It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quitting smoking,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Getting some rather strong urges at the moment,decided to quit last night.

If I can just get through today,I can make a start on tomorow.

*deep breaths*

Anyone else want to struggle through it with me? We can send abusive u2us to eachother to illeviate the stress. (and to save me taking it out on my boss,who probably wont mind a few extra names,but I'd rather not agitate him too much)

gggrrrrr,you all smell of wee and poo
:bnghd::bash:

I've got half a fag in my car (that's a cigarette over here before you think I'm related to Jefry Darmer) I know if I can keep it there for a week,then I can throw it away. But it'll looking tempting at the moment.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I hope you do it and are successful...

Best of luck.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
thanks dude

So do I,it's a disgusting habbit. I'm going to get myself a little pipe at lunch,so I can carry on with my herbalism,and not poison myself with baccy.

Deep breathing really is helping.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I gave up 2 years ago now! and gosh if i can lol I loved to smoke!

TIPS

Take each secound as it is,

EAT loads of gum! lol The nicoteen gum was good for me for the first week, i then changed to normal gum to save money,

I kept ciggs around me, Not having them made me want them more,
So i got my self 10 so that if i needed it i was not going to have to wait,lol,

Also keep telling yourself, You have suffered 24 hours you have got that far, make it a day ect tell your self your not going to give in after going through that many hours,

Good luck! DO it for yourself,

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
And for God's sakes, stay busy as possible and you won't think about it much. If you have to, run up and down 12 flights of stairs. That will definitely take your mind off smoking for a while.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I've pretty much quit because I couldn't afford the cost during unemployment. It was hard but I had no choice. I just did it cold turkey and stayed away of those who do smoke. I think it would be real difficult to quit if some house members smoke. That wasn't the case for me.

I still smoke like one or two cigs a month to get that fix so I guess I'm still addicted, but it's under control.

I hate it when you walk by someone outside that is smoking. Sometimes it smells horrible and sometimes it smell real good!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I kind of broked it. But,2 and a half smokes instead of 20 in a day is a marked improvment!! (I'm impressed at that,if a little dissapointed that I didn't last the day) Still,tomorow,there's another day isn't there

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Yes, I agree! I would always hear people say that if you only smoke one or two a ... (whatever time frame) than why don't you just quit completely. These are the type of people that have never really started smoking and good for them, but they are clueless.

I say, I understand and that your on the right path as long as you don't start raising the stick count. (Cancer Stick This Is)!

apc

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Watch out on that herbalism. You can easily replace your addiction to nicotine with a psychological addiction to that wonderful friend. In times of stress when you would normally reach for a cigarette, do not reach for the pipe. Find some other way to calm down. Such as killing people. And eating them. But don't smoke something else just because it's healthier for you. That would be bad.

For me I quit cigarettes cold turkey after asking myself, "Why am I doing this?" I couldn't answer, so I stopped. A couple times a year I'll feel like taking a relaxing drive through the countryside smoking a cigar, and I inhale and enjoy every last bit of the nicotine. But when I'm done I have no desire to smoke more. When you don't have the tolerance ingesting nicotine can be a very pleasurable experience.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by apc]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I personally would love to quit. My son is now 3 months old and have promised my wife I would quit before he was born. Not many of my friends smoke so quitting with someone is out of the question.

So I accept. If you can do it, so can I. Lets kick this crap together man!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
apc,I have an outlet luckily. Meditation is helping me so much. (jesterman,I recomend!!) Coupled with the fact that my boss lets me verbally abuse him in quite disgusting ways,my stress levels shouldn't get the better of me cos I can just take it out on him (he's an ex smoker,he understands)

They should ban this crap once and for all!!

oh,and don't worry 'bout the greens,I'm an ex addict of much harder things,it's the least of my worries,but i kow i can't use it as an "instead of" IF there's some lessons i've learnt in life,they're addiction related,and i've learnt from them. (I hope
)

1 today so far,which means I can only have 1 more for the whole day if I'm going down and not up.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
AHHHHHHHH yes i know the feeling.

I stopped 5.5 years ago and it was cold turkey. NOW, i have been smoking again for the last 2 years and every week (that means that after 3.5 years i started again
) i say i need to stop. BUT, wanna know a secret, well for me anyways, it is MUCH harder to stop the second time round!!

Give it your best and remember there are many who wish they could give it up but just do not have the will power.

It's mind over matter - Ciggy companies don't mind cos YOU don't matter!!! hehehehe

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I have tried to quit a few times. The longest was when my wife was pregnant. The smell made her sick, so I had to quit. I did start back up again when I went through Basic Training..... dang military.

The next time I quit for about 3 months. Then I had a family member die and I started again. I just really have bad luck sometimes.

I want to quit again, but I need to talk my wife into it as well. I know I won't be able to quit unless she does too.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
yeah,it's hard that's for sure. I'm also a "second time round" smoker. Gave up for a few years about 8 years ago. But started again for some stupd reason.

I will be quitting this time. Cos I've told myself i will. If you say it enough times in your head,you'll start to belive it (well,that's what I'm trying anyway
)

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Congratulations, Acid and also Jester, on making this decision

It is very tough, I have done it before but got severely depressed when I moved to Japan so I made the conscious decision to start again. I do smoke less than I used to though and some days go without completely.

I did it with hypnotherapy, it worked very well for me and I recommend it if it is within your means and available to you. I didn't want for a single cigarette for 2 whole months, which might not seem like a long time but I was quite impressed.

Good luck and God speed with your mission

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Congratulations Acidtastic!! You've done EXCELLENT! That is awesome that you have cut from 20 - 2. That is something to be proud of! Keep up the good work - you can do it bud!

When I first went off to College, I was smoking 20 - 25 a day. It was horrible, 25 is a whole pack - in Canada. It didn't help that my roomate smoked also, and we had a smoking apartment, and ashtrays everywhere...it was so gross!

I quit when I moved back home after colloege (see I was a closet smoker, I didn't want my parents to know), so it was cold turkey. Every once in a while at the bar, out with people, or on a long road trip, I'll have the urge to have one...once in a while I'll indulge. As Mr.Mysticism said, sometimes you walk by people who are smoking and it either smells horrible or really good? Well for me its the smell of when its first lit up, that is the smell I love.

Keep it up though, seriously, the Cigarette Companies don't need your money and you don't need their Cancer

Good Job Dude, Day 2 is probably almost over for you now...?

- Carrot

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Thank you CA,it's posts like that,that spur you on and give you strength. (also spank you to the rest of you
)

I've had 1 today so far (it's 1 in the afternoon now) And I done something that I've probably never done before. Been for a pub lunch,and had a few drinks,and not smoked!! I'm allowing myself 1 more smoke today,but if i can do without it,I'll go without it.

Today is a slow day work wise,so boredom is going to get the better of me unles I keep myself busy.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
No Problem!! Seriously, you probably need all the help you can get!!

Congratulations on going out for drinks and NOT having a smoke!! keep yourself busy, the boredom with subside.

I'd say that you should just hang out on ATS all day, to keep yourself occupied, but you probably don't have a job as boring as mine, that allows for you to do that...(I work Front Desk at a Hotel...).

Hope your will power is still going strong today

- Carrot

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I quit smoking when I quit drinking a couple of years back. Mind you I am pretty young. Anyways best way to keep it off is get active, join a gym, eat healthy. Ask one of your friends if they want to quit too. See if they want to buddy up and keep each other from starting up again.

I did it cold turkey and it did take a while compared to the alcohol.

posted on Aug, 15 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
i can turn off and on when i want to work. I have decided to quit for good and go active now, I think i have stopped drinking now as well.

top topics

join