It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Gore Endorses Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Al Gore Endorses Obama

rawstory.com

Now that the Democratic primaries have ended, the party’s biggest name is officially coming out in support of the it’s presumptive nominee.

Al Gore says he is backing Barack Obama and will do whatever he can to help him get to the White House.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A lot of members are probably going for McCain, but I have to say this is a big endorsement for Obama. Say what you want, but, Obama is looking more and more likey to become the next President.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Typically spineless move from a professional politician. Wait till the process is over then endorse the winner. What a surprise!

Al Gore had his day, I would be happy if he let himself fall into obscurity. And this might not be good for Obama, as depending on how the whole global warming, scratch, climate change, taxation trap fiasco goes, Gore could end up being a negative.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
* kosmic yawns *

...So a bloated, elitist Global Warm-onger endorses Obama. This does not inspire me. And, just as Zepherian, I think it just makes him look like a spineless ass.

You don't need him Barry!

If I am suspicious of the neo-con "War on Terror" agenda which exists to line the pockets of the elite and consolidate power, I am equally suspicious of the ultra-Green Global Warming cabal. They will get rich and curtail our freedoms as well, just in the name of a different agenda.

[edit on 16/6/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is wonderful news to me, and for the Obama Campaign. I for one am very happy that he has pledged his support to help Obama win the Presidency!

The Waiting is Almost Over!!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 16-6-2008 by yankeerose]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Zepherian

Nothing spineless about it. He backed a candidate. The race isn't over yet... he still needs to win the general election. lol?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Al Gore is a Democrat!

Who did you think he was going to endorse!

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Exactly, Gore will endorse whatever candidate is running for his own party, unless he declare himself independent and then he will be able to endorse anybody he wants.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm anxiously awaiting Al's next foray into Hollywood.

An Inconvenient Candidate starring Al Gore

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It was totally spineless, he waited untill the democrat nominee was settled and backed him. Nobody expects him to back a republican, and certainly not McCain, so waiting for Obama was a spineless move.

Just like he duct taped his name onto the Internet, just like he duct taped his name onto global warming/climate change he is duct taping his name onto Obama. Gore is just an opportunist, as are most politicians, he is a media creation and hollow. Still, he is better than anything the neocons got I suppose, but this whole business reminds me of a quote from the Douglas Adams book, the hitchhikers guide of the universe, where a planet of humans was ruled by reptiles in a wierd form of democracy, and one of the humans was asked if they hated the reptiles why did he keep voting, to which he responded "we don't wan't the wrong reptile to win".

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Ooooh....Sudden Al Bore strikes again.

He's as annoying as those pesky Clintons, and Bushes. Wish he'd go away, too.

If Mr. Obama sought his support, it's another strike against him. If he didn't, I'm inclined to ignore it. Man can't help who endorses him without solicitation, after all.

Where was he while the dems were slugging it out? Hmmmm...

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Would you all like a little cheese with your whine?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

A nice sharp chedder would go well with the white. Thanks.

Al Gore is an oppourtunist of the first order. Jumped on board the Global Warming express, and now he's all for Mr. Obama. I ask again, where was he during the fight?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
What does it matter where he was during the primaries? I myself would have supported either Hillary or Obama depending on the outcome of the primaries. That Obama is the Chosen Candidate of the DFL is fine with me. He has my full support.

Al Gore is a former Vice President, Nobel Prize and Academy Award winning Democratic Statesman. That he would support Obama in this election is Outstanding!!

Stop the bashing and start to support your choice for President by positively stating which issues of his you support. Try and be positive about your participation in our election process instead of being a mud slinging crybaby.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

That shows how knowledgeable on the subject you are. Al Gore never "duct taped" his name to the Internet, nor did he ever say he created it.

He said he helped bring it about through legislation... which is absolutely true. While he did not think of the Internet, you can certainly thank Al Gore for helping it's beginning.

