It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hints of structure beyond the visible universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Hints of structure beyond the visible universe

www.unexplained-mysteries.com

Colossal structures larger than the visible universe – forged during the period of cosmic inflation nearly 14 billion years ago – may be responsible for a strange pattern seen in the big bang's afterglow, says a team of cosmologists. If confirmed, the structures could provide precious information about the universe's earliest moments. In the first instant after its birth, the universe is thought to have experienced a rapid growth spurt called inflation. During this period, space itself expanded faster than the speed of light. Inflation solves some cosmological puzzles, such as why relic radiation from the big bang, released when the universe was less than 400,000 years old, is relatively uniform. Called the cosmic microwave background (CMB), the radiation can be observed in all directions in the sky. It has a slightly mottled appearance due to small differences in temperature from place to place in the early universe. The temperature differences are thought to be caused by variations in the density of matter, with denser regions being warmer than emptier regions. But the theory of inflation predicts that the mottling should be equally prominent in all directions. Curiously, it is 10% more pronounced on one side of the sky than the other, an asymmetry that was reported in 2004 by Hans Eriksen of the University of Oslo in Norway, based on a map made by the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) satellite. Now, cosmologists led by Adrienne Erickcek of Caltech in Pasadena, US, think they may have found the reason for this pattern.

They suggest the universe has been skewed by the imprint of primordial structures that date back to the period of inflation. Extra field: The structures stretch beyond the edge of the observable universe, which is essentially confined to a region with a radius of 14 billion light years, since only light from within that distance has had time to reach us since the big bang. The entire "global" universe is about 10100 times as large as the universe we can see
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
i dont know where these scientists pull these crazy theories from but they are very convincing

www.unexplained-mysteries.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

Not really sure what these structures look like or are,but good find.

Could they possibly be huge 'pillar' like structures that exist outside of the universe?(and there-for space-time)It just seems possible that any form of matter existing in a fluid without time(which I am assuming does not exist outside of our 'universal bubble')and/or space as we understand it would form some type of one,two,or three dimensional 'line',at least from my interpretation of String Theory and other Cosmological disciplines.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

I read the words "colossal structure" and my mind conjured up images of massive stone/metal/wood structures. I never thought once that these structures could be made of exotic matter found throughout space!

Also the word "visible" in the sentence "beyond the visible universe" somehow disappeared when I read it :p I thought of these things as being OUTSIDE OUR UNIVERSE! I know. I got excited and wondered why no one was over the moon about this until I took a breather. I laughed so much at what I had originally written about this being "a new era" and that this may be "2012 Elohim Road".

I'll let you guys laugh now. If you don't laugh then don't complain, I happen to be breathing different air

new topics

top topics

join