It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Disposable Heroes': Veterans Used To Test Suicide-Linked Drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

'Disposable Heroes': Veterans Used To Test Suicide-Linked Drugs

abcnews.go.com

Mentally distressed veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan are being recruited for government tests on pharmaceutical drugs linked to suicide and other violent side effects, an investigation by ABC News and The Washington Times has found.

James Elliott and his fiancee tell Brian Ross about his experience on Chantix.The report will air on Good Morning America and will also appear in The Washington Times on Tuesday. (click here to read "The Washington Times" coverage of "Disposable Heroes")
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I really don't know what to say about this... I mean using already psychologically damaged veterans to test drugs already linked to psychosis and suicide can only be described as a betrayal and callous beyond words...

... and to pay them $30 a month for the favor is adding insult to injury.

What flaming jerk thinks up things like this?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The more I think about this the madder I get... we veterans; whether serving is war time or not, have already served our country, done what we were asked to do to the best of our abilities and we deserve better than this.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Oh man, that is absolutely terrible. Poor chaps. Not only do I feel terribly sorry for the guys used as guinea pigs but also for the rest of your citizens who will have this stop smoking drug released into the market place, DESPITE all the warnings as "the benefits outweigh the risks". Charming.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It is not just that drug unfortunately but a host of them. I took part in a trial recently for a new style of inhaler for COPD and asthma (I have COPD) that elimates the freon in them and I was fully informed about the product I was testing ( I know, before I signed up I went online and did my research and it jived with what I was told) so either my researchers were honest and through or theirs deliberately withheld information that would allow the vets make an informed decision.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Saddly, American soldiers as guinea pigs is a very old practice.

www.apfn.org...

The hypocrisy of the govt. towards vets and active duty is astonishing.

I too was given experimental drugs while in the USAF.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
my VA primary physician, prescribed me Zyban a earlier
anti-smoking pill...
the 90 day bottles had no cost to me back in 1999 or Y2k.

but here's the catch... the instuctions clearly state that Zyban
should not be prescribed to persons with high blood pressure And
persons who had a stroke !!!
the two things that caused my brain hemorrhage 3 years earlier...

needless to say, i gave the prescription(s) away to a person i knew who was attempting smoking cessation. [& they never took the pills either]

i posted this VA blunder in a thread response some time ago...
when the topic was about mistreating Vets......
I could imagine...that, at least accidently... the VA clinics Doctor may have made a mistake or thought that the benefits outweighed the risks--(of taking the verbotten RX) ~~ who knows?

another example of culling the VA rolls, might be the toxic cure for the much diagnoised 'hepititis C' scourge that seems to run rampant in the VA community.

These are only two of the 'conspiracy' factors, which may be marginally true or patently false... but these remain only couriosity issues here on ATS... and should remain low-keyed, as govt agents might be able to track down whistle blowers & those that complain...

thanks,

grover don't make oneself a high profile target

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   

These are only two of the 'conspiracy' factors, which may be marginally true or patently false... but these remain only couriosity issues here on ATS... and should remain low-keyed, as govt agents might be able to track down whistle blowers & those that complain...
reply to post by St Udio

Amen to what you just posted brother. I was told to keep it on the down low....I quote "you never know who you are talking too"...since then I keep it somewhat on the downlow...

Anyways I have had my fair share fo "treatments" for PTSD. After all was said and done I just live with it. No pills, very little booze. I don't smoke cigartettes. I smoke.

My VA Psych. doctor, after this war, is way to busy to see me and I am sort of glad. I don't want to be reminded or talk about that crap any more.

I suppose if I decided to make and apoitment I could see him but I used to just drop in and he would see me. Not anymore...way to busy.

The goverment have used vets as lab rats for a long time. I believe the thinking goes along this line.

" A person's worth is judged by how much we have invested in that person."

Interpretation means that if you are just a grunt and not a West Point grad then you can be used for tank tracktion should push come to shove.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I have to say as a veteran and one with a disability, I have been treated remarkably well up at the local VA hospital... though I have heard others say that they haven't been... but in some cases its obviously a case of sour grapes... my only complaint about my treatment at the hospital is that it takes forever to get anything done... of course I know that there is a shortage of qualified staff and a backlog... that being said last July I was up in Chicago when my appendix burst (a life experience to truly be missed) and I was given excellent care....

