It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surveillance World: Webcams, Google Earth & IP Addresses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
What do you get if you add webcam-technology + google earth + IP Addresses?

Answer: An orwellian Big Brother Surveillance World.

The direction technology is currently going it will be easy to locate and observe anyone in only 10 years. I will be talking to someone online. I get his IP-Address and type it into google earth. Google earth will direct me there and will have pictures, videos or live-webcams for me to see the place. Or I´ll be able to locate someones current position on the globe by tracking his mobile phone.

This has already come true but its not widespread yet. Its only a matter of time until everyone will be using it and the entire planet will be mapped out and under cam observation in this way.

How to get people to accept total control and zero privacy? Involve them in the surveillance, make them enjoy it.

And people really are enjoying it. We all love to "travel" to the other side of the world using webcams and google earth. Some of us do like to use an IP address to find out where someone is.

So, without anyone noticing, the stuff predicted in science-fiction novels of the past, has already come to be.

Add to that the emergence of nanotechnology which already allows for cameras and recording devices we cant even see, and privacy is a thing of the past.

What are the implications?

How will this change our behaviour?

Could it be stopped?

What else will the Future hold in terms of surveillance?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

You are so right. At the moment you can do a RIPE lookup on an IP, and if the ISP has managed the whois information correctly, you will get their site contact name and site address back.

Currently this manly applies to businesses. They often have a range of IP addresses rather than just one and ISPs have to submit this information to RIPE. If they do not, they run the risk of being denied further ranges of addresses from RIPE in the future. If your broadband connection has a static IP address, chances are your details will be linked to it. If not now, in the very near future.

ISPs also tend to have lots of whole 254 address subnets where the contact information points straight back to the ISP. These are primarily for dynamically assigned IP addresses (ie, a user switches on their router, it autenticates with the ISP's RAS and is assigned one of the addresses in this range for a certain lease time).

Unless you are a government agency who has the power to forceably ask an ISP to hand over user information, there is no easy way to link a dynamically assigned IP to a users postal address. It wouldn't surprise me in some countries if this is already happening, but in the UK at the moment, this isn't the case.

The moral of the story is:

If you have broadband internet through your service provider, try and get a dymanic IP rather than a fixed one

Even now you could create a simple script that passed IP address information to the RIPE website and then takes the address result and passes it onto google maps. Very easy.

At the moment you might only get an accurate result a fraction of the time, but methods of collecting and storing our information are always getting better, faster and more accurate....it won't be long...

-Asni
(ex-UK ISP - that shall rename nameless - Technical Support Engineer)

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Thanks for adding the detail of private addresses being linked to IP-Addresses.

I imagine some future in which this information is linked with google-earth but a bit of a different one: A Live-Webcam-Google-Earth.

As I understand it our online behaviour could also theoritically be tracked by advertisers who prey on us.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

As I understand it our online behaviour could also theoritically be tracked by advertisers who prey on us.

Our behaviour already is being tracked to a certain extent. Facebook launched intrusive targeted advertisments on 6th November last year. There was such an outcry that they removed it by December.

link

They didn't get away with it because it was so blatent. You can be sure that there will be other companies right now doing this in a more seruptitious way.

What you do whilst browing online is tracked nearly all the time. The owners of the site can run simple webstats to show your netmask, IP address, pages visited, referal link (where you came from before you hit the site) and much more. This is just server side information. Add cookies into the mix and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Search engines are biggest sites to be weary of. They are free to use and who knows what they do with all the information they collect.

GoogleWatch

I wonder how many people are concious of security whilst surfing, yet have google toolbar installed?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I imagine some future in which this information is linked with google-earth but a bit of a different one: A Live-Webcam-Google-Earth.

I don't think that is too far off either. If you haven't seen it already, take a look at the MS Photosynth demo below. It is truelly awesome technology and quite worrying. The possibility of linking all the images on the net into a 3D online environment is staggering.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I wasnt aware of that being one of the uses of google-toolbar. Luckily I never did install it. I guess thats what they call intuition.

On another note:

Nanotech Flying Spy Drones

The implications (when connected to other things, such as google earth) are amazing.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Asnivor

MS Photosynth? First time I heard of it. Wow.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Anybody have any idea what the state of the art in nano-surveillance is in this year 2008?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

For Starters it looks like there are plans using nano-tech in the 'Star Wars' space race with China.

