It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Finger Lengths and What They Show About You

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hi All,

I was reading the new thread about the similar brain structure occurring in gay men and strait women and vice versa, and I was reminded of another subject that's extremely interesting along these lines.

Look at your left hand. Hold the fingers up strait, palm outward. Is your ring finger longer or as long, or shorter, then your middle finger?

If it's shorter, that means you got an extra blast of testosterone and androgen in the womb, regardless of sex. If you're a woman, and your ring finger is shorter then your middle finger, this generally means you will be more aggressive, better at math, and enjoy more rigorous or male-oriented activities.

If you're a man and your ring finger is shorter, you will be more aggressive etc as well. This is not to say you will be gay if you're a woman with this finger ratio.

The index finger ratio to the ring finger ratio also is an indicator of many things...I am going to post links to all of the scientific documentation in the next post in case you'd like to read more.

There are all sorts of medically proven predictors based on finger length ratios...read about them here. Interesting isn't it how something that simple can be powerful indicators in all areas of life?

So sound off and lets see how true this holds here on ATS

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Sources and studies about finger lengths and what they say about you:

www.4-men.org...

The length of a man's fingers can reveal how physically aggressive he is, Canadian scientists have said.
The shorter the index finger is compared to the ring finger, the more boisterous he will be, University of Alberta researchers said.

www.unl.edu...

In an anonymous survey, 720 adults who were attending public street fairs in the San Francisco area were asked their gender, age, sexual orientation, handedness, and the number and gender of children their mother had carried before them. As expected, men have significantly longer fingers than women (P < 0.001), and we confirmed reports that the 2D:4D ratio is greater in women than it is in men.

This sex difference in 2D:4D is greater on the right hand than on the left (Fig. 1a), indicating that the right-hand 2D:4D is more sensitive to fetal androgens than the left-hand ratio. The right-hand 2D:4D ratio of homosexual women was significantly more masculine (that is, smaller) than that of heterosexual women, and did not differ significantly from that of heterosexual men. Thus finger ratios, like otoacoustic emissions5, suggest that at least some homosexual women were exposed to greater levels of fetal androgen than heterosexual women

www.eurekalert.org...

The length of fingers is genetically linked to the sex hormones, and a person with an index finger shorter than the ring finger will have had more testosterone while in the womb, and a person with an index finger longer than the ring finger will have had more estrogen. The difference in the lengths can be small – as little as two or three per cent – but important.

A survey of the finger lengths of over 100 male and female academics at the University by senior Psychology lecturer Dr Mark Brosnan has found that those men teaching hard science like mathematics and physics tend to have index fingers as long as their ring fingers, a marker for unusually high estrogen levels for males.

It also found the reverse: those male academics with longer ring fingers than index fingers – the usual male pattern – tended not to be in science but in social science subjects such as psychology and education.

www.livescience.com...

A quick look at the lengths of children's index and ring fingers can be used to predict how well students will perform on SATs, new research claims.

Kids with longer ring fingers compared to index fingers are likely to have higher math scores than literacy or verbal scores on the college entrance exam, while children with the reverse finger-length ratio are likely to have higher reading and writing, or verbal, scores versus math scores.

en.wikipedia.org...

The digit ratio is the ratio of the lengths of different digits, fingers or toes, typically as measured from the bottom crease where the finger joins the hand to the tip of the finger. It has been suggested by some scientists that the ratio of two digits in particular, the 2nd (index finger) and 4th (ring finger) is affected by exposure to androgens such as testosterone while in the uterus and that this 2D:4D ratio can be used as a crude measure for prenatal androgen exposure.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'll even go first

My ring finger is shorter then my middle finger and my index finger is a tad shorter then even the ring finger. Meaning, I am a girl who got a blast of testosterone and androgen in the womb
Who would have thought? Those that know me on ATS!

I race cars, love football, played sports and love sports, playing poker with the guys, and am very aggressive and competitive
One of the other girls I see when I race cars, I asked her to show me her fingers, I laughed, she had the shorter ring finger and index finger as well
But I am not gay, I just love guy things, like fishing etc
Weird isn't it? Well let's hear from you all

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

I've read about that "study" - and it struck me as seriously off the first time...

(I am not blasting you, just so you know.)

