It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP urges ecstasy for war veterans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

MP urges ecstasy for war veterans

www.abc.net.au

The South Australian Government is being urged to consider a trial of the drug MDMA, known as ecstasy, to treat war veterans.

State Democrats MP Sandra Kanck has told State Parliament's Upper House that trials of the drug have shown excellent results for treating United States and Israeli soldiers suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Ms Kanck was criticised by her own party back in 2006 for saying ecstasy could have helped people traumatised by bushfires which swept across Eyre Peninsula.

She concedes her latest suggestion will not be well-received at first.

"I imagine [what] the minister's kneejerk reaction will be ... but I hope that he will go beyond that and look at the science," she said.

"They've done it with rape victims, they've done it with war victims and everywhere they've tried it in these trials they have found it to be a superlative drug."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ectasy or MDMA is so far better than any anti-depressent crap, in fact they should let us all legally have it! Only reason they don't is probably due to big pharma not being able to patent it.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by primamateria

Where can i apply for the Aussie-army?!
. Anyway, yeah instead of repressing all emotions it enhances the euphoric one so that is at least better than going around like a walking dead.

But on the other side of the coin, if you have read 'A brave new world' they have some ecstacy-ish stuff that everyone has to take and that is not a way i'd like to go. Consider the amount of people that has a basically crappy life and only going for the side-effects (depressed feeling). I would say that they should take the reasons of the crappy feeling and yank it out at the roots.

But this sort of stuff to combat traumatic disorders would be a good idea. Heck, putting the whole continent of Africa and the middle east on this stuff for about 1 year and we could end up with world peace

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
umm having been a DJ for over 15 years and having taken "X" I fail to see how this drug can be used as an anti-depressant. Outside of the 4-5 hours of "high" you may get from it when you come down it depletes your body of saratonin and causes a temporary form of severe depression afterward.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yes but was it pure MDMA everytime? Most pills are a shameful pale shadow of what a pure MDMA experience is, and pure MDMA is clean and clear with little come down. And in relation to personal development, it absolutely helps in talking and dealing with issues.

Having said that, you got to respect it and know what you are trying to do when using it. I'd choose it everytime over something like efexor xr anti-depressants which are seriously zombifying.

MDMA needs to be legalised for further research!

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
umm having been a DJ for over 15 years and having taken "X" I fail to see how this drug can be used as an anti-depressant. Outside of the 4-5 hours of "high" you may get from it when you come down it depletes your body of saratonin and causes a temporary form of severe depression afterward.

Well Put.....It also majorly dehydrates you and damages brain tissue with long term use. It may be a short term solution but it is very addictive and dangerous. Ive used it many times and the next day always sucks...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

pure mdma still depletes your seretonin. that's what it does. Releases all of it at once. leaving you with none until your brain makes some more. bananas,chocolate and 5htp from your local health shop can help with this.

I know that in the 50s,it was used in marriage guidence counseling. And they said it did 12 months work in one session,but i think that it's a dangerous thing to use as a "cure" for anything.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
mdma in light doses should not be that extreme. So instead of taking a party dose (what will effectively take out your ability to function) take a tenth of it so you will be able to use the seretonin instead of emptying it out in one swoop.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Back in the day, before they banned it outright here in the states, I had pharmaceutical grade stuff and did not experience depression afterwards... [shrug] Did it 3 or 4 times.

And I have been prone to depression. Heh.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Just for record, MDMA is one of the safest drugs you can take if you are sure that what you have is in fact MDMA. Many studies confirm this. I am not advocating for it, just stating fact.

Furthermore, the study that attempted to claim it causes brain damage was seriously flawed and did not even use MDMA in the actual study with mice!

Interesting article that is sort of related:

Legal Drugs Kill Far More Than Illegal, Florida Says

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

heh,they did a simular thing recently IIRC. They were testing xct on monkeys,and accidently used amphetamines.
muppets.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
As a soldier in the U.S. Army, this is kinda alarming. for a couple reasons, but since im on ATS lets state the obvious....

