It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think of our military?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i cant deny that the marines are bad to the bone ...being that ive had many friends who were in the marines
but i must say that when dad was in vietnam he told of many times when the 1st air calvary would come and dig them out of mess they started and could not finish
theyd arrive and theyd be waving bye bye as they left the battle and the 1st air calvary would have to finish what they couldnt

now wait you marine corps devil dogs...my dads best friend was at khe sahn where the devil dogs did a hell of a job to hold out against incredible odds

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
That all changed two years ago. Now Force Recon falls under SOCOM and the Marines have also set up their own dedicated SF unit.

Are you sure? I've looked all over the Internet and cannot find anything that mentions Force Recon joining SOCOM.

Not to second-guess you or anything, but I find it highly unlikely the Marines would make their own dedicated SF unit. The Marines as a whole are a special operations force, so making their own dedicated SF unit would be very redundant. And if they did make their own dedicated SF unit, it would fall under SOCOM.

It's just unrealistic a special operations-capable force would create yet another dedicated special opes force. Unless they're talking about the Fleet Anti-Terrorist Team.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
just asking do ur armed forces make units from all diffrent forces?

Yes. It is called a JSOC unit (Joint Special Operations Command). They do missions all the time. Sometimes they even included federal SpecOps guys, and even foreigners into the mix. Those are the most deadliest units out there, the JSOC units. Because you have such a wide variety of skills and experience.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
First of all, if you havn't served in the infantry in 1 branch of the service or another then you really have no idea what the heck yuo are talking about, this goes for everyone just so someone does get they're feelings hurt. The whole thing about "A SEAL could beat up 50 guys with his hands tied behind his back" is just a bunch of crap, some guys can fight and some can't, there are pleanty of supply sgts out there that can beat the crap out of SEALS, Paras, SF, whoever. All this "Marines are the best, Army sucks" stuff is just stupid, its propoghanda, period. An infantryman is an infantryman, is an infantryman, the skill of a soldier or Marine is determined at the unit level and more importantly at the squad level. I get so sick of hearing these types of threads on the internet, they're always kept going by some uninformed highschool kids or guys who were in the military but were "pouges". Really, if you want to know what its like to be in the infantry then go sign up.

Cpl. Rogers 11B
D Co. 3-505 Parachute Infantry Regiment
82nd Abn Div

Oh and BTW, believe me, the Rangers and 82nd are the premier light infantry..... period, lol

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   
You tell 'em CPL Rogers!!!!!! Atta boy.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Marine SF is called the MSPF. There is informaton on them at the MC web page.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
What's up, dude? Long time no see... I'll check it out now.

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
Marine SF is called the MSPF. There is informaton on them at the MC web page.

I can't find it, LT. Do you have a link?

Mr. M

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
no offence thunder but ur wrong
1stly you are gona compare a comando to a normal squadie ?ie royal marine comandos
secondly who said the army was crap the army kicks ass !

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
no offence thunder but ur wrong
1stly you are gona compare a comando to a normal squadie ?ie royal marine comandos
secondly who said the army was crap the army kicks ass !

What are you talking about, dude?

Mr. M

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by StarChild]

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Well, Thunder you are wrong with me the Second Seal. My uncles Friend Was a Marine Recon in Desert Storm, He said it himself. Not to mention he said that they are physco has hell.

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderBoy
First of all, if you havn't served in the infantry in 1 branch of the service or another then you really have no idea what the heck yuo are talking about, this goes for everyone just so someone does get they're feelings hurt.
what the hell are you talking about you doint need to have served in the military to have an idea what they do and what they are like

. An infantryman is an infantryman, is an infantryman, the skill of a soldier or Marine is determined at the unit level and more importantly at the squad level.
Cpl. Rogers 11B
D Co. 3-505 Parachute Infantry Regiment
82nd Abn Div
WRONG 1stly a royal marine comando can beat any baisc squadie anyday secondly you arnt detrmined by squad or unit level ! i know guys in the RM that are way better trained than navy, marines and soldier BUT they are told they arnt skilled enough to be a better rank or in a better section

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
You totally missed the whole point of my post. In any infantry or spec ops unit you do most of you're training at the squad or fire team level. Thus one unit from the Marines might not be as proficant at basic an advanced infantry skills as another unit from the Army because the Marines either don't train enough or train poorly when they do get out into the field. Ofcoarse this same scenario can be reversed. Thus it is stupid and just plain ignorrent to say that one branch of the service is better than the other, you can compaire unit to unit but branch to branch is simply far too broad a spectrum to make such brash generalizations. Really go back and reread my post.

And just so you know, I've worked with just about every US spec ops unit besides Recon Marines, in both real world and training scenarios both at Ft. Bragg and in Afghanistan, and everything I've seen in these instances leads me to conclude that it is the leadership of the small unit that dictates effectivness and not the patch on they're shoulder.

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by ThunderBoy]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
im sorry i missed the point but THERE is a point in saying which part of the military is better logistically or better armed
look if you really hate these thing then y do u read them?
saying youv worked with the spec ops from most of the US military counts for nothing really but sorry it does even serving wi the SAS counts for nothing the stuff that does count is those guys that like go and watch loads of spec ops

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The Us military are stong and powerful, and the men who sereve in the military right now espicially in Iraq are idiots. They think the president cares about them, all he cares about is oil, money, and winnig the election. I think there are a lot of idiots in the military, but some also go because they get paid, and not a bad sum of money. In general i think the US military is storng, powerful, really good trained, and really good equiped.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
im not doubting that fact that the US military is strong or powerful BUT serving with the special ops of any country gets you nothing these days do you agree?

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Man, I can see from some of these posts that some or most of you military guys are like sheep being led to the slaughter. By your spelling and comprehension of what you americans call English, I can see that a lot of you are pretty uneducated just what your government wants. Your government then tell the news companies what you should hear. Most people don't question what they see on the news. They take it as gospel. Being in the military does not allow you to think for yourselves. Things are not what they seem. Ask questions before bombing and killing the innocent. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A very good friend of mine who was in the special forces told me that the marines have one very big flaw. Just dare them to kill themselves and they'll be dead in seconds.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Because they are idiots like i said before.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Davo
Man, I can see from some of these posts that some or most of you military guys are like sheep being led to the slaughter. By your spelling and comprehension of what you americans call English, I can see that a lot of you are pretty uneducated just what your government wants. Your government then tell the news companies what you should hear. Most people don't question what they see on the news. They take it as gospel. Being in the military does not allow you to think for yourselves. Things are not what they seem. Ask questions before bombing and killing the innocent. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

And...where are you from the U.K.? The government there isn't much better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join