It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Employers Blood Testing To Stop Smokers

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
If smoking is on it's way out, so is freedom. Obesity is already being attacked. Check your BMI, you may be 'morbidly obese' without knowing it. Next will be eating meat. Then it will be how you smell. then how you dress. Individuality and personal freedom is on it's way out, not just smoking.

Thank God in Heaven above I'm getting off the grid. My mountain will be a smoking area as long as I live, and that's a pledge.

TheRedneck

Thank God - can I pitch a tent ? I don't eat much and I'm very quiet
Okay, I'm a little left of center and we might disagree on some things but at least we could have some lively conversations
I'm so friggin over planet Crazed...people have lost their muthaf-ing minds and seem to be willing to bend over for any corporate nazi with a syringe for a paycheck...I CAN"T TAKE IT ANYMORE

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Anti-smoking has become an obsession in this country. Many, many people believe it is their right to control smokers and dictate to them when, where and even if they can light up. It is my observation that former smokers are the most militant of all when it comes to policing smoking.

Last year the city of Greenville S.C. not only banned smoking in public places but also ON THE STEET. The only place you can smoke is in your car, and I guess that's a crime too if the smoke drifts out of your window. I don't go to Greenville anymore, but have heard the street ban was being contested in court and has been suspended, at least for the time being.

I can see prohibiting smoking in the workplace and the grounds surrounding it. It is intolerable to have your private life dictated, especially if it doesn't interfere with your job performance.

The next step will probably be to blood test for alcohol. Then they'll make everyone weigh in before they can go to work--being down on overweight people is the newest craze in mind and body control.

The most maddening thing is that often the people who most value individual freedoms are the worst dictators when it comes to "vices," even legal ones.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Banning SPOUSES from smoking? Who have absolutely nothing to do with him? As a non-smoker, I think this man is obviously a control freak and needs to be stopped before he gets worse. Health is obviously not his motovation if he is banning spouses. If he was my boss, as an experienced truck driver who can find another job in 45 minutes, I would have found it very difficult to restrain myself from verbally abusing this man when I walked out the door.

One can only wonder what his policy is regarding people of different races or sexual preferences.

[edit on 18/6/08 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

The spouse smoking may have nothing to do with the health of the employee, but its not a control thing for the employer, it money. If the spouse is on the insherance its money to the employer.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Here is a list of areas in the U.S. that have various different smoking bans.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's more widespread than people think.

While I think this employers actions are a little drastic, this is probably a state included in the no smoking ban at work places.

I agree that what goes on at home should be excluded, it is common knowledge that second hand smoke is also bad for people, and could cause health problems.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
loosing job if i don't quit smoking? that means i can't smoke even at my home.
isn't that little sick mind of employer?
you all non-smokers can say it's for my own health but...
let then all fat people stop eating sugar and fat, and blood test every month.
let all people that drink alcohol (which i think are far more problem than smokers) stop drinking, blood test every month
let all people driving cars stop driving (you are poisoning my air that i breath)
let all people farting stop that, it's also health risk to me
let all people that drink coffee stop that, they are far more nervous than me...
let all people just do what your boss tell you, isn't that kind of nazi state you're turning into. you jump when i say!
Hitler once had that kind of attitude, but well after ww2 you did take alot of his scientist and propaganda agents in usa.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dinamo
loosing job if i don't quit smoking? that means i can't smoke even at my home.

Don't get me wrong, because I am a smoker. But it's a two way street. If you don't like the employer's policy then you can go work some place else.

I do agree with you that if this is to become a standard, then what is to stop it from spreading to other illness causing habits?

What if a person engages in several risky behaviors? I mean what if they are fat, and smoke, and have a drinking problem?

Can you imagine the amount of people who would be put out of work?

It would probably exclude a great portion of the entire working force of the nation!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
but I thought that what REALLY matter is that i'm good, honest, hard working employee that gives his best for his employer. and maybe for that i should get even a pay rise.
but no... you smoke, go find another job.
isn't that discrimination?
i lived in communism during 80's, and we thought you were land of the free...
now i doubt that is the case... even Russia has more personal freedom now

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Does that employer know that this blood tests are not cheap?
Or has he a special health freak discount?

I just love this health buffs. It would be an irony if he had a checkup and the doctor tells him he has a respiratory problem.

"but doctor I don't smoke"

"well sir, there are also other things like pollution, artificial air freshners, dust, air-conditioners, stress, karma ... Don't you know that?"

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dinamo
but I thought that what REALLY matter is that i'm good, honest, hard working employee that gives his best for his employer. and maybe for that i should get even a pay rise.

There are thousands of people just like you who can fill your shoes. Nobody is a special employee anymore for going above and beyond the call of duty.

You betcha it will get to a point where a non-smoker who is less qualified than you will get your position. Especially if the company you work for offers health insurance.

It's sad to even think about this happening, but if you were the employer looking for ways to cut costs for health insurance, and sick leave of employees, what would you do?

We are after all cattle and not human beings when it comes to corporate America!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
OMFG

How may braindead replies ..???????
Its irrelevant if it s smoking or drugs or any other thing ..
I am a free human beeing and thank god for not beeing American and braindead ..

I smoke when i want ..I pay my own healthcare ..
If only the money by smokers healthcare would actually go into healthcare...Yes it doesnt ..look it up

I fail to even acknoledge any of the ridculous braindead replies on here .,..
whats next ,...colour of your hail ...smell of your socks ..
FFS people wake up ..stop beeing idiots
walking around in your stinking poluted citiys is FAR WORSE THEN 5 packs of ciggies a day ..
You really are all that blind and conditioned

[edit on 18-6-2008 by terte]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

and you are wondering why US economy is going to hell??
only thing you care is how to lower costs, it doesn't matter your workforce are imbecils.
yeah, he's an idiot but he is constantly healthy so let him keep his job,
what a imbecil thinking

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Dinamo

I agree with you 100%.

