It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No hijabs allowed (to sit) behind Obama (at a rally)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   

No hijabs allowed (to sit) behind Obama (at a rally)

www.news.com.au

TWO Muslims at a Barack Obama rally were barred from sitting behind the podium to prevent their .scarves appearing in images with the candidate.

In two separate incidents Monday at a rally in Detroit, Michigan - which boasts one of the largest Muslim communities in the US - women wearing .scarves were told they could not sit in the section that forms the visual backdrop behind Mr Obama, Washington-based Politico.com reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Wow, ok. How discriminatory can supporters of a black presidential candidate be?

A very interesting propaganda spin, for sure...

This is another reason not to vote for any of them, they're all as corrupt and controlled as each other.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

This was going to get negative attention no matter what. What a pointless article...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
as sad as it is i can understand why he did it , he dident want photos of him talking at a rally with their scarves behind him and used by the people who still belive or at least claim that he is a muslim. but still its racist and considering he is supposed to be the politician who trancends race i would expect better of him, and by trying to avoid a political pitfall he walked straight in to a worse one once this story gets spread around.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by krill
as sad as it is i can understand why he did it ,

He didn't. The campaign/rally volunteers did...

Originally posted by krill
its racist

No, it really isn't. Were they not allowed to not sit behind him because of their "race"? No.

[edit on 6/19/2008 by apolluwn]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
ok its not race, its culture the point is they screwed up and it will most likly be used against him .

[edit on 6/19/2008 by krill]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
yeah,it's not racist,it's ignorant. But that's politics for ya.

That goes for the non news story aswell.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I surmise that the reason they did it was because Obama has been accused of being a Muslim so often. His opponents would use the picture to "prove" he was Musim, or at least to portray him as buddy-buddy with them.

It's sad when people have to discriminate against another's religion just because of public opinion. It's also sad that a real Muslim probably wouldn't have a chance to run for president in thids country. Too much animosity after 9/11, and just pure prejudice.

Now Obama risks losing the Muslim vote. In this situation, he just can't win.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
I surmise that the reason they did it was because Obama has been accused of being a Muslim so often. His opponents would use the picture to "prove" he was Musim, or at least to portray him as buddy-buddy with them.
It wouldn't be any newsflash that he has Muslim supporters. I'm sure even McCain has a few.

It's sad when people have to discriminate against another's religion just because of public opinion. It's also sad that a real Muslim probably wouldn't have a chance to run for president in thids country. Too much animosity after 9/11, and just pure prejudice.
Obama had a choice to allow them to sit there, he just chose not to.

Nobody forced him to discriminate against these people, it was his own decision to do so, so please stop trying to pass the buck. He's 46 years old, and should be accountable for his own actions.

Now Obama risks losing the Muslim vote. In this situation, he just can't win.
What a lame cop out..

new topics

top topics

join