It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Good Point, and that’s what I was trying to explain, its all relative. If a black hole is coming towards you...lets think ok now the milky way is currently being pulled toward the cluster of Virgo.

There does seem to be good evidence that the centre of our galaxy contains a black hole.

So if you observed the black hole coming to you from a place within the constellation of Virgo you would then say relatively that in fact the black hole or the "dark" part is at a speed of 600,000 M/S so dark from "that" point of view of the observer in Virgo, that Relative position is true.

But as you state if you were actually on the event horizon of the black hole indeed dark would have a different velocity. Now this is where I think most confusion comes in. TIME is relative to Gravity (special relativity etc) and velocity is measured using time.

Now the observer in andromeda if theorising, they are say affected by modest gravity effects on time/space say as on the earth, would as said see the velocity of dark in the black hole as 600,000 M/S but to the observer on the black hole Time nearly stops so velocity from that point of view would seem soooooo slow sooo ever soo slow, but from outside seems soo fast as stated even the light cant escape the dark sucking it in.

Its all about a few things. which are all relative.

What you are measuring e.g. the spaceship thingy in my first post or actual dark

Where you measure it from.

What’s happening to time in that point of observation because of the gravitational affects.

Its something that cant be stated either way because each time you measure it, it then changes due the above factors.

Also in recent experiments esp. regards the Einstein Bose equations light has in today’s world been slowed down to slower than a modern car!, its constant like the dark has been changed due to the relative factors involved, environment that the light travels in and such like.

as stated though in my first post "dark" does not exist anyhow its nothing has no start and finishing point so you cant measure it, until you can show me where the "dark" is or what it is! But if you play around with relativity a bit as above its interesting.

Njoy

Kind Regards,

Elf.

The Great Attractor, in the direction of the Centaurus constellation, attracts a river of galaxies which includes Milky way and the Local Group, the Virgo cluster, etc..., at the speed of about 600,000 m/sec.

Dovada research reference Library

Light, which normally travels the 240,000 miles from the Moon to Earth in less than two seconds, has been slowed to the speed of a minivan in rush-hour traffic -- 38 miles an hour.

Harvard university

[edit on 18-6-2008 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'd have to say the speed of dark is infinity...its everywhere. Only problem now is harnessing the darkness. At least in this universe.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by G Kar
I'd have to say the speed of dark is infinity...its everywhere. Only problem now is harnessing the darkness. At least in this universe.

Well this is true, we know that the universe is made up of "dark matter" that can only be measured by the gravitational of slowing effect t is having on the universes expansion and the play of movement between galaxies, we can see this "dark matter" because of it effect, but cant find it! a bit like a boat going across a pond seeing the wake but not the boat.

However The dark I think most on this thread and you are on about is the absence of anything, even "dark matter". What you say is the now becoming a reality, from the void or vacuum of nothing it is becoming increasingly likely that in fact the "quantum Building Blocks" of our universe, the energy latent in "nothing" as we observe it is actually huge much more than all the energy we see in the modern universe today.

Take this one on board. E=MC2 yep, we know that Energy = Mass x speed of light(in a vacuum) squared. Now if we turn this equation around a bit something amazing has been observed, being;

If we took all the visible mass in the universe all the starts, galaxies, dust, gas etc and turned it around e.g. M=c2/E what we find is staggering. All that mass in the entire universe if turned back into pure energy would contain the same energy as found in 1cm3 of the "void" or "nothingness" that is latent in the quantum flux or "Zero Point".

So the entire energy content of the entire universe we see is equal to 1cm3 of "nothing" interesting thought eh?

Regards

Elf.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Law of Conservation of Energy: 'energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but chanes from one form to another. Light is energy, therfore darkness is energy (just not visible), therfore darkness travels at the exact same speed as light.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Doesn't this whole discussion rest on the view of darkness being used. If we view darkness as the complete absence of light energy, in a similar way to viewing "cold" (absolute zero) as the lack of all heat energy from an object, then there can be no concept of speed as how can you define characteristics about nothingness? If though we view darkness as not being able to see it, that is the light energy isn't at the right wavelength or isn't great enough, then we have a reletavistic position and we could argue about speeds forever. Obviously I prefer the first approach but live my life using the second

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

good read!

AlBeMeT

top topics

<< 1   >>

join