It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you consider as the best martial art in the world?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Muay Thai combined with american boxing. Unbeatable.

Until they get taken down with a double leg and get submitted with an arm bar because they don't have any ground training.

My boyfriend fights MMA and he says mixed arts is the winning combination.
So the answer to which technique is better?
All of them!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yes, ground work is very good to know BUT I seen a street fight one time where a guy took a guy to the ground only to get stab with a ice pick from other guy's friend. not the brightest move to do in a crowd of people. I have seen that situation more than once.
\
Also when i was in a fight a guy grabbed me and took me to the ground, well he let go the minute i jabbed my thumb in his eye, then punched him in the nuts, twice.

You need to know ground fighting so you can get out of a hold or subdue a opponent but that should not be your main focus.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Optix]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Since you asked! I like judo the most. I guess it's because I'm also a wrestling fan. Seems kinda neat them throwing each other around like that. PS I'm no expert, too.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
[edit on 18-6-2008 by unite_life]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Hello everyone and again another great post.

Now I am not conceded and there is no ego attached to the following statement. I am a teacher and on going student of Muay Thai, Ving Tsun Kung Fu, and Jiu Jitsu. I also partake in Capoeira, Karate, Kendo, Chi Gung, and Tai Chi.

Now there is no doubt that the martial arts help condition the body to give and take hits and pain, creates discipline, and encourages communion with the human spirit / spirituality. However, all martial arts have their pros and cons. E.g. Jiu Jitsu is good for bringing a person down, but that leaves you open to other attacks from the attackers friends or leave you open to the attackers durty fighting... Like ball hits, biting, and eye gouging. But these are not really durty fighting... it is a pure reaction to survive which leads me into my next topic.

The fact is we have to develop the fight or flight reaction that is in our R complex of our brain... I mean we can practice for 10 years and still not be able to successfully defend ourselves. Sure their are masters, that meditate to clear their mind and is able to be calm during chaos and recall all the movies necessary to get them out of their situation, but for commoners it is a different story.

We need to develop the basic of attacks and reactions. There is the saying "Despite all their knowledge of their arts, their styles went out the window". this is true... when a fight goes on and on.. you start to abandon your fancy style and resort back to a primal mode of just fling your arms in a gorilla like rage. When you can engrave your mind to harness this gorilla arm flinging rage, into a controlled defensive movement then you got it down.

This guy pretty much explains it pretty well but watch out in signing up for an account on his web page or any merchandise cause you will be spamed like no other. Just look at the videos he has on his website or on youtube/google video.

www.closecombattraining.com...

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Optix

Crap! I didn't even think of the 'ol ice pick in the back trick!
I was mostly talking about civilized cage fighting

Im glad Im a chick because we just pull hair, windmill swing and call eachother "bitch!"

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Ehhhh..

Not so fast Badge ..

It says Ryan Parker is representing Okinawan Karate, or some form of Karate, not Taiji. In fact, there is no such thing as Wang style Taiji. Did you mean Yang style or Wu style Taiji? at any rate, that guy Parker surely wasn't using it. Even if he was, even I'll say a Tai Chi practitioner, or any striker or standing fighter who does not have a very decent ground game is going to lose in any MMA/UFC match. That's because the rules are advantageous toward the grapplers and these are not "real fights", as I explain below, so the Gung-fu practitioner is very restricted in his choice of attacks.

Allow me to say one thing about the UFC: It is merely full contact sport.

1)Yes, they are wearing gloves aren't they? Not boxing gloves, but gloves that make it hard to perform alot of different hand techniques.
2)Not even that, but there are rules. Any fight with rules is NOT the real thing.
3)Can one UFC fighter poke his finger into the other ones eye socket? Can one UFC fighter yank the others' finger and purposefully snap it? What about purposefully snapping an elbow, knee, ankle or wrist in a mere second, not even applying more pressure to make him "tap out"? Or God forbid someone actually bit/yanked someone's ear off .. at any rate the guy would get disqualified and the fight stopped.
4)They are also fighting on a hollow (below) MAT .. not a concrete sidewalk.
5)They only have to fight for 3 minutes tops, then they get to rest, and do it again 3 times in a row.

There, i dont need to keep going into the UFC rulebook.

In a real fight, theres no rounds, no gloves, no rules, no wrestling mats, no corner to go to to get tips and a breather and some vaseline on your wounds, theres nothing and no one to stop your opponent from actually breaking bones, not just tapping you, and actually choking you unconcious, not just tapping you. Do you understand that even UFC/MMA is not "real combat" ?

In a real fight situation, if I really truly feel my life is threatened, I am going to feel guilty for possibly maiming the guy afterward, but if I feel the need to, I will go immediately for the eyes and throat. I will immediately go for the spot behind both ears and press in with all my might until the guy falls limp. Then I check for pulse. If he taps, im not stopping?

