It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Cop Slams Black Teen Face First into Wall and Knocks Out 3 Teeth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

White Cop Slams Black Teen Face First into Wall and Knocks Out 3 Teeth

www.mlive.com

A handcuffed Kalamazoo teenager struggles with a Public Safety officer as he is led down a hallway toward a booking room, then the officer shoves him into a wall, injuring his face, in a police video released Tuesday.
The officer involved, Derek Nugent, has been placed on a 10-day, unpaid suspension, Acting Public Safety Chief Jim Mallery said this week.
The teenager, who is African-American, lost three teeth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Video is here: www.cnn.com...#/video/us/2008/06/18/vo.mi.officer.injures.teen.surveillance

More police brutality against law abiding Black Americans. All this kid did was spit on the ground at a bus stop, and he got smacked into a wall and lost 3 teeth for it. These cops treat Black Americans worse than Guantanamo.
They'll either electrocute you with a taser to death on video (that video was pretty gruesome - www.shoutfile.com...;dont_kill_mequot
and then play with your dead body on camera (I mean the video with the Deacon guy) or they'll smack you face first into a wall after they handcuff you. Pretty sad.

www.mlive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I detest police brutality as much as the next man, but had the roles been reversed(i.e. an African American Officer, and a Caucasian prisoner) I seriously doubt we'd even be hearing about this story IMO.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well I guess tax payer money will be paying for the cosmetic dentistry that the teen will have in order to fix his smile.

As usual somebody will be paying for the bill and is not going to be from the police officer pocket.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's seems like the article is trying to emphasize that it was an african american.

Come on I don't give a sh#t who the person was getting beat up by the gestapo, I still don't like cops.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by theendisnear69]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I live in Warren a city that borders Detroit back in the early 90's when I was 15 I got arrested for trying to break into a car. I kept the cops searching for 2 hours before they caught me. The cop that caught me was a little ticked and I got lippy with him. He smashed my face into the hood of his car and broke my nose.

Around that same time I was hanging out at a freinds house and the cops got called because of a fight that happend. When they showed up they told everyone to leave. My buddy said up yours to the cop and they arrested him. Two hours later he called and said they took him to one of the worste parts of Detroit beat the crap out of him and left him there.

My buddies and I are white it just don't happen to the colord folks.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Key word in the article is "struggles", hmmm maybe a watered down version of non compliance, resisting, or even fighting? Gee, if the article is biased enough to push "African American" into your face you think maybe they downplayed some potential serious $hit that might have been going on?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
I detest police brutality as much as the next man, but had the roles been reversed(i.e. an African American Officer, and a Caucasian prisoner) I seriously doubt we'd even be hearing about this story IMO.

Yes, well people always say things like this as if retribution were the whole of the law. I got news, it isn't. There is alot of stereotyping and unfair profiling amongst police forces, not only that, but no training in constitutional rights, and civil relations. Instead we are training using military doctrine and propaganda compound that onto already indoctrinated stereotypes and you have a dangerous, paranoid, military force "protecting" the general population. even if the roles are reversed this is still abuse and a flagrant violation of our rights.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
it didnt look like the cop tried to hurt the kid the cop pushed him into the wall after the kid tried to pull away

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Wait:
First off, is the "Public Safety Officer" a police officer? No, he is not - don't try to twist this into some "dem pigs be hatin' on a brutha!" drivel.

Also, did anyone bother to read this little tidbit?

Since 2005, 20 misdemeanor and felony charges have been brought against the teen, but he was not prosecuted for any of them because judges determined he was mentally incompetent to stand trial.

20 felony/misdemeanor charges - I hardly think the "African-American" (how I loathe the term) classifies as a "saint".

About two minutes into the video, Nugent begins walking the teen down the hallway toward a booking room when a tussle occurs and the teenager appears to jerk away from Nugent

Let's be frank: The incident did not occur out of cruelty on the part of the Public Safety officer.
As much as I dislike the treatment of the teenager at the hands of the officer, this was not a case of "the good black kid that accepts his punishment being cruelly beaten by his racist white arrestor".

It's always 'bout race with us white folks, innit?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by wantsome

Ok a little reality check is in order here, from reading your post what you said to us is that;

1. You committed a crime and evaded the police, then got smart with the cops.

back in the early 90's when I was 15 I got arrested for trying to break into a car. I kept the cops searching for 2 hours before they caught me. The cop that caught me was a little ticked and I got lippy with him. He smashed my face into the hood of his car and broke my nose.

learned a lil lesson did ya?

2. Your buddy started getting lippy with the cops, after they had to be called to break up a fight?

Around that same time I was hanging out at a freinds house and the cops got called because of a fight that happend. When they showed up they told everyone to leave. My buddy said up yours to the cop and they arrested him. Two hours later he called and said they took him to one of the worste parts of Detroit beat the crap out of him and left him there.

your buddy learned a lesson didn't he?

And you wonder why you got beat down?
Man a little reality is in order here, when you do stuff like this your going to get beat up on. Sorry the police aren't there to be nice when your being a
to them. They are there to uphold the law. You committed two crimes, and now your complaining that you got beat down? Dude. Seriously?

Im not going to defend the cops in this situation. However what I am going to defend is this. If someone is breaking the law there are punishments for this. What people are missing here is the article points out this little bit of information.

The teen shouts profanity and is eventually turned toward a wall as an officer appears to hold him by the back of his neck.

About two minutes into the video, Nugent begins walking the teen down the hallway toward a booking room when a tussle occurs and the teenager appears to jerk away from Nugent.

Ok now the teen has done two things, first he has just insulted this guy, then he attempts to escape. This no matter what color you are will get you beat down by a cop. Sorry folks but this looks a little like the teen was asking for it at most and an accident at least.

Mallery said Nugent has been a Public Safety officer for nearly 10 years and that this is his first excessive-force complaint. The Public Safety officers' union has filed a grievance over the suspension.

Looks here as if the guy just was trying to control a person in custody and misjudged the use of force.

I get real ticked off when I hear this "it's because I'm black" thing. Seriously? that crap don't fly anymore, that card has been used up. this kid got his teeth knocked out cause he was being a jerk and trying to escape not cause of the color of his skin.

[edit on 6/19/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I watched the entire grueling 7:28 minutes of this video. I even listened to the entire thing. I read the story from multiple sources.
This kid had a severe beating coming to him, mentally challenged or not. He was smart enough to know all of the profanities and "thug-talk" at the beginning of the video. He was also demented enough to gain 20 misdemeanor and felony charges. As a teen, this kid is taking advantage of his situation and special treatment.
If he thinks the smack into the wall was bad, he is only setting himself up for a major disappointment when he turns 18 and gets into trouble. All of his tough talk and thug behaviour is going to get him hospitalized or dead.
I applaud the restraint the PSO had to let his ranting go on that long. He should have gagged and bagged him well before that point. I have thrown people through doors for less.
The mlive blog link has a voting poll. The majority vote so far is that the officer should not have been suspended and I agree 100%. I think the most that should have happened was that he apologized for breaking out 3 teeth and that should be the end of it.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
So, now you all accept police brutality?
It is their job to enforce the law. Last time I checked, smashing someones head against a wall wasnt in the manual. It doesnt matter how lippy someone gets, you cant beat them over it, nor can you put them head-first into a wall for pulling away...

Police are there to catch criminals and protect the people. The Justice system is meant to do the rest. Police engaging in street justice are no different to the thugs they target.

top topics

join