It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain calls for building 45 new nuclear reactors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

McCain calls for building 45 new nuclear reactors

www.breitbart.com

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) - Sen. John McCain called Wednesday for the construction of 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030 and pledged $2 billion a year in federal funds "to make clean coal a reality," measures designed to reduce dependence on foreign oil.

McCain said the 104 nuclear reactors currently operating around the country produce about 20 percent of the nation's annual electricity needs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well I don't really know what to think of this. Forty five sounded like a lot at first but I didn't know that we had 104. Maybe someone who knew more about energy issues and his motives behind this could chime in...

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well, this is a good idea. Along with the 'clean coal' and nuclear power plants we should at the same time start drilling for oil. This way, we will become energy independent and will not have to rely on foreigners.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This is a great Idea. I'll bet McCain will also volunteer to have all the high level toxic waste stored in Arizona too. Perhaps somewhere around Tuscon.

All those in favor of nuke reactors should also be willing to take in their fair share of the waste, Instead of shipping it to and thru my state, where it was forced down our throats with backroom dealing by that traitor Senator Pete Dominici.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I remember hearing on the radio that one of the original founders of Greenpeace said that nuclear was the way to go.

The US has to do something, but I'm afraid that if Obama is elected, all of this is flushed. He doesn't want to drill, doesn't want coal, doesn't want nuke. Sure, I'm all for an alternative energy source, but what do we use until then? Gerbils in a cage?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Yea, this brain fart is going to work considering that China consumes 55% of the worlds concrete and that their is only one core containment foundry in the world (Japan) who just happens to be backordered for several years.

Yep, sounds great on paper... reality is another story...

[edit on 18-6-2008 by pityocamptes]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Wow, I didn't know any of that. You kind of forget that somebody has to build the damn things. How backed up are they? Or rather, how long does it take to build one, 2030 is a ways off but he's obviously not going to be around to bother with the length issue.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Parabol]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Nevada is a better place for the waste. But there are tons of acres in AZ that would be suitable.

Besides, you should be happy to do your part for the greater good!

PS After reading many, many of your posts I think your name describes you exceedingly well...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes
Yea, this brain fart is going to work considering that China consumes 55% of the worlds concrete and that their is only one core containment foundry in the world (Japan) who just happens to be backordered for several years.

It's not hard to see that McCain is grasping at straws trying to gain favor with the uninformed voters on energy policy. Political smoke and mirrors as usual.

Expect more grandiose plans from Mr. McCain that have no basis in reality.
He looks more senile everyday. You would think his handlers and PR people could do a more competent job. I don't think poor John is even going to make it thru the campaign.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
McCain will talk about it for 4 years and then it will take another 15 years for all the environmental impact studies to be done. Add another 10 years for engineering studies and bids. In 25 years, we're ready to break ground. This is how stuff really does work on these scales.

This is a dead issue from the start and nothing more than politics.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

Some of the most important parts can be cast only by a single foundry, Japan Steel Works. “The global supply chain is going to be the pacing item,” Mr. Wallace said.

Mr. Fertel, of the trade association, said that any company that wanted to have a reactor on line by 2015 would need to have ordered some parts by now. Even in the best case, some plants on the industry wish list will take as long as 2020 to be built, he said.

As of now, the industry cannot even build the simulators it needs for the complex, time-consuming task of training new nuclear operators. “You can’t build it till the design is firmed up,” Mr. Wallace said.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone

PS After reading many, many of your posts I think your name describes you exceedingly well...

Thanks for reading my posts and the left handed complement!

Gator, you may find this interesting.

www.rmi.org...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thats awesome.I don't see any problems with new nuclear plants.They just need the beefed security along with them as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I agree that we're going to have to build more nuclear plants if we want to meet future energy requirements without radically escalating carbon emissions.

Still, it's not enough to get me to vote for John McCain, or for that matter any other Republican than Ron Paul

Frankly, I think with oil prices the way they are, nuclear is going to make a comeback regardless of who wins the election.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Not Obama. He's not into nuke, so don't think that even one more plant will be built.

I guess he's putting his money into that gerbil powered engine I read about.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
This is a great Idea. I'll bet McCain will also volunteer to have all the high level toxic waste stored in Arizona too. Perhaps somewhere around Tuscon.

All those in favor of nuke reactors should also be willing to take in their fair share of the waste, Instead of shipping it to and thru my state, where it was forced down our throats with backroom dealing by that traitor Senator Pete Dominici.

If we simply turn President Cater's Ex order around and start reprocessing our fuel, like France does. The amount of of waste would be reduced to about a 10th of what we have now and would be less radioactive.

Heath Physicist by trade.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptesonly one core containment foundry in the world (Japan) who just happens to be backordered for several years.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by pityocamptes]

True, but a lot of the backorders are for US companies. They put thier names on the list already to be sure they could get thiers in time. 2030 might be pushing it, but somthing has to be done. Everybody keeps on saying it can't be done in time or that the suggested ideals won't help in the short run. Well that type of thinking got us into this mess in the frist place. As an old Nuke freind of mine use to say, If they don't want reactors, let the bastards freeze in the dark.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
McCain will talk about it for 4 years and then it will take another 15 years for all the environmental impact studies to be done. Add another 10 years for engineering studies and bids. In 25 years, we're ready to break ground. This is how stuff really does work on these scales.

This is a dead issue from the start and nothing more than politics.

The environmental studies have been done or are being done as we speak. All of the US companies are getting it done and applying for permits in advance. They are doing this even if they decide not to build a new reactor. The Nuclear Reg. Com.(NRC) will issue permits that will be good for up to 20 years.
By the way you can thank the environmentalist for the problems we are having now. eg. if they hadn't took the Corps of Engeniers to court , the corps would had built the flood gates that would had kept New Orleans from flooding.
You can save the environment without endagering the Human species.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by lost in the midwest]

[edit on 19-6-2008 by lost in the midwest]

top topics

join