It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hi, I'm JasonJNelson...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think it is time for that introduction;

I know, I know, not a new member, right? But I waited on purpose...

I mean, seeing as I didn't want to introduce myself too early,( I mean, what If I didn't like you, or you didn't like me, right??!!) and I didn't want to not do it at all, I am going to tell you all a few things about myself, in hopes that I will be able to gain more, and add more, to this website.

I joined ATS in December of last year. My goal for joining this site was to (originally) gain more information into the UFO phenomenon, and possibly add some labor time to that field.( I actually got here just as the Stephensville episode took place!) I know that this field is full of a lot of junk at times, but seeing as I know that they are real, I wanted to see more discussion on what their (the aliens) objectives were....

Well, I stayed at that forum for quite some, and Added a thread to help better prepare myself, and others, for a sighting.

And THEN, I noticed all of the other forums here on ATS. It has been enlightening in some cases, and disturbing in others. Just like ufology, there is a lot of junk to sift through in every field.

Overall, it has been fun, and exciting at times. Sometimes, I spend too long scouring News Sites and ATS though..

I even find that I take this board too seriously, lol. (and then back away from the keyboard, slowly.....)

So why am I writing this introduction now?

Here's the thing; I have noticed some things here on ATS, and I wanted to vent/discuss them without derailing any thread. I think that I have a different perspective from the average person,( or maybe I don't and just think I do) that many of you may not have thought of.

For lack of a better way to introduce this, I will do it in numbered form:

Things to Remember here on ATS

1) Not all of us have been on a board before.

I admit that when LOST was on last fall, I tried following a message board about the show, but gave up before ever posting. But my point is, a lot of people are new to this type of interaction, and being treated like an idiot by members, (for spelling errors, lack of proper search, incorrect posting area, etc.) or condescended to for having a naive opinion, (chem trails, drones, etc.) does not help the cause. You claim that you want people educated, but attack viciously anyone who makes a post that is not as good as you can do. This keeps many off the boards, or worse, defensive and angry!
Which leads to my next point...

2) Things you wouldn't say in person shouldn't be posted.

I know again, the point of this is to allow people to have a voice they can't or won't have in our society. However, one should not post things that are demeaning, offensive, or attacking, seeing as they wouldn't say it in person. I mean this in no way to be offensive, but I KNOW that maybe 1% of the people on this site would say to my face what 20% of you have. And those 1% are either crazy or stupid. (or as my Dad says, a bit of both)

3) Some of us are that stupid.

I type slow, I barely just learned how to BOLD items, and my Photobucket account makes me want to destroy my computer. If I had a crystal clear video of Aliens attacking D.C., I would never be able to post it online. I am sure that lots of new members here are just like me. Give us a break, will you? At least we are trying!

4) Allow me to say "I'm Sorry!".

The fact is, Typing for some people is like having a conversation out loud, but in my head. As a person who is very demonstrative, I know that the implied meanings in my posts or threads may be confused, and maybe before attacking, you should ask for clarification. I have had both outcomes on this site, and the effect was amazing.
In one, I had a member U2U me, and ask me to clarify a seemingly offensive comment. Upon reading it, I understood the confusion, and fixed it. No harm no foul.
However another time, I was attacked by mods and site owners without anyone giving me the benefit of the doubt. ( the nice person mentioned was a mod, so this is not a generalized statement) Maybe sometimes things are just mistakes and confusion. Maybe sometimes we get too caught up in our own conspiracies, and think that everyone is out to get us. Maybe we should let people explain themselves, and believe them.

5) Everyone is not the "Man".

Not everyone who disagrees with you is a debunker or disinfo. A lot of people are just "denying ignorance".
The same goes for the other way around. All newbs are not hoaxers. They are not here to clog up the boards, and most are not trying to break rules. As I mentioned before, for many, this is a new arena. It would be appreciated if every time some overzealous person who defended a video that they saw on the history channel, (which probably sent them here in the first place) wasn't attacked. HALF the things I believed before I came to this site have since been debunked, and I would have SWORN that they were real before. Just lay off a little...

6) There are common understandings between all people.

This is the last point I wanted to make. Look, some facts are in contention, but some are just realistically understood and should not require a reference or explanation all the time. If it is common knowledge that gravity makes you fall down, go BOOM, then it should not have to be cited and referenced! If I see one more thread about the constitution, an Article we can all read in person, and have people say, "where? Where does it say that?".
ARRGGHHH!!!! Get the picture?

Anyway, I will leave it at that, and maybe a few more personal details in case you made it this far:

I believe Creationism and Evolution are not mutually exclusive, but actually part of the same.

Aliens exist. Period.

God exists. Double Period..

Liberals want to take your children, and Republicans want to sell them. They should work on this together.

If I ever want you to take me seriously, I will tell you so in the OP. Otherwise, it is a different slant on a topic long discussed. Like me trying to find some humor in everything. (my motto)

I am a Marine Corp veteran, who is going to school while living with two disabled vets. Cut me some slack if I vent here sometimes.

I think that the Mods here actually rock, and If I ever get a different title, it will be because of your hard work. (had to read far to get that one guys)

I think that we all need to seriously stop asking IF aliens exist, to HOW does this affect us and what do we do next?

Thanks for the Rambling space, hope that I see you all on the boards!

