It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you do>

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I posted this in a thread, but felt it would be a good topic to get some peoples opinions on what they'd do in the immediate hours after you heard this as breaking news over the radio:

'' Significant events unfolded today on the NYSE, as the DOW plummeted to a 80yr low. Crisis hit major banks as financial shares all but disolved as people all over America decended for a run on the banks. The President will be making a public address at 7:00pm tonight to address the situation. Oil jumped $39.00 to close almost at $170.00 a barrel as major fighting broke out in Basra while massive bomb explosions crippled saudi's output production. Police and national guard have been deployed across supermarkets and banks as its feared people will start using force to secure money and food in what looks like the darkest day in American history ''

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I would stay inside and be glad I'm well armed and have enough provisions to last months.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I'd head to the nearest store all casual-like, and if things looked dicey (if not, then stock up on food and bottled water), i'd be very tempted to go into hibernation (or at least, the closest thing a human can experience to it) for a little while to see whether or not things would settle down.

The advantage is obviously, a much smaller nessecity for food, although water will still be of quite important concern.

I prefer to take a more discrete approach to dealing with the potential problems that could arise, and the time period in which the problem can evolve into something worse (or something better) is critical to this method.

It will become clear within a matter of days as to the true extent of the situation, and provided i still have the phone line i can use the internet to check up every so often.

If events take a turn for the worse, at least i'll be in an environment of relative security until the mobs start ransacking houses for food.

My approach to dealing with them is to simply stay out their way and start a new life as a scavenger until i find a decent side-arm.

At which point, i might start carving myself some territory, if nessecary.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Top off the tank, stop by the grocery store on the way home.

Stop by the liquor store and buy as much hard liquor as I could put on my credit card.

Go home and watch TV.

In dark times no commodity is more prized than a good bottle.

The luxury items are the most sought after. You cannot eat a gold brick, and it will do you little good in trade when someone has a precious loaf of bread, and all you have is a lump of shiny metal to convince him to give it up.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
, and all you have is a lump of shiny metal to convince him to give it up.

True, but one good swing to the head would be pretty damn convincing!

But good point on the alcohol, never thought of that.

plus, it would be a good bartering item for someone not desperate.

But, financial institutions have just gone bust...

will your CC even work?

My Main point is,

what happens if the banks refuse to honour your cards

ATMS are all but empty
The banks have closed their doors because their out of cash.

all you have is whats on you now.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I would head to the store and max out my visa/master cards with food(rice, flour), tobacco, seeds, clothes for the winter(cheap clothes), bottled water, water purifier, sell the car, buy a bike, and purchase an illegal firearm.

Then I would sit back and watch as everything the elites planned unravel. Many people would starve to death but you know what?...I am from Iraq and I have been to the point where we were hungry and thirsty. So I assume this can not get any worse then terrible UN sanctions, and destroyed infrastructure.

I would also purchase a portable furnace, and I have money stored away not in a bank so in case my bank does not honor my money stored in there.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Equinox99]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

all you have is whats on you now.

Well, i am aware of methods of which i can procure items of nessecity without people knowing about it (yes, i'm talking about thievery, although i'd never practice it unless it was nessecary) so i'd be more than happy to watch who is going to stay in their homes and who is going to stay with their families.

If, after a few days, the situation does not make a turn for the better, i'd start thinking about finding a way into one of the empty houses (There are advantages to being an opportunist in times of crisis...).

One must be willing to sacrifice any pre-conceived notions of surviving with foolish pride still intact if not already armed and prepared, it's as simple as that.

Which is why the people who are armed are going to have others drawn towards them like flies if they advertise that fact.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
My point was to convert the worthless credit card to commodity without the slightest thought to ever having to pay it off.

They will not shut off the credit system.
There is no reason to.

It will actually be a maximal time of profitability while all these transactions are taking place, and before they realize that there is no hope of ever collecting.

Once the credit companies realize there is no hope, they still will not shut down. Even when the money is worthless, they are only middle men. They will try to maintain their position in the market and the existence of their organization, just in case there is a recovery. It costs them nothing if no one can collect. They have nothihg to loose. I hope this helps.

Expect local stores to turn to barter brokering centers once distribution channels break down. Everything will become more localized in origin.

If you have friends you trust, and you have superior arms to those who might pose a public threat. Having a well worked out plan for a local barter system will make you the most respected man in town and the number one prospect for survival.

Rule ONE: The rules must be exquisitely simple.

Rule TWO: Generosity and fairness must be an absolute, as well as swift harsh discipline showing mercy (when possible) for anyone causing trouble.

Rule Three: 90 percent of all profits should be directed toward the less fortunate without compensation. Good will is worth more than good wine.

Rule Four: 50 percent of each transaction should go toward the barter fee.
This is fair and just, because you say it is.
You are providing fairness security and stability to the community. In short you are making survival possible for many, they will eagerly defend you and be removed from the list of potential threats.
No one will object, if they do, they are a troublemaker. See rule TWO.

Rule Five: Humiliation before violence. I suggest public stockades.
Let others meter out limited violence if they must express it toward a transgressor, like putting water in front of them and refusing them a drink or throwing mud at them. You are their protector.

Rule Six: Publicly post the rules so that all know and understand.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
If you have friends you trust, and you have superior arms to those who might pose a public threat. Having a well worked out plan for a local barter system will make you the most respected man in town and the number one prospect for survival.

Sure, i can see why you would think that.

Assuming those friends you trust and the other people in town play nice, of course.

Times of crisis do strange things to people, you can't judge someone based on what they were like before the crisis (not that you should in the first place).

Even the most naive flower-child may find himself being turned into what most people would look at as a 'true soldier'.

Indeed, many of the people whom already possess certain skills may find themselves at the end of their rope, unable to adapt to the evolving environment because they simply over-prepared themselves.

Generosity and fairness are only going to get you so far until your "band of trusted friends" start looking at you as a weakling, at which point they can pull the rug from under you thanks to their "Trusted" status among the community.

new topics

top topics

join