It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Obama Really a College Professor or Not?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I got into a discussion with an ex-Hillary supporter who swears Obama was never really a college professor. She claims that he was just a lecturer.

And then another friend of mine who's an Obama supporter told me that the Hillary supporter was wrong, and that Obama was indeed a college professor.

Anybody know which version is true, or even the difference between a lecturer and a professor?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Obama was not a college professor, only a lecturer on leave.

Take it from Chicago U.

www-news.uchicago.edu...

Obama has flat-out lied about being a professor. Not surprising though, lies about most everything else.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Thanks!

I guess that solves that mystery.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
There are so many situations like this when it comes to Obama. Half truths, partial truths, a tiny insignificant truth beautifully wrapped in the finest silk and adorned with a solid gold bow on top which you later discover isn't silk but polyester and the gold bow isn't really solid, it's only gold plated.

I hope that the MSM will wake up out of their spell and start doing their jobs. I don't know, maybe ask questions and do a little homework?? That might be a good start. I don't think it would take long before it is made clear that the real Obama isn't anything like the guy that everyone is going ga-ga over!

Jemison

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
That article doesn't say he WASN'T a professor. But let's go to the actual school instead of a newspaper. Shall we?

University of Chicago

The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer."

From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School's Senior Lecturers has high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined.

Any questions?

Originally posted by Jemison
I don't know, maybe ask questions and do a little homework??
Jemison

Exactly, Jemison. You should do that.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Wow. You know, if there had been this kind of scrutiny about GW before he was elected, we very well might live in a totally different world.

And a big BOOYAH to you Benevolent Heretic, way to set the record straight.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin
Wow. You know, if there had been this kind of scrutiny about GW before he was elected, we very well might live in a totally different world.

Which is exactly why I'm so surprised at how many Obama supporters become upset when people scrutinize Obama. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind getting upset at looking into Barry O.'s background and history, and whether or not he's a brazen liar like some of the other politicians we've elected.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Please remain on topic.

the topic is not the other member.

This is your warning.

Thank You.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The talking about other posters needs to stop now.

Please discuss the topic, "Was Obama Really a College Professor or Not?" and not each other.

This is a reminder for all participants in this thread and should serve as a friendly reminder for the rest of the political forums.

Thank You.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Loosely speaking, the term "professor" is often used to refer to any member of a college or university faculty. Strictly speaking, it is a rank within the college faculty, with lecturer or instructor being the beginning rank, followed by assistant professor and then full professor. The University of Chicago has the additional rank of senior lecturer. Faculty at all ranks are fully responsible for the choice of course materials, development of the syllabus, grading and teaching.

As the University of Chicago has stated, in the information Benevolent Heretic has provided, Obama chose not to teach full time. That in no way means he was inferior to the other faculty in the quality of his work.

Thank you, Benevolent Heretic, for an excellent post.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
Which is exactly why I'm so surprised at how many Obama supporters become upset when people scrutinize Obama.

I think the scrutiny is good.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't get upset when people scrutinize Obama. I say bring it on!

What I think people DO get upset about are the repeated, fantastical claims of corrupt intentions and fraudulent practices without any real basis or foundation to back them up. And even then, I don't get "upset", just a bit weary.

But that's ok. Because EVERYTHING I have looked into has brought me to the point where I am today, which is deciding to vote for him. And I'm doing it with my eyes open because of all the research I've done in order to examine these claims. So I am grateful for the scrutiny and claims.

So, I say, "Bring 'em ON"!!!
For I am...

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Nice work BH, I see you have torpedoed another disinformation boat

It's rather depressing that we keep having to set the record straight, the Baracknophobics seem to specialize in twisting the facts around to suit their attempt to SwiftBoat the guy

Nothing new, this same far-right crowd has always been ethically handicapped...

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Strictly speaking, it is a rank within the college faculty, with lecturer or instructor being the beginning rank, followed by assistant professor and then full professor. The University of Chicago has the additional rank of senior lecturer.

Actually, the ranks vary from school to school.
One common ranking:
Instructor/Lecturer
Assistant Professor
Associate Professor
Professor

At some schools, senior lecturer is equivalent to what others call Associate Professor, and lecturer is equivalent to Assistant Professor. There is no "one rule fits all".
At many schools, Instructor/Lecturer and Assistant Professor are non-tenured positions, while Associate Professor and Professor are tenured positions. The length of time that it takes to receive tenure varies greatly.

Although I am not an Obama supporter, given what I have read about Chicago's Law School, I don't think that calling himself a professor would be a deception. If he had said that his TITLE was full Professor, I would consider that to be a problem, but as is, I would say that this is a non-issue.

Let's get back to discussing issues and platforms, and not words.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Can this topic have a big [ YES HE WAS] next to it. Cause I think BH ended any debate in that regard.

Rather than leaving the topic title as is, cause speculation among lurkers who might not read the whole way through. Yes he was considered a professor by the school. Question answered, debate ended.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
I got into a discussion with an ex-Hillary supporter who swears Obama was never really a college professor. She claims that he was just a lecturer.

And then another friend of mine who's an Obama supporter told me that the Hillary supporter was wrong, and that Obama was indeed a college professor.

Anybody know which version is true, or even the difference between a lecturer and a professor?

Nice job BH, I'm glad you set the record straight but why is this thead even allowed according to the new rules.
Jamie clearly just stated some random piece of info that he heard from someone who heard from someone else. He didnt even do any research or post a link or anything. Just a random statement. This is exactly what I thought these forums were trying to rise above. This is political baiting without a doubt. He even tries to play naive, "does anybody know which version is true", do some research.
Does this make it ok for me to just make something up about the McCain/Palin ticket without links or any info. "I heard from so and so that blank candidate is lying about blank." And then try to play naive in questioning my own source of info.

This is the equivlent to cold calling and this thread should have been closed. No different from what Bush did to McCain in the 2000 primaries. Pose a hypothetical about a completely false piece of information to plant the seed that it may be true. I dont care if you delete my post. And I'm disappointed in the MODS for allowing this type of crap to linger. This is the most blatent violation of the new rules that I have seen since they have gone into effect.

This is a sad attempt to plant a false seed to raise question about something that is completely false.

Delete my post if you want but the mods are in violation of their own rules that they have implemented.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
Jamie clearly just stated some random piece of info that he heard from someone who heard from someone else. He didnt even do any research or post a link or anything. Just a random statement. This is exactly what I thought these forums were trying to rise above. This is political baiting without a doubt.

Well, jamie is banned, so I guess these sorts of threads caught up with him. Why this thread was bumped recently I do not know, it's several months old.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
blame prof for resurfacing it. why this thread exists, but my thread with factcheck.org showing that mccains newest tv ad on obamas tax platform was deleted within seconds is beyond me.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

Boy do I feel silly, I didnt even notice the date. I just saw it at the top of the list and after I read it I went off. Apologies to the mods I called out. Didnt realize this thread started before the new rules.

Where is the embarrassed smiley face

cant type

top topics

<<   2 >>

join