A generation of mini satellites is being developed that would be so small they would be difficult to detect from the ground. They are said to be defensive, but would still be capable of surveillance, reconnaissance, communications and - theoretically - the destruction of other satellites.

www.atimes.com...

Next up is a conference that was held at the end of last year by Canadian and EU officials discussing exactly this topic. The Forbes article is titled "Scary Stuff"... indeed.

Government and corporate officials responsible for compliance with privacy laws in Canada and Europe are using a whole new language in 2007. Much of the jargon has passed by the American public. So listen up. This is important. At their annual meeting this fall in Montreal, there was little of the traditional talk among the international privacy people about the nuts and bolts of data protection. Instead, there were urgent and distressed discussions about "uberveillance," "ambient technology," "ubiquitous computing," "ingest­ible bugs" and nanotechnology.
The terms may be overlapping and may in fact be somewhat synonymous. They all refer to an environment in which electronic media are everywhere, gathering and processing information in a seamless way, beyond the control of each human being.

Here's the link, a highly reccomended read www.forbes.com... and I will post more as I find it...

[edit on 24-6-2008 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

My Browser has a tendency to reload and I lose my posts as I'm writing them, so I'm breaking it up in parts. Apologies, but I'm paranoid (and a lousy typist

“Nanotechnology experts have suggested that nano sensors — tiny devices too small to see with the unaided eye and able to monitor sounds and physical conditions — could be put into paint and sprayed on a wall. “David Guston [Director of the Center for Nanotechnology in Society at Arizona State University] told Earth & Sky, ‘And anything and everything that happened in the room could be observed and transmitted by those nano sensors that were painted on the wall. And this has profound implications for what we consider private versus what we consider public, how we behave, how we handle data that’s gathered through these methods that are enhanced by nanotechnology, where such sensors could be omnipresent and utterly unobtrusive.’ ”

www.foresight.org...

Nanotechnology for drug detection: www.nanowerk.com...=1946.php

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I wasnt aware of that being one of the uses of google-toolbar. Luckily I never did install it. I guess thats what they call intuition.

It's best to have the Page Rank feature "disabled" in the google toolbar Options.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Thanks for the official news references

I wasnt aware that total surveillance is already a taken-for-granted reality that nobody bothered to resist.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think there is a total lack of awareness -- by the general U.S. public -- of how insidious and diffuse surveillance technology is. And when a general populous does know -- i.e. London -- they just... accept it.

It was astonishing to me how fine everyone I spoke with when I was last in London was about the ubiqiutous use of cameras, literally everywhere, including taxi's. It was not only possible but probable that you were being filmed, by the government, from mulitiple angles at every given moment you were in a public space. It is completly unnerving to experience and, I think, what we are heading for. NYC's 'ring-of steel' being the first deployment here.

It is also worth noting that crime in London has not dropped in any significant way, nor have more crimes been solved, in the five (I think) years that they have had this total gov. surveillance in place.

As to nano-technology, there is, IMO, a serious lack of education about how dangerous and potentially disruptive that technology is period. And how wide-spread the use of it already is in every day life... but that's another thread. I'll check the boards and if there isn't much on it maybe I will start one. Cheers!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It is becoming so widespread and expanding so rapidly, that i think most people just accept it as the norm, the natural advancement and progression of new technology.

Plus anytime it is mentioned in the newspapers and news channels, it more or less only mentions the possible benefits it may bring, not the dis-advantages and the ways it could be miss-used.

I don't think it is a bad idea on the whole, if used in the correct way, but lets face it, that is just not going to happen.

If i wanted to track anyone, from one person to a collective group, find patterns of someones journeys, areas to watch a person from where they reside, i could not think of anything better, and if you put that into the grand scheme of things, it is a very scary thought indeed. Anyone that knows to much or is about to see something they shouldn't.......

TheWayISeeIt - I don't think it is a matter of people in London simply accepting it, but more of a case that there isnt an aweful lot they can do about it. In such a short time they were rife down nearly every street, the average person would get filmed over 300 times a day, and that stat applied a few years ago now.

Peace

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So,I dug up this old post,and was wondering how easy it is to track down someone through the internet.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks

new topics

top topics

join