls.

Federal service academies routinely go overboard on issues having even the most remote possibility of offfense.

I know, I went to one, and they are anal about that sort of thing.

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Do NOT give this too much though boys and girls.

Federal service academies routinely go overboard on issues having even the most remote possibility of offfense.

I know, I went to one, and they are anal about that sort of thing.

Yeah. military email adresses and computers can only be used in performance of official duty. Seeing somebody they should see a movie (whatever it is), or other chit chat is usually not tolerated.

top topics

join