It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morman Magical Underwear???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Is this true and why? Why would they want to wear sacred undergarments? Do women have to wear underwear too? There is defiantly some weird conspiracy to this whole underwear practice?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
They wear something called 'habits' which stem more from puritanical beliefs than magical powers. Mormonism was spawned in the fundamentalist revival movement of the early 1800s in New York state. Their habits have to do with some weird covenant with God, and I'm sure, to cover their shameful parts. Supposedly, they're never allowed to take them off.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 420prajna

This really scares me about their religion. They have to take it off to have intercourse. I hope so anyways. Are you sure they are just supposed to wear it to church services?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

It's true. They call it the garment. There's a whole apocryphal tale-stream in the subculture of how so-and-so was saved by the garment from being burned, bullets deflected, snakebite went awry...
Supposedly it comes with three slits over the heart to symbolize the fate of the traitor i.e. And if I ever go astray I deserve to be stabbed in the heart! And again! And again!
There's a book, Deborah Laake, Secret Ceremonies, it's a good start, fun read.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Otherwise known as 'Temple Garments'.

I hope the WIKI LINK helps a little, it mentions the magical underwear briefly.

Regards S_G

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
haha your talking about a religion that believes some guy was given some gold plates that only he could read when looking at them in a hat, and then when he lost the translations and did it over again it was completely different and he said god could not tell him the same way as before. with that sort of foundation for beliefs of course they are going to have some ridiculous beliefs such as sacred underwear.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It is only the truly devout Mormons who wear The Garment. They are supposed to wear it all the time and never take it off. I got this from my best friend, who is an ex-Mormon from Salt Lake City and knows his former religion thoroughly.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have heard about the special underwear from friends who are mormons, it's really exists.. The regular mormon visitors to my house always have a problem explaining to me how these gold tablets got to New York and why they no longer exist.. They also have told me that Jesus visited the new world and that's why native americans have religions like christianity. I tell them that's interesting, my wife is half Apache and her grandmother used to worship the sun, the moon and mother nature and how is that even close to Christianity. Again they have no answers....

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GrndLkNatv

Some say that Christianity is nothing but Sun Worship. Have you ever seen that movie ZeitGeist? If not you should really find time to watch it. Just Google it and you can watch the full movie online. It is really pretty interesting.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Wow, the level of ignorance on this post is amazing.
I'm LDS, so I'll answer.
Yes, we wear clothing we call "garments" under our clothing. They are not magic (although there is a large body of folklore that has grown up around the garment, I have never seen one stop a bullet or fire!--of course, every religion has its apocrypha and its folklore), and no LDS that I have ever met has EVER referred to them as "magic." It is simply symbolic of the covenants we make with God in the temple (most of the stories you hear about these covenants are wrong, as well, and devout LDSs don't talk about them, we hold them sacred; don't take too seriously everything you hear "ex"-mormons say; would you want everyone to take at face value everything your "ex" says about you?).
We believe God will protect us if we keep our covenants, including the Temple covenants (like He promised he would protect Adam and Eve when He clothed them and sent them from the garden, like he promised he would protect the Patriarchs if they obeyed him); that's NOT "magic;" its ritual; its religion.
And its not secret, its sacred. I know that distinction is hard for most people to understand nowadays, since we hold so little sacred anymore. . .
The garment ritual is related to the garment ritual of Aaron and the priests found in Exodus.
I'd love to comment on the Joseph Smith-looking-into-a-hat-thing, but that's another post for another time. Suffice it to say we believe Joseph was a prophet, like old testament prophets. I know most people will think that's ridiculous, but remember that most people in most times, even Biblical times, thought such things were ridiculous; that's why so many prophets were killed. The majority never believes that a prophet is what he says he is (in fact, according to legend, Jeremiah wasn't accepted as a prophet until AFTER the Babylonian captivity, when people thought "Hey; he was right!" Jesus wasn't accepted as the Messiah except by a very few, and even today mainstream Judaism refuses to accept him as their Messiah--I don't say this to be anti-semitic, only to give some perspective.)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Wow, the level of ignorance on this post is amazing.

Something can be sacred and secret at the same time, you know.

Why does it amaze you that we are ignorant of Mormon ways when they are, in fact, treated with a high level of secrecy from outsiders by most Mormons?

I know that most other cults and sects that claim to be Christian are typically relatively transparent. Why the secrecy from the Mormons?

And why, if you are such a faithful Mormon who feels the need to defend your faith, do you post anonymously?

Really, are you ashamed of your faith? Are you embarrassed of your God?

Do you think the Lord is proud of your anonymous posting?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have lived in salt lake city, utah for my whole life. I myself am not mormon and I plan on keeping it that way, but I have close family who is extremely. I can confirm positively 100% that the women wear them too.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
God I'm glad I'm not a Mormon. I can hear the old lady yelling now,

"YOU GOT SKID MARKS IN YOUR SACRED UNDERWEAR AGAIN!!!"

Or she would have been yelling it, if it wasn't for the divorce. Anyway,

The Creator of all things does not need you to buy and wear sacred underwear, to be baptized, to give 10% of your paycheck to the liars who claim to speak for him.

Lose religion and you will find God. Free the chains on your mind and the chains on your soul will be broken. Learn to think outside the book.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I just realized...
What I really want, what I really would like to buy, is some of that
Mothman Magical Underwear
that would give me the power to fly
and to have glowing red eyes
and to cause onlookers to fall stricken with a mysterious overpowering feeling of dread

That would be a product that truly would sell itself
Just waiting for the technology to catch up to the market

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I would like marmalade magical underwear. I would walk through English muffin forest and have a picnic at earl grey tea falls.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but this is just too damn funny...

"YOU GOT SKID MARKS IN YOUR SACRED UNDERWEAR AGAIN!!!"

I would think that to be highly unsanitary....

Thanks for the insights Anonymous...

I actually did some research on LDS when I learned one of my upcoming professors was one. (I always research my professors, so I know how to tailor my papers to their interests, etc.)

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I don't know anything specific about the "garment", however I will share this. I dated someone who was Mormon briefly and he absolutely NEVER got naked. Not during those intiimate moments. And he even wore swimtrunks in the shower. I'm not kidding. But the weirdest part was he absolutely refused to explain why to me. He only said he thought it was wrong to be naked...

So thanks for this bit of insight on this thread, haha however silly it might seem.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

If he never got naked, how did he transition to the swim trunks?

new topics

top topics

join