Not only is my ring finger naturally shorter than the middle finger (by a centimetre or so) - ALL th women in my family whose hands I can remember right now (and I do pay extreme attention to hands) also have their ring finger shorter than the middle one. And that includes an aunt of mine who would rather not argue even with her own shadow...

But I promise I'll have another look at her hands as soon as I can, and report back. :-)

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I understand your skepticism, I too was as well when I first read about this, until I started checking all the hands of all the girls I knew...especially the "girly" ones...and I was quite surprised that none of my friends (girls) had a ring finger shorter then their index finger, not one single one. The only other girl I know that I have found that has a ring finger shorter then the middle is the girl I see when I race...do your own check if you will, I find it fascinating and had forgotten all about it until that new thread about gay men and strait women having similar brain structure

Actually, feel free to be skeptical, that's sort of why I put this up on ATS so the women on here could look at their hands and weigh in...

[edit on 16-6-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

If it's shorter, that means you got an extra blast of testosterone and androgen in the womb, regardless of sex. If you're a woman, and your ring finger is shorter then your middle finger, this generally means you will be more aggressive, better at math, and enjoy more rigorous or male-oriented activities.

Hmmm. Well, I can only speak for myself

Im a girl.....and my ring finger is shorter then my middle finger.

I am VERY girly....I love to shop and have an obsession with handbags, shoes and sunglasses.

However, I dont like doing girly things like sewing, crafting, quilting, scrapbooking. But I do love doing digi scrapping in Photoshop

I suck at math. I REALLY suck at math.

Guy activities? Hmmm. Well, I love sports, watching and playing. I love motorcycles, riding and watching (motorcross). I love cars and trucks. Love ATS and hanging with the boys here. But again, I love shopping and being lazy at home.
I can cry like a chic and be quite mouthy at times (notice, I have foes here LOL)

Aggressive? Hmmm. Well, Im a Leo and have the traits of a Leo. But im not particulary agressive unless provoked.

So, really, I dont think the study fits *me*.....or does it?????

[edit on 16-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Hmmm well maybe you got an equal blast of estrogen and progesterone too to counteract the testosterone!

Are both your ring fingers shorter then your middle finger? Just curious..ok we're batting 0 here, any other girls??? Come on, look at your hands please

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Are you sure it's not just sexual dimorphism? Females are, in humanity, generally slighter and a bit smaller than men, generally.

I've seen this and similar studies before, where they try to measure the body to measure the peron.
ONe famous account I still remember was that the captain of the Beagle, which is I think the name of the ship Darwin sailed on, pronounced Darwin a lazy person based on his nose.
And despite whatever feelings you may have on his ideas, it's obviouse from the work he did during the voyage that he was very much opposite.
As for me, I have a pretty large gap in size from my middle and ring finger, and my friends always joke about my non aggresive attitude.
Er... when not debating anyway.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Hmmm well maybe you got an equal blast of estrogen and progesterone too to counteract the testosterone!

Are both your ring fingers shorter then your middle finger? Just curious..ok we're batting 0 here, any other girls??? Come on, look at your hands please

Both my ring fingers are the same....shorter....lol

Well, maybe my response doesn't reflect the norm
....after all, I never have been mainstream or normal (whatever that is :lol
and I tend to always be in the minority on most things

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
My finger lengths say that I am the Queen of Mu.

I thought I should add this bit of info. for the scientific and historical record.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

LOL Pellevoisin....

But WHAT did you get on your SATs??? You need good math skills to add up the peasants' taxes!!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have read that the hands can show different things about us, but not about finger length so much in regards to what you're saying here.

I once met a girl on the internet and when I finally met her she had those man hands. I think she said she knew she was an amazon. I really didn't notice the length as much as how BIG they were. (omg) She had a great personality though, maybe like a good ol' beer buddy?

My ring finger is about quarter inch shorter and the same for both hands.And my index finger is shorter than my ring finger.

(Life story) I was favoring my left hand when I was younger and my father forced me to be right handed or at least to eat that way. I'm mostly left handed or work and throw left and catch left. But, I write with my right hand, possibly, because I was copying some girl named Holly next to me in first grade. (I had to change the name though)

My thing over the last year was my fingernails and how they tell your health. According to one other site, some foreign country doctors typically look at your nails for indicators of health. Here on this site they show some fingers with different length. But, it's about fingernails and health issues.

www.mayoclinic.com...&slide=1

www.normanallan.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

But that's just it: I DID compare it with the "reality" observed around me, as soon as I heard about that theory.

