It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speeders to pay extra for police fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Speeders to pay extra for police fuel

www.usatoday.com

HOLLY SPRINGS, Ga. — The surging price of gasoline has come to this: a "fuel surcharge" on your next speeding ticket.
Drivers caught speeding in this north Atlanta suburb soon will have to pay an extra $12 — to cover $4-a-gallon gas costs for the police officers who stop them.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
OK, this is messed up. I am not in any way against penalizing people who break the law by speeding. It's dangerous and, from the viewpoint of someone who designs highways for a living, the posted speed limits are generally just 5-10 MPH below the design safety speed of any given roadway. But everytime the topic of ticket quotas used to pad police budgets comes up the police department breaks out the old "Fines are a punishment only for breaking the law, we don't depend on the money from them or budget around 'goals', etc, etc."

$12 per ticket is not defensible under the idea of $4 a gallon gas. In most cases you're busted by a cop that is parked in the median or on the shoulder. He follows you for no more than a mile, turns on the bubblegum machine, and you pull over. Unless those Crown Vics only get a couple miles to the gallon, there's no way in hell it's costing the cops $12 in gas to pull over one speeder. Those speeders are paying for gas to cruise around on patrol, which should be covered under the force's budget, not by money brought in from fines. Next thing we'll read about is a gas surcharge being added to all tickets, speeding, simple traffic violations, commission of a crime, etc. Fines should never be considered part of "making ends meet" by our law enforcement because all it does is open the door for quotas the first month the department is way over budget and needs more gas money.

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This is like California begging everyone to drive fuel efficient autos and then because they are loosing revenue from less gas being sold they want to 'tax' the milage instead. Shakepear was wrong. Don't just shoot the lawyers..shoot the damn politicians right along with them!!

Zindo

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I seems like over that last six months every business has used increases in fuel cost to raise prices way beyond cost increases. Most people will blindly believe that what is being done is just correcting for the fuel cost.

At least with the local government there is a chance that people will elect other leaders who will see things differently. Government was not meant to be a money making business.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If it stops idiots from speeding. Go for it. Call it whatever you want. Increase the penalty to a thousand dollars if necessary. Make twenty mph over the limit a felony crime.

[edit on 6-18-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
groingrinder:

so you're saying speeding deserves a felony charge? thousand dollars? seriously?

you avatar indicates that you might be an alien. here on earth we have punishments that at least in some way fit the crimes.

you WILL get a ticket yourself eventually. when you do, just let the officer know that you feel you should be fined $1000 and charged with a felony. hell, he might even let you off with a warning for making him laugh. but then you'd have to assault him or something so you didn't get off scott free. that might get you your felony charge. not sure what the fines on something like that would be though...

personally i think the threat of losing your license at > 15mph excess is sufficient and is actually a law here in NC.

anyway, back to the topic at hand - i agree that the "fuel surcharge" is just going to encourage "quotas".

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I seems like over that last six months every business has used increases in fuel cost to raise prices way beyond cost increases.

My company just announced an increase in our prices, it wasn't just 2-3% either.

I don't mind the police addin a couple of bucks to the tickets, I'm not really upset over the $12, but 5 would have been plenty, maybe?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I am surprised that a point has been made about releasing this information, it is going to wind a few people up, I would expect the details to be shrouded in a simple deterent increase like usual.

Wont be long before this happens in the UK, actualy I expect they have already done it seeing as we are paying over $10 a gallon.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
If it stops idiots from speeding. Go for it. Call it whatever you want. Increase the penalty to a thousand dollars if necessary. Make twenty mph over the limit a felony crime.

[edit on 6-18-2008 by groingrinder]

What is wrong with you?

Felony for speeding? What are you a communist?

I can't stand people like you, and I hope you get a ticket.

You remind me of the teacher's pet brown nose we've all grown up to hate.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
What are you a communist?
^^^^that is some funny stuff right there I don't who you are!^^^^

I do not feel that we should pay for their fuel, as we are ALREADY paying for it in taxes.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Do we have to pay for their donuts and coffee too?

Or the electricity to charge their tasers?

This is supposed to be law enforcement, not make-a-buck. The line between banks and the police grows ever hazier.

top topics

join