... of course the emergency room sent the wrong info to surgery and I had to tell the OP staff what I was there for.

But then having a little phillipinese nurse give me sponge baths was mighty nice.

I wanted to take her home with me but my girl friend wouldn't let me keep her.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

People make the mistake of thinking Eugenics projects only target the feeble. Veterans are being targeted because people who serve in the military are more likely to end up wealthy than those who do not serve in the military. College professors and employers favor veterans over non veterans. The line between the wealthy and the poor is becoming more exagerated ,so some people will do whatever it takes to protect their place on the gravy train.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Truly appalling! As history has it, returning soldiers will often find relief/self medicate with illegal drugs/alcohol. To even ask this group to use this drug is beyond belief.

Jeez, if current times are like the past, the military creates smokers with nicotine addiction and alcoholics, by offering young men and women their first taste or a psychological/physical need for nicotine/alcohol. My parent's generation certainly bore this out with WW2/Korean War recruits.

I met a woman recently at a party, who sadly told me a story about a friend of hers, a woman who worries daily that her 22 year old son, who served in Iraq, will commit suicide. He already painfully relates to his mother stories about his service there, about the questionable killing he had to do. I wonder if he is either on medication for PTDS or having suicidal thoughts because of medication.?

Also, was the drug being tested for its intended purpose, or an alternate use for it, something maybe for PTDS?

God, maybe if drugs are the answer, our leaders should be given drugs to stop them from sending a nation to war.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by desert

I quit smoking 9.5 years ago and have COPD thanks to it. In Coast Guard basic training back in the 70's if you smoked you got a 15 minute smoke break every few hours... if you didn't smoke you kept doing whatever you were doing... like running or push-up's etc. I like a lot of kids started smoking in basic just to get that 15 minutes.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
im a vet my self and my psych asked me what i wanted to take for Anxiety i chose valum. works great.

from the article it sounds to me like they volinteered. i have no problem with it if these people are doing it willingly and i dont think its much of a conspricy either. just my oppinion..

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The North Florida/South Georgia VA system is amazing. I have PTSD (Desert Storm) & each time that I go back for a psych appointment, it's like..."who's your doctor?"

I honestly believe that some day I will sign in for my appointment, then to be told to report to Room xyz, only to go in & discover Elmer Fudd or Dr. Daffy Duck sitting behind a desk. I guess if I do find them, they will be better than the musical chair dance that I've been playing with the doctors who may as well have had paper bags over their heads.

Bye the way troops, the nightmares never, I repeat, NEVER go away. It's been 17 years for me. I smoke pipe tobacco- no filters, please! You just have to find your own special way of coping. I am usually online every night checking up on any recent UFO landings or fly byes. I wish that I could find a web site where I could talk about some issues.

Thanks everyone of you who gave more than a part of your self & soul for this land of the free & home of the brave.

Go Big Red One!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DREAMING MAN
The North Florida/South Georgia VA system is amazing. I have PTSD (Desert Storm) & each time that I go back for a psych appointment, it's like..."who's your doctor?"

I honestly believe that some day I will sign in for my appointment, then to be told to report to Room xyz, only to go in & discover Elmer Fudd or Dr. Daffy Duck sitting behind a desk. I guess if I do find them, they will be better than the musical chair dance that I've been playing with the doctors who may as well have had paper bags over their heads.

Bye the way troops, the nightmares never, I repeat, NEVER go away. It's been 17 years for me. I smoke pipe tobacco- no filters, please! You just have to find your own special way of coping. I am usually online every night checking up on any recent UFO landings or fly byes. I wish that I could find a web site where I could talk about some issues.

Thanks everyone of you who gave more than a part of your self & soul for this land of the free & home of the brave.

Go Big Red One!

the dorn va medical hospital here in columbia. is awsome. my dr. and psych calles me at least once a week. everytime i sign in they know exactly what im there for. the only problem i have is they never send my hydrocodone on the right day. my doc gives me 28 days worth so i dont run out on a weekend but the pharm only lets it go every 30 days. kind of a pain(pun intended). anywho 12 surgries in 2 years has a way of makeing you bitter...

new topics

top topics

join