You can see what is happening. I have actually worked at places where people are randomly drug tested, even white collar workers. My position was in human resources so I saw the paper work.

You'd be amazed at how some of the highest paid people had, drug problems.

I guess companies figure it's more cost effective to run these tests than to insure a person with a problem.

Sad, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is freaking ridiculous, what I do on my own time is my damn business. When I punch into work I can understand them not wanting me to smoke on their time, I can understand them not wanting me to smoke on their property but dammit when I am not on the clock It is my business what I put in my body. Sorry but this should be discrimination.

Cigarettes are legal my militant anti smoking friends. And I am sorry second hand smoke does not cause cancer unless inhaled in concentration for many years. The occasional whiff of smoke you all get is not going to harm you that badly.

I am sick of these anti smoking programs. this is what is bringing our country down. People forcing others to fall into line. Sorry if my smoke offends you, but when I am outside or in my own home it's my damn right to light up.

Before you say you got to breathe the same air I do check this out. Do you own a car? Well do you hear me bitching about your car exhaust clogging up my air? Do you hear me whining about your polluting fossil fuel burning ozone depleting green house gas emitting vehicle smoging up the sky? NO, why? Because its your damn right to drive your car.

But dammit I am just plain sick of people whining and bitching and moaning about smoking when they don't do it themselves. Get a life, there is more to worry about in this world than to test me and fire me because I choose to partake in a legal habit.

No way on this, this is too far and I bet someone who is fired over this policy could sue for discrimination or wrongful termination!

[edit on 6/18/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
it's alright to ban smoking inside office. i respect that, because i respect non smokers.
but non smoking in my free time. hahaha

off topic - i can't smoke, ok. but i worked with a person that farted all the work time. it was lowering my work efficiency for real, so company is losing money because i'm working slower than i could.
should we ban farting at work?

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Dinamo]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Cigarettes are legal my militant anti smoking friends.

Whatukno
I do agree with most of what you are saying. However, the way I am seeing this is a time is coming that tobacco use will become illeagle. I don't know how far off it is but I think it is coming.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

well then we'll smoke pot

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
I don't have an issue with an employer having a non-smoking policy since they're likely subsidizing health care and/or life insurance. I have a big problem with them attempting to enforce it on the spouses of their employees.

Well, spouses of employees are on the health insurance also.

What I want to know is when do we start discriminating against the fat people in this country?

Not to sound argumentive...but... The other side of the coin:

Smokers stop working at least every hour to go outside and smoke which is about a 10 minute ordeal. That's lost production in the workplace. The non smokers have to take up the slack for them.

I'm really anti-smoking. When a person lights up everyone around him becomes a smoker. What of non-smoker rights?

Now...
Obese people aren't even in the same catagory... unless you are having to sit next to them on a plane. In that case your rights are being violated by the person invading your personal space.

Again, not posting to be argumentive..just showing the other side of the coin.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Team Locke

you are right. but we said no smoking in office.
2nd - fat people need to eat, i worked with really fat person who ate every 2 hours so... he's eating more time than i'm smoking...

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Cigarettes are legal my militant anti smoking friends. And I am sorry second hand smoke does not cause cancer unless inhaled in concentration for many years. The occasional whiff of smoke you all get is not going to harm you that badly.

Lung cancer is not the only problem that people have to worry about from second hand smoke.

pediatrics.about.com...

Children who breathe this smoke are more likely than other children to get sick. They may have more mucus. The fluid in their middle ears may build up and cause ear infections. They may develop pneumonia, bronchitis and other lung infections. If they have asthma, it may get worse.

quitsmoking.about.com...

While it is unlikely that a person would suffer cyanide poisoning from cigarette smoke, breathing in small amounts of hydrogen cyanide may cause:

There is also a risk of pre menapausal women developing breast cancer from second hand smoke.

quitsmoking.about.com...

Both nonsmoking and actively smoking premenopausal women exposed to secondhand smoke (passive smoking) on a regular basis appear to have an increased risk of getting breast cancer. The results of a review of 19 published studies looking at passive smoking and breast cancer risk were published in the November 2005 issue of International Journal of Cancer.

So it isn't just lung cancer to be concerned about.

My oldest son suffered from ear infections and asthma when he was small. He couldn't be around second hand smoke at all or these conditions were aggrivated.

So, I think this is why this employer is trying to make it clear they don't even want spouses smoking, especially if they are on the health insurance policy along with dependants.

I am sick of these anti smoking programs. this is what is bringing our country down. People forcing others to fall into line. Sorry if my smoke offends you, but when I am outside or in my own home it's my damn right to light up.

It would seem that as I mentioned before that if this becomes a regular policy at work places and if you don't like it, then you will have to find another job.

I hear you being a smoker myself, but your second hand smoke may be affecting other people.

No way on this, this is too far and I bet someone who is fired over this policy could sue for discrimination or wrongful termination!

[edit on 6/18/2008 by whatukno]

If the policy at a work place was not part of the hiring process, then possibly a person could sue. Most employers now a day have people read an employee handbook of some type and then sign something to the effect they understand policy. If it's in the policy that no smoking is enforced even outside the work place (extending to spouses, etc) then they cannot sue. Even if a change in policy is made after you are already employed, most employers will have you sign something stating you are aware of the new policy.

edit to fix tag and quote

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join