It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

401K for Chimps? Like Humans, Other Apes Plan Ahead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

401K for Chimps? Like Humans, Other Apes Plan Ahead

news.yahoo.com

Chimps and orangutans plan for the future just like us.

They are capable of exercising self-control to postpone gratification and to imagine future events via "mental time travel," according to new research from Lunds University Cognitive Science in Sweden.

The skill of future planning was commonly thought to be exclusive to humans, although some studies of apes and crows have challenged this idea, say researchers Mathias and Helena Osvath.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
This is an interesting find comming on the heels of recent reports of Chimps fishing etc. Is it possible that we are seeing an evolutionary process in progress? Or is this just something we have noticed?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
thats amazing... you would of thought we would of seen that thoe by now with all the activists and animal raisers... why are we seeing this now?

Is it new? or have they always done this? regardless its something..

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
What I'm going to say is strange, but then again, most of what I say is.

The animals are evolving and getting smarter. Eventually we'll have to get out of their way so that they may take primacy over this world.

Just as those before us did the same so we could have our time in the sun.

Just a thought, but one I find strangely compelling.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure these apes have had a 401k for quite some time...

Seriously though, I'm not surprised at all by this study. They are a lot more intelligent than they are given credit for.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Come on. Animals have been planning for their futures since the beginning of time. Animals that hibernate fatten up before the winter. Squirrels hide their nuts in the ground. Every living thing take various actions to help increase their chances of survival. Plants as well. I do notfind this amazing at all. Negative flag for this one.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
What about squirrels and the such who collect nuts to hold them over during the winter periods?

Is that, in and of itself, not preparing for the future?

new topics

top topics

join