It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creators of Obama monkey shift gears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Creators of Obama monkey shift gears

deseretnews.com

But Monday afternoon, the creators, David and Elizabeth Lawson, told the Deseret News that "a few new opportunities have been presented" for the production of the monkey. They also issued a long news release that defended the monkey as a victim of double standards and unfair censorship.
Last week, TheSockObama LLC Web site led to a barrage of bloggers' criticism of the racial undertones of depicting Obama as a monkey. The undertones date to Jim Crow, when blacks were compared to monkeys in efforts to frame them as a lesser race.
"It's OK for there to be hundreds of thousands of Google sites containing references to our current president's resemblance to a chimpanzee," the Lawsons' statement said. "However, it's not OK to make that same association regarding our possible next president."
The Lawsons said in the statement they were forced to shut down after only seven days, and are issuing refunds to those who have ordered the sock monkeys after "blogging dens of resistance quickly began their fury of e-mails," many of which were threatening
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.worldnetdaily.com
social.moldova.org

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
i can see the racist implications in this sock monkey, but the part of me that loves all manner of sock monkeys thinks political sock monkeys is a fun idea. but still with all the race problems all ready being presented with his campaign i personaly dont think a obama monkey is a good idea .

deseretnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
And in other Obama monkey news:

Apparently a monkey is E Mobiles's company mascot. They, it's japanese managers say they didn't think of possible racist overtones. Personally, I believe them. In any case the ad has been pulled.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by krill

This is amusing because of the ironic bind the entire topic puts liberals into.

Liberals are associated with being pro-evolution, anti-creation. So it would stand to reason from an evolutionary and scientific standpoint that moneys in Africa and humans in Africa came from a common biological ancestor.

Even more ironic is that evolutionary theory would suggest that certain races of humans would have characteristics that helped them survive in their environment. For example, humans in Africa that needed to compete with primates and survive predators would have needed physical characteristics to help them survive.

And yet to talk about any of this is SOOOOO politically incorrect it would make any liberal spit his triple skim latte across the table if he even just HEARD anybody mention this subject.

Liberals demand that it be taught in school that humans and chimps evolved from a common ancestor, but are appalled when similarities of that common ancestry are pointed out. Why?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

this isent innapropriate because of the fact humans supposedly share a common ancestor to monkeys, it has nothing to do with the science .

this is considered racist because for many many years hear in the usa african americans were called monkeys or some times porch monkey as a racial slur. so making a stuffed monkey representation of a political figure who is black is insensative, it ranks up there with making a doll of obama dressed as a tribes man carrying a spear. because another derogatory term for african americans that was very common was "spear chucker" not because humanitys ancestors used spears to hunt.

now as for my personal opinion i frankly dont care i love sockmonkeys there awsueme if i could find one with a lil black trench coat id buy it in a heart beat. but as a buisness idea it probly wasent a smart move to make a obama monkey. unless of course their target market is racists in which case its a brilliant idea but still wont make them rich.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

I saw that a few times..

It's funny - living here, I had absolutely NO idea that it might be seen as an Obama reference (which is what a number of people tried to make it out as, in the beginning).

I figured it was a riff on the much-hyped Japanese TV show called "Change" - which is about a guy who goes from Elementary School teacher to Prime Minster of Japan. The colours in the commercial even match...

www.fujitv.co.jp...

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by krill
this is considered racist because for many many years hear in the usa african americans were called monkeys or some times porch monkey as a racial slur. so making a stuffed monkey representation of a political figure who is black is insensative, it ranks up there with making a doll of obama dressed as a tribes man carrying a spear. because another derogatory term for african americans that was very common was "spear chucker" not because humanitys ancestors used spears to hunt.

I guess the Indians are racist too:
India monkey god idol for Obama.

Again, this is all about the perception of "racism" - maybe there were racist motives behind it, maybe not:
But have racial relations in the United States sunk so low that a black politician can't be compared to a monkey? I didn't see scores of white Americans up in arms over the numerous emails depicting Dubya as a monkey.

I understand that there has been a history of equating black Africans to "monkeys", but this is just another part of the metastising cancer of hypersensitivity in the world:
Aide resigns after using "niggardly", and subsequent litigation.
Student charged for "racial harrassment" for reading anti-Klan book.

Those racist Indians!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by krill

this isent innapropriate because of the fact humans supposedly share a common ancestor to monkeys, it has nothing to do with the science .

this is considered racist because for many many years hear in the usa african americans were called monkeys or some times porch monkey as a racial slur. so making a stuffed monkey representation of a political figure who is black is insensative,

Well yeah it's insensitive, but that's not my point. My point is that linking any human from Africa with monkeys from Africa is totally congruent with the liberal evolutionary dogma, but 100% politically incorrect. In other words, like just about every other issue, liberals want to have it both ways. They want to teach in schools that humans and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor, but label a person as a racist if they point out evidence of the same thing.

Isn't evolutionary theory, by definition, the foundation of racism?

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
look im not defending the supposed racisim, i frankly dont care i think people are to sensative and that our culture has become dumbed down by all the political correctness. plus i love sock monkeys so i see the idea of a political set of sock monkeys as a cute idea. but then again iv said all this in my other posts. as far as the idol of hannuman thats not realy relavent as its not a depiction of obama its a depiction of a god, a god i like acthualy espicialy sience my birth falls in the year of the monkey.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

i understand your point your taking a racial slur and using it as a attack on evolutonary theory. thats cool whatever floats your boat. personaly i belive in eveolution but at the same time i belive it was put in place and action by the gods.

top topics

join