It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large 'Planet X' May Lurk Beyond Pluto - www.space.com - 18th June edition

page: 1

join
share:
sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Large 'Planet X' May Lurk Beyond Pluto - www.space.com - 18th June edition

www.space.com

An icy, unknown world might lurk in the distant reaches of our solar system beyond the orbit of Pluto, according to a new computer model.

The hidden world -- thought to be much bigger than Pluto based on the model -- could explain unusual features of the Kuiper Belt, a region of space beyond Neptune littered with icy and rocky bodies. Its existence would satisfy the long-held hopes and hypotheses for a "Planet X" envisioned by scientists and sci-fi buffs alike.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-6-2008 by sty]

sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
18/06/08 news on www.space.com . Interesting, it looks like at least the existence of an extra-solar body is now accepted by the astronomical community . Luckily it is assumed to have a maximum of 70% of the Earth`s mass . However , I am not sure what to say - is this just a step forwards for Planet X disclosure ?

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Could this be the "Nibiru" that many have expected finally entering within our detection?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty

18/06/08 news on www.space.com . Interesting, it looks like at least the existence of an extra-solar body is now accepted by the astronomical community . Luckily it is assumed to have a maximum of 70% of the Earth`s mass . However , I am not sure what to say - is this just a step forwards for Planet X disclosure ?

Uh...no.

A planet or planets lying beyond the orbit of Neptune have been theorized for longer than any of the Nibiru nonsense has been around, since at least the early 20th century, starting in 1905 with Percival Lowell.

sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

well, at least this time it was the result of a computer modeling. I do not have to make one anymore haha

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

A planet or planets lying beyond the orbit of Neptune have been theorized for longer than any of the Nibiru nonsense has been around, since at least the early 20th century, starting in 1905 with Percival Lowell.

Yes, but none have been detected. Theories don't really mean much to me. NASA debunked their original reports that detected a Planet X as a mistake. Many people have claimed that it was disinfo when they pulled the plug on it.

What would be valuable information to know is what type of orbit it has...

sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Azurus

Plutoid of 70% Earth`s mass? this is quite big! Could be almost as large as Venus .However, it will be interesting to find more details on the proposed orbit as you say in deed..
1)step one - ridicule it
2)step two - oppose it
3) accept it

i guess we are heading towards number 3) now . Corrections will follow up .

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azurus
Yes, but none have been detected. Theories don't really mean much to me. NASA debunked their original reports that detected a Planet X as a mistake. Many people have claimed that it was disinfo when they pulled the plug on it.

Are you talking about the theory that a planet was causing discrepancies in the orbits of Uranus and Neptune? Those reports weren't originally from NASA; those theories have existed since the discovery if Uranus in 1781, because of discrepansies in it's orbit. Neptune was believed to have discrepancies in it's orbit too, however, it's mass was miscalculated. It was revised in 1989, and allowed astronomers to recalculate the gravitational effects of Uranus and Neptune on each other. The revision showed there is no descrepancy.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
Plutoid of 70% Earth`s mass? this is quite big! Could be almost as large as Venus...

Yes, but under the ridiculous criteria set forth by the IAU, if it exists, it won't technically be a planet.

sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

To be onest I am not sure what to make out of this NIBIRU theory . The ancients could see a comet that happened to pass during a war/famine and they would immediately associate the event to the object. But at the same time, they could tell us a real story with no metaphysical implications - just facts . As 90% of the stars are at least binary, there would not be a great surprise to find we also have one. However, there is not enough evidence that something ever passed the orbits of the planets (Neptune for example ).
Regarding the 1989 explanation - well, i do not have enough data on this issue but as far as I know there are still debates. It could be that there are actually hundreds of little planets out there . Also , we should not forget the very recent Voyager experience .
So for now - just watching out to see what is next..

[edit on 18-6-2008 by sty]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
It could be that there are actually hundreds of little planets out there

You're right, though under the IAU classifications, they aren't technically planets. But there have been over 1000 Trans-Neptunian objects discovered in the past two decades.

Originally posted by sty
Also , we should not forget the very recent Voyager experience.

Please explain further.

sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I was thinning about large objects, let say at least as large as Mercury or our moon .
About Voyager - i mean the trouble in finding the correct location of the probe . This can be the result of some gravitational pull from beyond the belt. Also this one:

news.bbc.co.uk...

this can be the result of 2 "winds" reacting in a form of a membrane or a shock-wave . I do not think that the inter-stellar wind would be strong enough to result into a shock wave

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If there is a planet out there meant to be 70% of the mass of earth.

Why can't NASA just spit it out. NASA would hold their piss if people thought it would kill flowers.

NASA = I know BUT I aint telling you.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sty
this can be the result of 2 "winds" reacting in a form of a membrane or a shock-wave . I do not think that the inter-stellar wind would be strong enough to result into a shock wave

Really? The explanation is in the article you cited...

At the termination shock, the solar wind slows abruptly from a speed that ranges from 1.1-2.4 million km/h (700,000 to 1.5 million mph) and becomes denser and hotter.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mind is the universe
If there is a planet out there meant to be 70% of the mass of earth.

Why can't NASA just spit it out. NASA would hold their piss if people thought it would kill flowers.

Because they haven't found it yet. It's just theorized. This is a tiny object we are talking about. From Pluto, our Sun looks like just an ordinary, albeit very bright, star. This theorized planet is further out than Pluto, and smaller than the Earth. Plus, we don't know which region of the sky it's currently in; for all we know, it could be on the opposite side of the sun right now.

sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

well, it is only an explanation and so it is mine - the shock-wave is created at the interference between the twin-Sun and our Sun. As you see the picture published by BBC also looks like the external source of "solar wind" seem to come from one point. Anyway , at this point it is bit too much mystery over this as 90% of the mass of our Galaxy is still missing. It could be full of black dwarfs out there !

sty

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
some interesting links I found so far:

join