It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nursing Standards RAPIDLY declining in hospitals

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Reply to Dan Tanna & Wotan

I applaud both of you for taking up nursing, I only wish the whole country would get behind the nurses and support them 100%. You were thouroughly screwed last year with the pay deal what was it 2% spread out over a year or something because it was turned down at first?

Originally posted by Wotan

Look to the UK news of yesterday. Is it fair that an Oil Tanker DRIVER receives a 14% pay rise to make it up to a basic salary of £36,000 per year? The jobs of Nurse and Driver do not come anywhere near comparison.

My mam was up in arms over this its an absolute disgrace! Coming home from a 12 hour night shift to see this on the morning news.

Its a shame nurses can't strike you deserve alot more money for doing that kind of job. Your good will is totally being taken advantage of.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
14 % pay rise...

Truckers deserve almost TWICE what a new nurse gets ?

All I can say is when those fat lazy slobs have heart attacks they are the rudest, nastiest patients to look after.

Their attitudes are horrible, they are vile and sexist, think that their purile toilet jokes and mannerisms are 'witty banter' and moan like hookers who get ripped off at the slightest thing.

One fat lazy slob even demanded nurses at 3 am COOK, yes COOK his food that his wife brought in because...and get this...

I eat at three am in the lorry so why not here ? Its your job to look after me.

Ever hear a consultant go ape # ? you would of had you been there to witness it.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

I think the truckers got that 14% rise as a sort of bribe to keep them happy, if they decide to strike it could bring the country to a standstill so the government throw them a bone to keep them happy where as nurses have to take what there given and just get on with it, its absolutley disgraceful! You should be allowed to strike like everyone else...hell even the fireman decided to strike, the police are voting whether or not to strike so why not nurses!?

Your patience must be unending to be able to put up with that kind of rubbish on a day to day basis, I dont know what I'd do if I was in your shoes.

Hmmm...maybe I'd do a Dr Cox off Scrubs where he completley trashes the lab when hes p* off

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Here in the states we can strike and have. In 2000 we were out for 2 months. Collective bargaining is the only way to go and perhaps a union may be needed in the UK.

Our union is the prototype IMHO. Its small, all the officers have to be nurses from the president on down. Im on the negotiation team that negotiates with the hospitals. Whatever deal we make effects me as well. The dues are ultra low (The clerks who are represented by a national union pay 4 times what we do and we make 4 times as much). We got 17% over 3 years, its compounded so it works out to like 18.5 or so.

No offence to the ladies but large female group dynamics are pretty brutal, BUT if you get a large group of females unifed its a pretty powerfull force. Men make up about 5-10% of the nurses here in the US.

[edit on 6/21/08 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
reply to post by fred3110

Here in the states we can strike and have. In 2000 we were out for 2 months. Collective bargaining is the only way to go and perhaps a union may be needed in the UK.

Our union is the prototype IMHO. Its small, all the officers have to be nurses from the president on down. Im on the negotiation team that negotiates with the hospitals. Whatever deal we make effects me as well. The dues are ultra low (The clerks who are represented by a national union pay 4 times what we do and we make 4 times as much). We got 17% over 3 years, its compounded so it works out to like 18.5 or so.

No offence to the ladies but large female group dynamics are pretty brutal, BUT if you get a large group of females unifed its a pretty powerfull force. Men make up about 5-10% of the nurses here in the US.

[edit on 6/21/08 by FredT]

We in the UK do have 'Nurse Unions' - The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) is the big one. There are also a few others as well. I am a Steward of the RCN. Recently there have been calls to change the RCN's stance on 'striking'. But as you well know, nurses always feel that tug of looking after patients interests before their own.

Men make up approximately 11% or the nursing workforce in the UK.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join