It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Cloud Seeding Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm a long time reader but its my first time posting. Thought the group would enjoy this story a co-worker told me. I've known him 10 years, and see no reason why he would lie:

He was drafted (Vietnam) in the summer between finishing his undergrad and starting grad school. Since he had a physical science degree (geophysics) he was sent to an Army research facility (he didn't say where). He was assigned to work on a project testing various ways to enhance cloud seeding. The idea was that the military would seed the clouds and cause flash floods along the trail networks used by the VC.
They came up with some new seeding techniques and went to test them somewhere in the Southwest (Utah,Nevada...he didn't say). During one of their tests, they caused so much rain that a flash flood developed and ended up killing some cattle that was at a nearby ranch. Of course, they were terrified that their project was now going to be exposed by the press. As it turns out, the only press outlet that investigated the story was the National Enquirer. They were thrilled, since they knew that nobody would believe the story if it was in the Enquirer. Soon after, the war was basically over and the project was cancelled.
Moral of the story: Just because you see something in a tabloid, don't immediately dismiss it. Of course, this story is probably the exception more than the rule!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
You're right, cloud seeding did occur during the vietnam war by introducing silver iodide into clouds to stimulate the growth of water vapour into low level clouds.

I seriously doubt that it caused a flash flood though as the success rate of cloud seeding is not that great. I dont really understand why they did do it in the first place actually.....Vietnam is in the tropics and heavy rain and flooding is common in the wet season (I live in tropical Australia).

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
There was a USAF project in Vietnam called "Operation Popeye", that the attempt was to increase rainfall over the Ho Chi Minh trail to try to make it impassable, through seeding of thunderstorms.

new topics

join