It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA hacker appeals to House of Lords to overturn extradition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

NASA hacker appeals to House of Lords to overturn extradition

www.scmagazineuk.com

McKinnon, a former sys admin, says he spent two years hacking into a number of US government systems looking for evidence of extra-terrestrial life. He is accused of illegally accessing computers belonging to the US army, navy, air force, NASA and the Department of Defense.

McKinnon is asking the Lords to overturn the proposed extradition on the grounds of an abuse of legal processes by US officials engaging in plea bargaining.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Just wanted to give ATS the recent news on the this brave man.

I really hope the lords hear his plea with open minds!

This man deserves to be free!

He only wants the truth!

Just like all of us!

FREE GARY!
freegary.org.uk...

www.scmagazineuk.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hack the Planet!!

I can't fault the guy. If it wasn't so glaringly obvious they are hiding something, he wouldn't have been snooping.

On a side note....he was NEVER going to find anything in files accessible by internet though.

The part that scares me is not that some nerd is smarter than some other nerd at NASA, it's this:

McKinnon faces a sentence of up to 60 years under terrorism charges.

This guy might end up in Gitmo for this.....The Shrub admin will treat this guy like Osama Bin Hackin.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Regardless of subject matter, did he or did he not break the law?

Seems like a simple question to me and I would guess that's what the jury will be deciding on....

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

WOW man!

I cannot believe you even asked that question!

The subject matter has EVERYTHING to do with his innocence!

Proof of UFOs/Aliens would change the world!

Proof that US governments are hiding this fact from world is punishable by death in my book!

Are you listening to yourself?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

As I do not support hacking in any way....This man did what was necessary to find personal truth..

If governments of the world were honest with their citizens then he would have no reason to hack!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I am having a very hard time trying to find a reason to feel sorry for this 'computer invader'. If his motives where so altruistic, why didn't he download the information then immediatly upload to many of the boards and access points on the web to "enlighten us" No, he might have downloaded this so called sensitive material proof and kept it " for a better opportunity at a later date." And when would that later date be? Probably to agrandise himself in the coverup community. To cash in on his prowess as a "computer invader"? Do you tink the Lords would pardon him if he did this in Britain?? I think not!
Notice I did not use the term "HACKER". Hackers are a whole differant breed. Most are just curious and don't damage or steal from the host computer they hit on. I dispise computer invaders. I have been vicimised by some in the past. Malicious jackbutts who just do it because its fun for them to demolish anothers property for a laugh or brag to they're intimates about the destruction they caused. Invading another computer for any reason is illegal. This kid deserves what he gets, and begging for us to help him just shows that his motives where NOT what he claims. He gets absolutly NO sympathy from me. His story just does not ring true to me. He's looking for an easy way out of his stupidity. Just my 2 cents worth of rant!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
And what a rant that was...

You make very valid points.

Let me ask you this....

Do you feel this man should be treated like a "terrorist"?

Do you feel this man deserves a 60 year (basically life) sentence?

You paint a evil picture of Mr. Mckinnon, do you feel that is justified by his deeds?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
When anyone choses to ignore the law, they can't expect much sympathy for being victimized by it.

His transgression is a separate issue from his motivations. Those motivations are supposed to be taken under consideration by the courts. If they choose to make 'an example' of him, he has a case to appeal the verdict as cruel and unusual.

Whatever terroristic bent the prosecution wants to apply to their case is up to them. It seems unwise since he is likely NOT a terrorist. So to try him as one is outside the spirit and intent of the law. This would really be a 'bad thing' for the prosecution, showing their motivations to be less than honorable. They should charge him with the extent of his criminal activities and not attempt to play legal games for entertainment purposes. This is a slam dunk case, he did it. He admits it, charge him with that and be done with it.

The rest is all a show for the media, and of course, to set precedents for future cases.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Gary's motives were pure when he decided to hack into those government computers at Nasa, DoD, Pentagon, etc., He had finished watching Steven Greer's "Disclosure Project" witnesses on the National Press Club in 2001 and mainly wanted to find evidence of free energy systems that the government was withholding from the public. He, like most of us here at ATS, think that zero point energy generators belong to all of us, not just a few elite.

He also came across evidence confirming Disclosure witness and NASA employee Donna Hare's testimony about NASA airbrushing UFO's out of satellite photos before sale to the public.

I think Gary deserves a medal for what he has done and gone through to expose the truth of what our government is hiding from us. He deserves and should receive the full backing and support of all of us here at ATS.

His website can be found here:

www.freegary.org.uk...

His interview with Bill Ryan & Kerry Cassidy can be found here:

youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Do I feel he is a terrorist? He hacked US Federal Computers. He says his motives are one thing, it very well could have been another. Once you have the information what happens to it is the problem, not his stated motives. Do I feel I'm justified? In my opinion, Yes. Like I said, if he had hacked British government computers you wouldn't even know what happened to him. He'd be in jail now and would also be considered a terrorist by that government. The fact is, your national secrets act is much tougher than ours. This man is a criminal. The sentence is a deterant to others, good or bad. We here feel we have a 'right' to know. We don't have a 'right' to commit crime to prove our motives!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

He broke the law, and said he was doing it to look for proof of aliens. Does his explanation somehow make breaking the law better? Why believe his explanation?

He broke into government computers, looking around. Military computers... I say he did the crime, he does the time. Set the example for others. A person cannot break a law and claim they did it because they were curious about something.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

The American government HACK into people's computer's all the time. They famously hacked into European banks and the likes a few years ago.

Again it comes back to the same crap. Whos the actual bad guy, why is the hacker a terrorist, and the american government are deemed not when they do the SAME thing. Now don't confuse the point I'm saying they are either wrong or right.

I'm saying If he can't do it, why can the people who make these privacy laws break them ?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
How dare a person from another country hack into anything not in his country. however, I suppose he is justified simply by exposing a lie.
I would base it on what he found out. which was zippo...
I think he said in an interview he saw a UFO photo for a second or two.
he got caught doing a crime - he admits it - case closed - he does the time.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Tell me, My Irish Brother (or sister), Do you know why Our justice department 'hacked' into those banks? I do, and it wasn't for criminal purposes. Most European banks want full cooperation when they conduct investigations but refuse to reciprocate. I know, your going to say that that was a criminal act. It very well might have been. Those banks should then take the legal venues they have to remedy the situation. I'm saying, theres no justification for it, regardless of who or why. If I did it or you did it, it makes no differance. We would be considered criminals. The old TV addage: "Do the crime, Do the time" applies in any case!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The bigger crime is our government hiding proof of UFO's/ET's and free energy from us.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm a little confused. The hacker you are talking about in this thread, is it this guy??

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm not so sure that he did any worse than our government with their " warrant less" wire tapping. He just happens to be an individual and not some secret government agency....

If he is prosecuted, and he will be...we should try Bush under the same precedent, for "hacking" our phone records.

Think he used those Chinese Cisco routers?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Yeah that got me also thinking.

If this guy get's time, for hacking. I mean all he wanted was to find out truths on UFOs
How come Bush responsible for genocide not get time either, 700,000 people dead I would say and counting. need I say anymore?

I'm just saying like.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by mind is the universe]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Granted, I believe the NSA warrantless tapping is wrong. However, the government acting to protect itself from possible terrorism is different than a person hacking into military computers to look around.

In addition, the NSA warrantless tappings (regardless how twisted it is) is not illegal. You cannot prosecute and president for something that is put into law by congress.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join