It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listen here buddy...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Aggression, abhorrence, confrontation, prejudice and general dislike towards the world and towards each other lately seem to be the order of the day here on ATS. Which, let's face it, creates a pretty unpleasant atmosphere. It is expected of course, with some very emotional topics being discussed. People are wound tight, which in turn puts a lot more pressure on the staff as well. And all of this snowballs to make visiting ATS more a task than the fun factory (
) it's supposed to be.

But there is no reason why everything should be about crossing swords and being right all the time.

Be More Social

ATS has its very own Social Network for example. You can post comments on people's profiles, read more about them, befriend them, tag them and so on, by simply clicking on there name next to their posts. You may learn that you and your archenemy have a lot more in common than you thought. More than a year ago when the Social Network was launched members spent hours creating brilliant Tags, and tagging each other. It's been ages since I've last been tagged. And I must admit that it has been ages since I last created a tag...

Be Heard

Did you know we've got PODcasts on ATS? I kid you not. Do yourself a favour and go listen to your favourite ATS member (or even your least favourite member
). It's always fun to find out that the member you've been calling dude all this time is actually a lady in her 40's. And tell the people what you think of their PODcasts. Or better yet, make yourself heard. You can earn yourself 2,500 points with the flick of a microphone. I know it can be embarrassing to listen to your own delirious mutter at first, but take it from me, once you've done one, you'll do another... and another... and so on.

And don't miss out on the Raving Rabbit and Wacky Johnny on ATS Mix.

Be Below

BelowTopSecret. The place to take of your shoes (mind the smell) and hang loose. Brilliant comedy. Saucy recipes. Hints and cheats on the newest games. What's happening on the Tube... And, and, and... You're missing out if you haven't seen it before. Then I would like to mention the Member Art section as well. Who knew the wise Masqua could paint?! Think you are good at making Avatars?! I don't believe you. Show me!

Oh, and members are people too.

Be creative

Most people on the board have the ability to put two words together to form some sort of comprehensible sentence. You've got an excellent writer waiting to put pen to paper (so to speak). Share it with everyone and earn points while you do it!

You may also be more "formal" in your writing. Tinwiki are in desperate need of your scholarly abilities! Muchos Points up for grabs!

Be Alert

There is a whole lot of fun in hidden places on ATS. The fun may or may not be creeping up on you. I don't know if this has anything to do with some sort of game. Actually I'm not even sure the previous ATS competition was really done?

Be a happy shopper

Retail therapy is an excellent way to relax... You can ask any lady with a credit card.

Just be yourself

Just now and again, let your hair down, take off your wonderbra, put down your lightsabre, get that cape to the cleaners, pour yourself a tall one. And relax.

That's all I have to say.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

That's all I have to say.

AND, that pretty much says it all...

OUTSTANDING

Semper

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
You know what sucks?

When people try to be a comedian the instant they post (people try to hard). Also, when people post insults in the "tag system". Also, when people don't read entire posts, or research, or think for themselves, before they post. What makes me mad the most is when people type this:

"I didn't read all the post, so if this has been said before I am sorry".

The above is actually is very annoying. I understand threads can be long, but really, at least skim through. There is nothing worse then answering the same question over and over on the same thread.

Also, people who are blatantly wrong, who don't research, and who blind post, just degrade the atmosphere. I think rules should be put in place to not allow that.

Maybe the admins can put a "check box" on every single post inside of a thread, and you have to "check mark" every single one before you are able to post on that topic. This will get people to at least acknowledge each post.

I understand people don't have time to read all the posts, this is why I think people should patiently wait before they post. They should read every post over a span of a few days, THEN POST. Once you read every post, you don't have to do it again for that topic, and you fully understand the topics entire content. This would minimize thread length.

No thread starter can put all information into the first post. They need to answer questions, and post more info while answering questions. What most people do is read the first post, then comment straight at the end, completely missing everything else the OP said in between.

I think the design of forums in general, and blind posting, are causing most of the attitude.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Great post! I have seen more posts than ever lately that appears negative and aggressive and just simply rude.

Chill out, reeelax, enjoy the discussions!

[edit on 19-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Gemwolf...

Way to spell it out!

I'm only but a lowly 'less than 100 points' member, but I applaud what you're attempting to do here. I've been watching from behind the veil of Anonymous for the better part of two years

The tone and mood at ATS does seem to have taken a dive lately, and some of your most seasoned members are just as guilty as the new guys (not me tho...lol....my posts are always constructive :lol

I hope the majority of ATS members read this, and give it some consideration that is deserves.

S&F to you!

DN

[edit on 043030p://444 by DavidsNite]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Excellent Thread Gemster. I think i may have been guilty of some hotheadedness lately. Thanx for bringin me back around.

Silver

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
With moral values dropping lower worldwide and egos growing in forum communities, it is nice that this forum keeps them high up here in such an important place.

Excellent teamwork.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Edit - Double post again

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Grey Magic]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I agree... Some people around here are waaay to serious... High blood pressure isn't good for you.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
What you are saying is so true. I was thinking about starting a thread here on this very topic. Good thing I decided to click on this one first.

AllisONe makes some very good points. I would just like to add something. I have been guilty of the "if this has been posted before..." line but in all fairness I try to be polite and not confrontational. In the longer threads I often don't even post knowing that what I was going to say has probably already been said.

I also find it highly hypocritical when members call you ignorant or a fool with less than perfect English and grammar. I'm not talking about people whose first language isn't English, either. Or, when they make claims such as 'the holocaust never happened, it's a fact" and then call you names for questioning their claims. Why be confrontational? I find when I am greeted with that tone I respond in that tone, and the chance of any quality discussion with that person is out the window.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Thanks for this Gemwolf, it reminds us all of why we are here

Some may think that it's impossible to turn an enemy into a friend - but I am proof that it can happen.
Some people that I had HUGE arguments with in the past are now firm and good friends, and we treat each other with courtesy and respect.

I'd also like to say thanks for reminding us all of the excellent virtues of BTS - if more people used it we would all have more friends and a better understanding of our fellow members

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
An excellent post, Gemwolf...

A great reminder for all...

....Hmmm, social, huh?

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thanks for stating what I can't because I'm new and not a Moderator.

I just can't believe how everyone in life has to make everything a competition. Don't they realize that there is always someone smarter than you and you will find them every time you create a competitive atmosphere. This is whats destorying their self esteem, not building it.

Thanks for a great post!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Excellent reminder. I was going to start a thread about something similar but here would be as good a place as any. Some people just seem to have the need to be angry. Look for something to vent about. Why? Life's too short to spend that energy on "indignation", righteous or not. Also it leads to posts that could be in violation of the T&C. My point? Don't Worry, Be Happy.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
What a brilliant direction to take in order to help cool off some of the tensions floating around ATS. Instead of trotting out a whole new slew of policies and rules, you went the other way and suggested that we should all just get to know each other.

The better you know someone, even if it is just an 'internet personality', the more you will understand them and be less inclined to spout negativity at them. Why? Well, because like I said, you understand them a little better and can more clearly see their point of view.

Well done, Gemwolf! Well done!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Don't forget,even after a long heated exchange of differences..

Rock on guys..

top topics

join