It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix's Robotic Arm digs up 'White Stuff'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Scientists mull mysterious white stuff on Mars

Source

This image shows one trench informally called "Dodo-Goldilocks" after two digs on June 12, by Phoenix's Robotic Arm. Shallow trenches excavated by the lander's backhoe-like robotic arm have turned up specks and at times even stripes of mysterious white material mixed in with the clumpy, reddish dirt.

In my opinion it looks like the paint rubbed of the shovel.

What it will turn out to really be we may never know.

Having to "wait and see if it melts" approach seems to me that a lot of money was spent to just wait and see.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hilarious!

Mystery solved, thanks schrodingers dog.

Next....

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

NASA specifically landed where they did because it is believed that water ice exists just below the surface. Peter Smith, the lead investigator for Phoenix and many other think that white stuff IS the water ice that they were looking for. Some others think that it COULD be salt. Peter Smith has said that either way, the Phoenix probe has exactly the correct instruments to identify that white subtstance.

I'm siding with most of the NASA scientists who think it is water ice. They predicted it would be there, and they seem to have found what they were looking for -- water.

[edit on 6/18/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Yeah! This lander is a complete joke. Half a billion dollars later and we see pictures of sand and dirt. Are you kidding me? and to add the countless glitches and failures which I think are bogus claims to cover up more of their true intentions. NASA are the biggest deceivers on Earth. Their whole entire operation should be shutdown and buried beneath the sand. Quit wasting our time with this boring quest to indentify soil samples. I thought these spectrum or whatever they are satellites did all that anyway. If there is water or any other substance its already been identified from high above. What is the point of wasting all this money and time? What is the point of even sending people to a barren wasteland millions of miles away? You see? You understand? This operation is a fraud as well as this organization.

That money could of helped avoid our energy situation as of today. Where is the electric car? Where is the clean water? Where is the plentiful crops to harvest?

Maybe if we can colonize Mars we can make twice the mess. Hell we can even bring nukes there.

There's only one answer to solve all of these problems.

CLONES

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Hi there Rhain! I know Internos had a thread on this one here is the link:Phoenix diggs on Mars.. there is some pretty cool stuff.

Have a good one!

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Thank you for your reply. I truly hope they find what they seek. I just didn't like how he stated they were going to just wait till it melts to see if it was ice.

With all the functions that the lander must have wouldn't you think a more appropriate test would be done?

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I reckon it's the roof of a battered old Chevy.

new topics

top topics

join