And again, he backed Obama. The election is not over. In fact, it is just now starting. He is putting his name behind Obama over McCain. Contrary to your beliefs, sometimes democrats back republicans and vice versa. Not everyone is as partisan as you may be.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

He said he helped bring it about through legislation... which is absolutely true. While he did not think of the Internet, you can certainly thank Al Gore for helping it's beginning.

This is where politicians usually do the taping, take some existing phenomenon and legislate it. The internet was an international organic phenomenon based on a convergence of technologies, from the IP protocol to HTML. Even if there were no legislation it would have grown up organically through the existing communication network. He piggybacked on the back of the internet, as he has done his whole career.

And no, he would never ever back McCain, that is totally against his script, he is completely partisan, at least for public consumption. So yes, he waited untill the nomination was done for and backed the winner. Opportunistic and shallow.

And I am not partisan, I have no sympathy for either democrats or republicans, with a few individual exceptions, or even the messed up american electoral system fiasco.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Correct, I don't think he would back McCain either (what right-minded person conservative or liberal would - he wants to go to Iran). That doesn't mean there won't be other republicans and liberals who will back McCain.

The election is just beginning and people are now starting to choose sides. I believe you are failing to grasp that.

And I suggest you read into this a bit:

Al Gore, the Internet, and Gullible People Who Believe What They Hear on the News
Second Source

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Now whether or not you, in your infinite wisdom, believe that Al Gore was not necessary in the beginning times, can you honestly refute his statement? Did he not take the initiative to help create (not invent, but create) the internet? He is not saying he thought of the idea, however, that he took the initiative in Congress to help CREATE it.

But the real question is what, if anything, did Gore actually do to create the modern Internet? According to Vincent Cerf, a senior vice president with MCI Worldcom who's been called the Father of the Internet, "The Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the Vice President in his current role and in his earlier role as Senator."

The inventor of the Mosaic Browser, Marc Andreesen, credits Gore with making his work possible. He received a federal grant through Gore's High Performance Computing Act. The University of Pennsylvania's Dave Ferber says that without Gore the Internet "would not be where it is today."

Joseph E. Traub, a computer science professor at Columbia University, claims that Gore "was perhaps the first political leader to grasp the importance of networking the country. Could we perhaps see an end to cheap shots from politicians and pundits about inventing the Internet?"

The Love Canal canard distorts a story Gore told to a high school class in Concord, New Hampshire. In answer to a question about how students could get involved in politics, Gore described a letter he'd received from a girl in West Tennessee while he was a congressman. Based on the girl's complaint about a poisoned well, he organized an investigation, which in turn led to other pollution sites, culminating in the expose of Love Canal. Referring to the well in Toone, Tennessee, Gore said, "That was the one you didn't hear of--but that was the one that started it all."

The media was quick to misquote the line as "I was the one that started it all." Seemingly dissatisfied with Gore's style, the Republican National Committee improved the line thus: "I was the one who started it all." When the Concord Monitor and the Boston Globe exposed what had really been said in that high school class, the New York Times, the Washington Post and U.S. News offered grudging corrections of their reportorial errors.

Now do you see what you are basically taking a part of? You are promoting an old media smear campaign. They misquoted him, and then took a phrase, "I was the one that started it all", that had to do with a completely different subject, out of context.

I'm not asking you to like Al Gore, but honestly, can you at least leave the "internet" out of it. I don't believe I need to explain any further why it's spineless to continue discussing something that NEVER happened.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
He didn't invent the internet?

Will he still get credit as the inventor of global warming (or at least the inventor that global warming is caused by republicans)?

[edit on 18-6-2008 by moonking]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I wanted to use allcaps, but I'm afraid of the courtesy thing, so please read the following in allcaps in your mind please

The internet is not just an american thing.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

Sorry, but I'm perfectly within my rights to question his motives...

Neither Presidential candidate has my vote, in fact at this point no candidate, however minor, has it. Neither Mr. Obama, nor Mr. McCain. Mr. Gores presence only lessens Mr. Obama's chances of getting my vote. But then I'm one of those people clinging to my guns, so he probably doesn't really care...

I'm still waiting for my chedder.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join