My mother's case and my own, for example, could even corroborate the findings (although I have very good reason to be skeptical about the role of testosterone alone in girly/ungirly behaviour).

But the thing is, EVERY single woman I've noticed so far has her ring finger shorter than the middle one.

That's precisely why I brought up the case of my aunt...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I thought so... They meant shorter than the INDEX finger.

That would make a bit more sense.
(Not much, but a bit.
)

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
yeah i immediately dismissed this when it started talking about comparisons to the middle finger. your middle finger is always the longest unless you're a freak. if you say ring finger in the place of middle, then sure - maybe it has some merit.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Hmmm. Well, I can only speak for myself

Im a girl.....and my ring finger is shorter then my middle finger.

I am VERY girly....I love to shop and have an obsession with handbags, shoes and sunglasses.

However, I dont like doing girly things like sewing, crafting, quilting, scrapbooking. But I do love doing digi scrapping in Photoshop

I suck at math. I REALLY suck at math.

Guy activities? Hmmm. Well, I love sports, watching and playing. I love motorcycles, riding and watching (motorcross). I love cars and trucks. Love ATS and hanging with the boys here. But again, I love shopping and being lazy at home.
I can cry like a chic and be quite mouthy at times (notice, I have foes here LOL)

Aggressive? Hmmm. Well, Im a Leo and have the traits of a Leo. But im not particulary agressive unless provoked.

So, really, I dont think the study fits *me*.....or does it?????

[edit on 16-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

uhmmm...will you marry me!!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
I have read that the hands can show different things about us, but not about finger length so much in regards to what you're saying here.

You may be interested to know (maybe not
) that the hands are one of the few things about every individual that "speak" to me with an immediacy that still amazes me. It has nothing to do with a study of the individual (hand) features - I just see a person's hands, and I KNOW "who" they really are.
I haven't been wrong so far. Not once.

Contrary to popular opinion, the eyes can "lie" - big time!
The hands can't.

As I said, it still amazes me.
But I am not stupid enough to go and question it.
Not anymore.

[edit on 17-6-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I'm not sure I understand all this, but can I get a diagnosis ???

Here's my left hand.
Tell me a little about myself and I'll post back if you're right.

Sorry it's a bit blurry........

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
ARRGH I can't stop looking at my Hands now !!!!!

but the theory seems valid
but I'm ambidextrous left hand writer ...think that matters

[edit on 17-6-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Sorry all,

I reread the articles and figured out my mistake, you all are very correct, what I MEANT in my opening post, concerning the "blast of testosterone and androgen" is indicated by the ration of the ring finger to the index finger!

I sincerely apologize, that was my fault and not the fault of the material I used as an example!

So, let me re-state this clearly so that you can understand it better:

Women tend to have their index finger at the exact same length as their ring finger, and of course as people pointed out, the middle finger is the longest finger.

Women whose index finger is SHORTER then the ring finger, are the ones that have the more masculine qualities and the extra blast of testosterone and androgen in the womb.

Men's hands are different then women's being that their index fingers are NATURALLY shorter usually then their ring finger, due to the normal testosterone levels and androgen levels of males in the womb.

Click here, "normal" male and female finger length

I hope this clears my big goof up, sorry about that all! Anyway I just found this interesting since I heard it years ago, and if you read some of the material I sited in the 2nd OP, there is some data to show that finger length from hormone levels in the womb, is linked to the same way hormones affect the brains and nervous systems in male and female brains as well.

I am not saying the studies are 100% accurate or even at all accurate, read them for yourself and decide, I just find it fascinating is all...

Here's another article I found as well:

Evolutionary biologist John Manning has come up with a handy way of working out just how masculine or feminine we really are. He’s measured the fingers of thousands of men and women, and he found that the amount of testosterone and estrogen you get in the womb determines the length of your ring finger. Testosterone effects the development of the right side of the brain, where we have our visual ability and judge speed and distance.

Link

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join