Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

NoBama Nation: Obama votes "No" to not weakening safeguards from unfair foreign trade practices

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This Legislation was introduced by the Senator of my state, Byron Dorgan.

The Legisltation states that no laws that provide safeguards against unfair foreign trade practices should be weakened (further weakening of the Safeguards causes an even already disasterious trade deficit to become larger").

China has been notorius for unfair trade practices and the issue has been raised by several members of Congress to do something about it.

Obama states he is pro-China and for continued trade, even under the unfair practices China is conducting, thus creating the larger Trade Deficit.

Why would he not want to keep strong safeguards against such practices strong? Is he batting for China on this one?

His Vote:

"NO" Vote 232: H R 2862: Dorgan Amdt. No. 1665; To prohibit weakening any law that provides safeguards from unfair foreign trade practices.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

where might your information come from? I dont see a source link
( i need to compare it to what i have, just to make sure my database is up to date)

just curious

because all i can find on my end, is Obama's stance on China, says this

Enforce existing safety laws against Chinese products

Q: What would you do in order to give the U.S. more leverage, to be able to deal with China at least as an equal partner? And are you willing to do that despite the consequences?

A: We have laws on the books now that aren't being enforced. This is what I mean in terms of us negotiating more effectively with them. Part of the problem is, is that the relationship has shifted over time. I would say toys cannot come in. We will have our own safety inspectors on the ground for food.

and

Insist on labor and human rights standards for China trade

The U.S. should be firm on issues that divide us [from the Beijing government] -like Taiwan-while flexible on issues that could unite us. We should insist on labor standards and human rights, the opening of Chinese markets fully to American goods, and the fulfillment of legal contracts with American businesses-but without triggering a trade war, as prolonged instability in the Chinese economy could have global economic consequences.

Source about 1/2 way down the page.

So it seems to me as if Mr. Obama is "batting for china" in a manner that says "play by the rules of equal labor and human rights, etc"

Just my take on his talk though.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

I'd like to make it official and issue a public challange to JetXNet to an ATS debate in the debate forum.

The Topic is up for grabs, but my first suggestion is

Obama v.s. McCain

since that seems to be the topic everyone wants to talk about

But, as i said, im up for changing it, just reply to my u2u, Jetx.

We can setup rules, get with mods, get the boundaries, etc.

I look forward to your reply

join