It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you go back in time and kill Jesus before he was born?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Think how better off the world would be if Christianity had never existed. Jesus probably never existed anyway as there is no evidence that he did outside of religious writings. But think if there was a way to stop Christianity from forming, maybe by assasinating Constantine before the council of Nicea in 325. We would probably never have had the Dark Ages. Millions of intelligent and free thinking people would have survived the inquisition and science would likely be 1000 years more advanced.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I guess I could agree with your point relating to some of the actions taken by the cathoic church hundreds of years ago, but I think the prescence of Christianity nowadays is a great thing. Churches do wonderful things for their communities. Personally I'm not religious, but I have no delusion about how messed up most communities in my area would be without the church's influence.

My answer for your question would be outside the box for sure. Your question would indicate that time travel was a possibility. I would use this to travel back in time and witness the life of Jesus. I'm curious as to how accurate I would find it compared to the scriptures. My impression is that it wouldn't even be remotely close to reality...but I'd love to see it for myself.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think the vehicle for destruction would have changed. The problems in the world aren't religion, but the fact that man will take advantage of each other no matter the situation. Regardless of the religions we have, we still have corrupt men. So, I don't think much would change. All that would be taken away is the hope that some of the true believers in the teachings of religion grasp onto. While religion is not for all, it does serve as hope for some. All that would happen is we'd take away the hope from the few who follow the peaceful teachings of religion, as the jerks would justify their greed and condescencion by another means. The use of religion to justify destruction is a symptom of a human condition, it's not inherent in the religoin.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 420prajna

I believe your logic is lost in ignorance..

Christianity did not impede on scientist, and it did not lead to the Dark Ages..

People using Christianity did that.. if Christianity did not exist, other religions would have taken it's place and THEY would have been used as weapons against the people.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Well i think the best example of Christianity impeding science is how Galleleo (sp?) was imprisoned for voicing discoveries contrary to the teachings of the church. Also, since Christianity teaches that this world is evil, and that this life is pretty much meaningless and that only the afterlife matters...people stopped trying to improve their lives here. It is nocoincedence that the great enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries coincidided with a marked trend towards secularism.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
If you go back in time to kill somebody (before they were born) in the past and then come back, you will find out that the person was still live. All you did was just create a parallel universe where that person was never born.

That's my opinion on the subject.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
And if you where a learned man you would know the position of the Earth is not in Christian Dogma, but rather was the SOCIAL norm of the time.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

That's interesting, they say in quantum physics that infinite possibilities spawn infinite universes at each moment. I think if you actually changed history at all, even by going back and kicking a pebble, you and the universe you cam from would seek to exist because of cause and effect.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
sorry i meant to say cease to exist, i get excited sometimes.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Well I think that social constructs at the time were shaped by the teachings of the church since that was the only education availible.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
People always have killed each other.
And people will never stop killing each other.
Its just the way humans are.

So I doubt that destroying christianity would actually do anything.

People always find different reasons why to kill each other.
Christiantity was just the scapegoat for a much bigger human proplem.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Btw... Seeing that this is the PPM forum I will put my real thoughts on the matter. You will never accomplish anything by using action which is really a form of reaction to certain circumstances.

You want to kill someone in history before they were born (which I definitely don't support by the way) because of some circumstances that you are experiencing now. What you are actually doing is making those circumstances worse because you are trying to prevent them. Which means you have your attention straight on them. Whatever you have your attention on always grows.

If you see or experience circumstances you don't like, identify what you really would like to happen and then (in your mind) be in that situation first, until it not only seems possible, but it actually seems logical and easy to accomplish. Then you can take action towards that goal, which will be easy and effortless.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If you went back and killed jesus. NONE of us would be here. IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

I'll help you. The whole world history would of changed
Christian crusades wouldn't of happened
The Spanish Armada wouldnt of happened
The Northern Ireland conflict wouldn't of happened
Israel would be different
None of use would be alive, different mothers and fathers, different children.
Christianity wouldn't be in South America

I could go on forever.
Every second changes the world, every death and life changes the world every action I take, ultimately changes the world.

THINK ABOUT the result of one action changes another.

None of us would be here typing this now even. Life would of went on a different path, our ancestors would of went off with different people. WE would not be born only for the way events played out for us to be born.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 420prajna

Well i think the best example of Christianity impeding science is how Galleleo (sp?) was imprisoned for voicing discoveries contrary to the teachings of the church. ...

The Roman Catholic church persecuted Galileo BECAUSE OF PRESSURE FROM THE LEADING SCIENTISTS OF THE DAY.

Deny ignorance, and learn your history.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mind is the universe

Yes, what you say is true, but I wonder if the world would be better off now. I suppose it is pointless conjecture and I was trying to comment on how detrimental I think Christianity has been to the human race.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Well leading scientists of the day were all employees of the church, weren't they, if not I would be happy to 'learn my history' as you put it.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This thread is funny in many ways, but I'll play along.

I wouldn't kill him, I'd out do him. I'd bring supplies through time, I'd do card tricks and wow the ppl, I'd body surf a wave and prove I can cruise through water...and most importantly I wouldn't eat the mushrooms he'd eat, because that burning bush, really is a burning bush, and once again I'd wow the crowd with a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

Edit,

Twas a simpler time.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Thats not a very objective view.

I am not even Christian and I can't see how the world would be better or worse without Christianity.

Constantine and Christianity did not bring about the Dark Ages.

Barbarians brought about the Dark Ages.

Really if you want to blame any single person or family for holding the human race back I can name one line of butchers who changed the course of history.

The Khans.

During the Middle Ages the Islamic Empire of the Abbasid Dynasty, whose capitol was Baghdad, and the Jin Dynasty of China were by far the most advanced civilizations on earth.

That was until the Khans. Many advances that were made would not be rediscovered until the 1800s.

The Mongol Empire was the largest empire in the history of humankind. For hundreds of years they would spread terror across Asia. They razed Kiev and Baghdad, occupied Russia for hundreds of years, and the atrocities it committed would not be surpassed until the 20th Century with the advent of the Hitler, Stalin, and Mao.

So the real question should be should someone go back and assassinate Genghis Khan?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Absolutely.

I'd whack Jesus without a 2nd thought.

Would have solved many of the problems of the past, present, and future.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 420prajna

the inquisition was not perpetrated by the church/assembly Messiah said He would build (matthew 16:18)

the assembly He built also suffered as victims thru some of the inquistions (revelation 2) ephesus also saw all the Messiah's apostles, except john murdered.

and another inquisition is also prophecied for the last of Messiah's assemblies in our time (revelation 12:17) from the same source as the others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join