It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-State Dept. official: Hundreds of detainees died in U.S. custody, at least 25 murdered.»

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Ex-State Dept. official: Hundreds of detainees died in U.S. custody, at least 25 murdered.»

thinkprogress.org

Colonel Wilkerson, in your prepared testimony, you write that ... “I needed to balance in my own mind the overwhelming evidence that my own government had sanctioned abuse and torture, which at its worse had led to the murder of 25 detainees and at least 100 detainee deaths. We have murder at least 25 people in detention. That was the clear low point [lower end of the range] of the evidence.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is really shameful.

Admitted murder? By our own government?

While so many say this thing is no longer a surprise I can't help but feel really horrible about this.

thinkprogress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
108 deaths......25 chalked up to murder....what happened to the other 83?

And murdered by whom?

That's a lot of "accidents" to cover up.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The story of ONE murder victim made me sick. Talking "Taxi to the Darkside" here. But to be honest, I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher. But then again, this is only what is being reported for now.

[edit on 6/18/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This is what amazes me about our media.

It was televised directly from congressional hearings and there was no news coverage about it in the MSM?

Shouldn't this be the lead story on every news channel?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cdoug1

Shouldn't this be the lead story on every news channel?

Heck, I'd go with a bit piece at the bottom of the hour. Anyone here see one? Bueller, Bueller?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Even though the RightWingnuts like to rail against the "Liberal Media"
The lack of coverage of this story, shows me that the PTB do actually control the MSM.

Drive by media, yeah right!

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
S...
S...
S...

*note... Self editing*

Jeez... These guys just get more and more vile the deeper you dig.

I knew I hated the Repukes and their PATRIOT Acts, and "torture's Not Torture!" B.S.

When will we get justice?

Will another group of angry arabs (or whatever you believe) have to attack us again for us to wake up?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
and this is probably on land,,,,,what about the floating jails,,,,,,,,"Sarge, he's not breathing."

sarge,"man overboard!!!" see yah later,,,byebye evidence

this,,,,and the red cross admission of hiding them, when will it end

we are getting as bad as the terrorists,,,,,sorry butn it's true,,,,,and i thought we held ourselves to a higher standard,,,,guess not anymore

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
.....h........f.......d....s......

25 murders ? that they know of ? 83 'accidents.......

Now think long and hard on this. They will kill prisoners that we know now as the truth. The main stream media will hide this from the public - that we know now to be 100% the truth.

Are you still going to go peaceful into the night as and when they come for you in any future clamp down ?

25 murders says not blooming likely.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ho hum.. more of the same. Hundreds died here, thousands died there, nobody cares. Top admin officials authorized torture, the CIA ran secret black sites, the US broke international treaties and performed illegal renditions to other countries. yawn. Bush and Cheney ignored reports that Iraq had no WMD and lied 935 times to lead us into war against a country that had no defense and was no threat to us. So what.

Sounds pretty callous huh? But if we really cared, wouldn't we be doing something about it?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by cdoug1
108 deaths......25 chalked up to murder....what happened to the other 83?

Who said they were accidents? There doesn't have to be anything nefarious (as in them being murdered by agents of the US government) about the other 83 deaths. They may have died at the hands of other detainees, by their own hand (suicide), and pre-existing conditions at the time of their imprisonment.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cdoug1
This is what amazes me about our media.

It was televised directly from congressional hearings and there was no news coverage about it in the MSM?

Think about what you're asking here. You're asking the public-at-large to care about a bunch of Taliban or al'Qaeda soldiers. The vast majority of the public would be unable to find the least amount of sympathy for them. As far as they are concerned, every single tortured and murdered prisoner was deserving of it.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
SaviorComplex speak for yourself.

I will not simply 'believe' these were terrorists or soldiers. Just because they were renditioned or sequestered out to Gitmo or some unknown vessel at sea doesn't make them guilty of anything. Even the PTB knows that - that's why they HAVE to hide them, because they cant PROVE anything either way - and they feel they shouldn't have to - the word of the torturer is good enough for them. Not for me.

Of course many will agree with you. Until they are the one's guilty and beaten until confession or death frees them from the patriots.

Even one innocent man subjected to this treatment is too much to sacrifice if we are going to declare that we practice justice in a fair and moral way.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Then what kind of gulags are we running if those are "viable" options? And they are gulags, let's not mince words. Just like the Soviet's.

Have you read the Constitution, ever?

Where is your humanity to try and spin this outrage away?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottago
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Then what kind of gulags are we running if those are "viable" options? And they are gulags, let's not mince words. Just like the Soviet's.

Have you read the Constitution, ever?

Where is your humanity to try and spin this outrage away?

Could you please tell me what I said that got you so outraged? What do you think I'm trying to spin away?

Have you ever read the Constitution? Or are you just another knee-jerks who repeats the phrase like a parrot demanding a cracker, without any sense of what the words mean?

[edit on 19-6-2008 by SaviorComplex]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Where are the official reports that document these "murders"? Or is this just one guy talking?

Even the most basic investigation reveals a few facts. This is all hearsay, as far as I can tell.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Yeah, just one guy talking. The former chief of staff to Colin Powell, testifying to the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Civil Rights about torture.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by "And Yet..." at the below url
25 detainees murdered, found to be homicides, not escaping, but just from being in US custody. I read an account in McClatchy that said one prisoner died from asphyxiation after being hung from a ceiling for hours. Autopsy showed he had crushed ribs from a beating.

Sometimes words fail.
2009-10: the war crimes trials begin…

Quoted Comment

I wanted to repost the above because the crushed ribs indicate prolonged and emphatic violence. The being hung from a ceiling bit is a "WTF!" if I ever heard of it....why is it a good idea to hang a prisoner from the ceiling?

America...the home of the brave (if you are facing an unarmed prisoner and have the backing of mulitple armed soldiers) and the land of the free (if you do everything you are damn well told and don't even dare to look anyone in the eyes).

My government disgusts me and the ideologic BS that people think this country stands for is a lie. Always has been and always will be.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by MemoryShock]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join