They(governments, political powers, etc.) seem like they are truly tryna just drug us up to numb us down, Why in the hell would u want to give Extacy (a drug known to eat away your brain tissue) to those suffering PTS from being in wars?

That stuff is so odd and scary it aint even funny.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Why in the hell would u want to give Extacy (a drug known to eat away your brain tissue) to those suffering PTS from being in wars?

Soldiers are trained in warfare. Once you leave the armed forces, 'they' want to neuter you as much as possible and take away your ability to fight back once Martial Law becomes a reality. I mean, that's what I would do if I was 'them'.

Just my opinion of course.

Peace

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Dr Love]

apc

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Recreational MDMA is two to three times the adult dose. That's why it depletes serotonin over time and causes synapse damage, usually causing severe depression instead of preventing it. Taken in proper dosage the more pleasurable effects of the drug are not very noticeable and it in fact has significant therapeutic results. Unfortunately the probability for patient abuse is extremely high so any treatment should be undertaken with supervision, otherwise it will do more harm to the patient than help.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by apc]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Unless you made it yourself, you can never be sure what street X has in it. It can be cut with many different drugs, including amphetamines, or hallucinogenics, or barbiturates, etc. On top of those possibilities, is the ratio with which it is cut. How much MDMA are you getting in that pill bought out of a club bathroom in a cute little plastic baggie? Unless you have bought an extra X for analysis each time you took one, no one can know what was taken. Anecdotal evidence regarding the use of illegally obtained black market Xtc is useless and misleading, at best. Harmful and disinforming at worst.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
As a soldier in the U.S. Army, this is kinda alarming. for a couple reasons, but since im on ATS lets state the obvious....

They(governments, political powers, etc.) seem like they are truly tryna just drug us up to numb us down, Why in the hell would u want to give Extacy (a drug known to eat away your brain tissue) to those suffering PTS from being in wars?

That stuff is so odd and scary it aint even funny.

I agree... what a way to be controlled and manipulated..

I guess this will also solve the problem in whether soldiers are able to return to the battle field.

War is ugly and at time unnecessary.. using this drug or any other makes me wonder if their just "recharging" a "body" just to do their bidding on the battle field.

But I could be wrong and they do have the "soldiers" interests at heart...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Can't they just stop having wars?

"War Veterans Urge Ecstacy For MPs"

Nashnak.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Right then, I don't often post here but seeing as people are posting complete and utter **** I figured I better put them right.

@primamateria - MDMA is not an anti-depressant. It would be used to help treat PTSD because it allows you to open up and talk about things and come to terms with things you wouldn't normally be able to.

@Frank Black - MDMA does not dehydrate you, the excessive dancing in a hot club while on MDMA will dehydrate you not the drug itself. Also would you like to give me details as to how MDMA is very addictive and dangerous?

@Harman - How does a party dose of MDMA 'effectively take out your ability to function'? A very high dose will probably keep you sat down and in a little world of your own for a while, but a 'party' dose far from takes away your ability to function.

@Dr Love - MDMA is not going to numb you down and take away your ability to fight back, from personal experience I don't think I could fight while under the influence unless it was a life or death situation, but that is only while under the influcence and not afterwards.

@Anon Poster - 'Why in the hell would u want to give Extacy (a drug known to eat away your brain tissue) to those suffering PTS from being in wars?

I would be interested in seeing your sources for MDMA eating away brain tissue, personally never come across that one myself.... If your confused about why they would give the drug to people suffering from PTSD then do a google search for MDMA and actually learn something about the substance before posting bullcrap about it.

mdma.net... is a good place to start, few hours worth of reading there.

Just to add I do personally take MDMA on odd occasions but before doing so I spent hours researching what it was going to do me and how it did what it did. I find it really annoying that people claim to know all these things about it when they clearly don't. That even includes people who have been taking it for years. I have learnt a lot from my experiences with it and feel I am a better person because of it. These MP's have their heads screwed on as MDMA would no doubt help a lot of people

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
GHB would seem to be a much better (and safer) alternative.

GHB: The First Authentic Antidepressant

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
i took mdma for a few months and ended up with Depersonalization disorder. Its been a year and im still suffering, everyday is quite hellish

top topics

join