Jason J Nelson

P.S. Thanks for the early support of Greeneyedleo, Internos, Semper, and midnight destroyer. (I got a sociology "A" because of all of you, on an online experiment)

[edit on 18-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Good post, I am glad you are still here.

I started posting more to practise my written English (I never wrote in English before I joined ATS), and being someone who does not talk much I was not expecting being so involved in ATS in these four years!

This is really a great place.

And, better late than never, welcome to ATS.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Hiyah Jason,

I'd say welcome to ATS but we've crossed paths so many times on ATS, that I am not going to wish you my usual obligatory "happy posting" since I know you've been on here and already "happy posting" for awhile. Thanks for you thoughtful introduction. Look forward to more of your threads and posts

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hey dude.....almost ditto. i read this for fun. I post to this ATS for fun.

if I really wanted to get with it I would........do more then post.

I say read this to have fun and keep a pulse.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hi Jason. I had some hostility issues initially here. It took a few slapdowns and some patience to get to know the board and respond appropriately.
Two things have helped me greatly. Don't take 'anything too seriously', and humor is the best motto. Avoidance of obvious baiting is also a plus. Good luck in your ATS travels.
John
sp

[edit on 6/18/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Let's see, did I ding you or ring you? (Mod talk for penalize or applaud.
) Maybe both. Doesn't matter, I don't hold grudges and I'll ticket my mother if she's wrong, and then pay the fine and take her to dinner. (I may be a stickler, but I'm not stupid.)

I'm glad you stuck around. The drive by posters never make more than a shallow splash. I have faith that you'll be a great addition to ATS, long term.

Most threads I add a link to the T&C, but I think we've covered that ground.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Since you posted, I wanted to make sure that you understand my point. A smack down (in a professional manner) by the mods is a good thing. These are the people who have to help filter out the good new members from the drive by hate mongers!

I have gotten both from you, and no you never offered dinner,
But I will never imply that a mod has done anything but be helpful to me.

Some of us just have a different place and role here at ATS. I think of myself as a creative thinker and writer, who chimes in on topics from time to time that are WAY over my head.
(and Essan Serves a MEAN slice of humble pie... see "chem trails")

Hopefully I will be able to add more than the occasionally pithy comment to a thread and hopefully my life experience counts for something when I do add something to a thread that is meant to be serious! I just need to find my place....

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Good point Jason. I believe I have an almost equal number of applauses as well.
But I don't try to post intelligently to avoid dings. It garners respect among board members over the months.
That is more important to me than anything.
(I didn't get dinner either LOL)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Dinner it is fellas.

Chow down----------------->

I keep plenty in stock from all the drive bys who drop it off.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Great post J.

There is some sound advice contained in your words.

Liberals want to take your children, and Republicans want to sell them. They should work on this together.

This made me laugh, alot. It's taken me almost a minute to post this reply.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Thank you Jason for being so honest and for putting forth an issue that I wish I had put forth.

I am a newbie here and I am looking for truths and a place to be able to commiserate; not to be miserable. I have found that very same coldness being thrown my way. It is all I can do to try to remain on a moral high ground but this is very hard when you have bullies trying to play king of the hill. I will try to accept these obstacles as a right of passage. I have to say, however, that it does at times seem just not worth it. I may hang out for awhile longer...

Hopefully I will see you in the soup.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by anyone

I know that I am probably the worst person when it comes to advice like this,

BUT, I think that you should realize that although it may seem like a rite of passage, it is really more of a communication breakdown. This format is in itself "cold" at times.

How many times have I read threads that contained information that I already knew, and hoaxes that newcomers SWORE to be real? The Isaac (?) drones are a great example of this... The point is, I think that navigating this site and learning how to communicate with all of these differing personalities can be daunting.

Three months ago, I was dinged for a comment. I was left with only a thousand points, and no one reading any of my threads. A week later, still disheartened, I defended a thread, and received my first applause! This inspired me to write almost a hundred threads, and do even more research! And then just recently, when I received a double slam in the same day, I almost quit the site in disgust. I know now, however, that I just need to stick with it, and as I said before, to find my place here.

Stick around, try other forums. You never know what will float your boat!

[edit on 18-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
thanks - I'm new here - and still trying to figure things out

a few of your points really helped me out

still need to go thru the handbook more thoroughly - I have to start over a lot

I love a good discussion/debate/argument (just before it becomes a blood sport) and I really hit the jackpot at ATS

I'm not usually much of a joiner, and was mostly eavesdropping at first

but I'm here - and I'm never bored

I'd like to quote you, but that's how I screwed up last time, so I'll just say - I could've written your personal details

except I wasn't in the Marines

thanks again -

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Heeeeey, do I know you from somewhere?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I agree with everything you said ,but the things which are discussed on many of the boards are never discussed in most casual conversations things like I was looking at a wine glass when it suddenly shattered. This is probably one of the few places where people can post something like that and not only find other people who have experienced such stuff but even the few people who understand exactly what happened.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Belated Welcome To ATS Jason
I greatly enjoyed your Letter to the People approach to your introduction.
My Method was to just jump in Create chaos debate make friends and foes
kinda a penguin 101 approach
heres the link if your care to pop in and say hi
www.abovetopsecret.com...
hope to see you around

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Thank you for popping by
I fowwed your link here to reply

[edit on 18-6-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

top topics

join