It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters cameraman killed by Israeli tank (Graphic)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Reuters cameraman killed by Israeli tank (Graphic)

www.reuters.com

June 16 (Reuters) - Reuters cameraman Fadel Shana was killed by Israeli troops two months ago, while filming in the Gaza Strip. The Israeli army says it is investigating but has yet to explain its actions. Following are key facts established by Reuters with the aid of independent British investigators:
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.ynetnews.com

[edit on 20/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Here is the video: www.breitbart.tv...

Doesn't seem like he or his crew were indicative of a threat, I don't see any reason why this tank should have fired on them. It saddens me that there is so much bloodshed on a regular basis. I can't even imagine the horrors that many people go through on a daily basis in some countries.
In fact I think that is one of the main reasons I have a problem with an omnipresent, fully loving god. I'm sure the answer to that has something to do with free will, but wouldn't it be better to deny free will to those who would misuse it? Perhaps that would defeat the purpose then. But I digress; If all the people of this region would simply follow their holy texts and love their brethren so much of this pain could be avoided.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/17/2008 by ExquisitExamplE]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
There is no way that the Israeli army can justify its actions in this case. Firing at the press while there are several children around, with intent to maim and kill is outrageous.

A child is a child, regardless of ethnicity. How can the troop(s) responsible for this sleep without this shameful act resting on the conscience. It's an abomination.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Especially when you consider this:

-- There was at least one UAV above the scene. This drone should have been able to distinguish the press markings on Shana's vehicle and identify the presence of children.

I imagine even the tank itself would have good enough telescopics to identify the press markings on their vehicle. It begs the question: who ordered the shot? Is this just some sadistic trigger-happy tank gunner, or did he receive orders from higher in the chain of command? Both options are unsettling.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
The major media, in my country at least, will never talk about this. You hear of the four Israelis killed in a mortar attack, but never learn of the 24 Palestinians killed by tank in retaliation.

I have said it before, how one sided we are shown this 'conflict' is disgusting. We are fed stories of the 'militant' Palestinians fighting the 'righteous' Israeli army (defending democracy, damnit!), and the devestation is never shown from the other side.

Both sides are guilty. Regardless of the facts, we are practically force fed the same old line: the Palestinians are mindless terrorists, bent on 'destroying freedom'.

But at this point what does it matter anymore? Murder is answered with mass murder, mass murder answered with murder...

We're all just pointing fingers and yelling: "Your hands are bloodier than mine!"

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You know what really bothers me about this? That the person(s) who fired the shots knew who they were aiming at. Children and the press.

Which begs the question: At what point does a person disregard any moral sense of right and wrong? Shouldn't some type of inner voice have said, "You know that's a group of children you're aiming a lethal weapon at. To commence this course of action is wrong."

Even if the order came from higher up the ranks, how does a soldier knowingly fire a weapon towards a group of children?

What ever happened to the notion of moral, ethical conduct?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
the israelis knew what the were doing. the IDF is heartless gutless thugs.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

When you are taught not of your own wrong doings, and only that of the enemy, it is easy to look past your 'enemies' humanity.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

I believe you've struck a chord there. It amazes me how our humanity allows us the ability to dehumanize others. To discard other beings as trash perfectly suited for target practice.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I suppose one must also consider the possibility, however far-fetched and seemingly implausible, that this tank crew misidentified their target; friendly-fire accidents happen frequently in battle zones.
Certainly doesn't seem likely though, what with the technology available to Israeli soldiers. So why then was this atrocity committed? I doubt Israel will be forthcoming with any answers.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Ya, this is terrible. I agree accidents do happen. But in this case it was during the day with good visibility, with a drone makes it hard to believe this is one. One can only hope a proper investigation is carried out and the guilty party, if there is one, is punished accordingly.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Isreal will just keep taking and violating international treaties as long as we set the example for them and other neo-fascists around the world.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

True, accidents happen, and friendly fire is an unfortunate product of confusion in danger. However, when one repeatedly fires an accident...over and over and over again. That stops becoming an accident.

The civilian casualities are disturbingly high.

Considering friendly fire has the word 'friendly' in it, I would doubt it to be so. It is hard to kill your 'enemy' and call it a friendly mistake.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ExquisitExamplE

just wait for the Israeli supports come in and find a way to justify this,

nothing will happen to the solider, they kill cuvilians they get a pat on the back and sent back out.

this story reminds me of the bbc camera man that was shot and killed by IDF even after identifying him self.

no regard for human life, they must be making hitler proud

[edit on 17-6-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This isnt a new type of behavior. The Israeli army has been taking deliberate shots at journalists for a while. PBS had a really nice special on it, and they show the Isreali soldiers shooting a Palestinian journalist repeatedly even when already down on his face.

www.pbs.org...

I didnt rewatch the segment, but if this is the same one, they also show them shooting a young Palestinian girl.

Edit to add;

There was also an aid worker from New Mexico, Brian Avery, who was deliberately shot in the face by Israeli soldiers while clearly wearing a vest that showed him to be an aid worker. It didnt make the Big media, (or if it did it was a tiny spot quickly buried) but it was news here in New Mexico because he was a local boy.

www.wsws.org...

[edit on 17-6-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

just wait for the Israeli supports come in and find a way to justify this

Here I am!

Bodrul, I just think it would be fair to hear the other side of this horrific accident. You don't go into a court of law, tell your side of the argument and then expect the judge to make a decision.

I'm just asking you to put aside your deep bias and hatred for Israel and see if there might be a little more to this report than the Rueter's hit piece.

Becker

[edit on 17-6-2008 by Becker44]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
yeah i could see how those mistakes could happen.

because in broad daylight in clear view it isnt strikingly obvious that it was a newscrew and a bunch of palestinians on bicycles. i mean who hasnt seen a kid on a bike in the distance and thought to themselves "OH MY GOD A PALESTINIAN DEATH MACHINE!!!"

i mean it happens all the time.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

I'm just asking you to put aside your deep bias and hatred for Israel and see if there might be a little more to this report than the Rueter's hit piece.

How can you possibly claim this is a hit piece? The article is as concise and straight forward as a story can possibly be. No fluff. No teary-eyed witnesses recounting a horrific tragedy. Not even a gratuitous photo depicting the tastefully-covered, but bloodied, mortally wounded young victims.

There is no justification in the deliberate shooting of children, much less the press.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRepublic

Thanks for bringing some levity to the discussion, that was a good laugh. I know it's highly unlikely but I had to throw it out there in the spirit of unbiased reporting. All possibilities must be considered and examined carefully. At this point of course, I think we can all come to a conclusion about what happened. Regardless of what this conclusion may be, however, it is not necessarily the correct one.

Good responses so far, interesting to hear everyone's views on the topic.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Isreal is a racist nation. The jews have had a hard history and justify their actions on the basis of surviving in a hostile world. Their actions, though, perpetutate the hatred towards them. The United Nations turns a blind eye to Isreali crimes. But it is complicated...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join