So then, I am just making people realize even UFC fights are not "real fights", and that just because grapplers always win UFC fights, and always win via submission (with the occasional ground n' pound), doesn't make those styles of fighting the most deadly, or best for street self defense, because UFC's rules are advantageous to the grapplers by far.

A better full contact sport in my opinion is Chinese Sanda / San Shou.. its like MMA except theres no extended ground grappling, if it goes to a sprawl they break it up and make both fighters stand back up. Watching two grown men squeeze each other out over and over again gets so freaking boring .. I mean geez.. lol..

For those interested in the history of the internal arts (tai chi / pa kua / bagua / hsing-I ), this is a great conversation between Sifus in NYC about the foundation/history of the styles.
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6/18/2008 by runetang]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It's all about what's most effective... I've sparred with traditional martial artists and they abandon years of technique once struck... I train MMA fighters and have been involved with MMA for almost 5 years. Muay Thai, boxing, and GRAPPLING (which is submission wrestling and includes jiu-jitsu) are by far the most effective in reality.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well after nine pages i've come to this conclusion.
There really is no "Best" martial art in the world.

It's a combination of different styles or just a will to win that wins a fight.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
A real fight would favor the man most conditioned for close quarters combat... Like I said, I train MMA fighters and have fought professionally. In a street fight, you better know more than traditional martial arts if you want to have a chance. It's hilarious to hear how street fighting is so different, but once you've been in a submission situation, you then become a fan of MMA and understand that in the streets, MMA knowledge is just that much more dangerous to a biting, hair pulling, finger grabbing survivalist with no knowledge of defense, or an effective offense.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Anthony.Phoenix

I agree, you have to have a ground game to stand a chance against anyone except another striker .. and even then, if he knows a bit, and you know none, he might pull it on you! Lol ..

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fiorano

i did Pankration for ahwile but broke my collar-bone while practicing throws haha so i kind have moved away from it, but my school is one of the qualified Pankration schools under the Fight League group that we have here in SoCal.

eghh its ok, but too much manliness and not enough spirituality overall.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Bamboo forest.

Find a teacher that will take you on, nothing, nothing at all will phase you after two or three years of good solid hard work with a good instructor.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
ru-nli-kef-ook is such a lost martial art these days.

I suppose what with the increase in average body weight and decrease in cardio fitness..

This can also be supplemented with..

Hi-dein-bushido if your legs fail you..

EDIT..

Oyeah Citizen Smith.. I haven't seen Ecky-Thump mentioned for years

That was back in the days of THE GOODIES..
en.wikipedia.org...

Way before Bill Oddie started his obsession with looking at Great Tits.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 18-6-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
We should show and prove by ATS testing. lol I'll be the first to volunteer and prove that MMA or VALE TUDO would be most realistic in the street... whoever taps first or is knocked out obviously loses. We can youtube it and make it a fun filled event. Anyone intersted in doing traditional VS MMA?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
woops my other one is called qi gong which uses your chi energy to perform many different feats such as pull someone towards you just by touching them walking over extended paper pulling bricks from afar heat tea with your hands etc.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
My advice - find a martial art that will teach you how to defend yourself when you're on the ground; how to grapple, specifically, like Jiu Jitsu.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
it is not the martial art it is the artist! I have trained in tung soo do, JJ, Goshinjutsu and (currently) my finial art Aikido. you need to pick an art #1 for your body type IMO and #2 your reason to train. if you want to compete in MMA, then train in mma. if you want avoid conflict take up aikido. if you want self defense take a course in that! you only need a few good moves to save your ass. it will work just long enough to get away

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Muay Thai is the best IMHO

It really stuck in my mind the image from the 80's Van Damn flick Bloodsport.
A champion Muay Thai fighter kicking a column over and over to toughen his legs.

The conditioning. The bone density. The striking power.

The show Fight Science calculated the force generated by various martial arts moves and the Muay Thai knee strike was the most devastating hit.

In UFC 64 the champion Rich Franklin was caught in a tight Muay Thai clinch and was kneed repeatedly in the face untill his face looked inside out. It was brutal and effective. Hands down, the scariest martial art.

I watched the show Fight quest where they traveled to Thailand to train in the mountains with the real deal masters and they showed some moves that are olmost guaranteed to kill you.

Watch Tony Jaa in Ang Bak or The protector and you will agree. Muay Thai is a very very impressive martial art in the right hands.

really it comes down to how bad the individual wants it and has trained to get it. the style is always secondary to the man using it. But Muay Thai is my favorite.

edited for spelling

[edit on 18-6-2008 by guyopitz]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
some of these are funny, some are pretty decent.

krav maga isn't bad, same with systema. we have both here and I'm looking into trying out both of them since I've studied various styles since around 4th grade.

outside of these, since they can be hard to find unless you're on the west coast.. one that I loved and is very effective.. Modern Arnis ...

Its all about ranges.
Tae kwon do is made fighting in the space of a field with your opponent
Ju-jitsu is made for fighting in the space of a bedroom with your opponent
Arnis is made for fighting in the space of a phone booth with your opponent

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join