It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Men, Straight Women Have Similar Brains

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bakedbean

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. But, it was not homosexuals who did this to you. It was the religious. And where do you think pedophiles want to work? Hmmm...as a priest so they don't have to answer "why don't you have a girlfriend?". My observations of course, but as a gay man, I have no...I repeat no desire for children or even men under 25. I guess there's always an exception to the rule, but I know of none of my gay friends who would even look at a child.

BTW, there are more heterosexual pedophiles out there than homosexual. Maybe you should then corrolate heterosexuality with pedophilia? As it happens far more in the heterosexual environment. Even children's own fathers and mothers. Shall we continue to stereotype and be ignorant of the facts?

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by phl0gist0n
I have to agree with those who say that homosexuality is a disorder or a defect, or at least dysfunctional. It certainly interferes with the most essential biological funtion; to reproduce.

That's funny. I can reproduce just as easily as you can or any other heterosexual or homosexual male. Unless that male is infertile, in which case an infertile heterosexual would be the "disorder", "defect", "dysfunctional", and "non-natural" of the two of us.

Using your logic, I am more natural than infertle heterosexual males because I can reproduce. But, that's your definition of "natural" isn't it?

[edit on 6/17/2008 by Griff]

[edit on 6/17/2008 by Griff]

I never said an infertile heterosexual isn't dysfunctional. And I think some guys would find it difficult to um... function if they were with someone of the opposite sex they aren't attracted to. And a homosexual isn't attracted to anybody of the opposite sex by definition.

Furthermore, what's "natural" has nothing to do with it. Illness and dysfunction can be perfectly natural, and in fact, I do agree that homosexuality is probably perfectly natural.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
YA! look at me!

I am a normal gay person, so I might have a big mouth LOL.

but no one has to look at me face uh!

POOOLEEEASEEEE PEOPLE, GET A GRIP!

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by phl0gist0n

phl0.....you said a homosexual is not attracted to anyone of the opposite sex.....that is not true, in all instances. No one seems to have mentioned (unless I missed it) the 'Kinsey Scale' of human sexuality.

I will let others better qualified than I to field that, if they wish. As a mere layman, this is what I understood: Dr. Kinsey studied sexual appetites of humans, both men and women, Gay and Straight.

He ranked them on a scale from (for some reason) 1 to 7....I think 1 was exclusively hetero, 7 being the opposite....or vice versa....doesn't matter which is which, his research showed that there is the propensity in all of us, as sexual humans, to become physically aroused, given the correct stimulation, and that there was a scale of "in-betweens"... Again, this is my interpretation of his research.....

My impression of this is, unfortunately, where the notion of "preference" when it comes to sexuality comes from???? I think some have used that term "preference" to death. AND it is used as a subtle club over the heads of the opponents....usually from the "traditionalists, the so-called supporters of tradtional marriage between a man and a woman" against other human beings who just want to have equal rights and who happen, along the way, to be attracted to same-sex partners.

People, for the record: A 'preference' is whether you like vanilla ice cream, or butter pecan. Brocolli, or asparagus. Those two examples, both matters of a 'taste'.....perhaps those are genetically inherited??? Who knows, who cares???

Sexuality is not about the taste buds, it is about what attracts one to another on a deeper level....not just sexually (which is transient) but emotionally.

This aspect seems to be getting lost in all of the rhetoric......

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
Is this really any surprise? That gay males act like women? No wonder gay men like to go around shopping and decorating and crying and doing their nails and watching Oprah. It is nice to have this confirmed with evidence though I will agree. And to those that will take my humor seriously, relax please.

Humour aside, it is this type of humor that gets gay people bashed and killed. Because you think we are less human than you.

BTW, I'm a gay man who drinks beer, watches sports, belches, farts, hates to shop, has dirty finger nails, is the worst decorator out there and have no fashion sense. So, where do I fit in your stereotypical world?

The other gentleman said that gay men and women are defective, he does have a point. However, I believe defective is to strong of the word. You are human and physically are not defective. You do have what I call a condition, a physiological condition. You do not have the physical sexual attraction toward the part of the species that has the ability to bare children. I believe someone in this post raised the point of some heterosexuals having this same deficiency. Yes this is true, thus the word deficiency. If a women or a man are not able to fulfill their physiological role in reproduction then yes the do have a condition. Furthermore, I would like to add this. Many people do not have a voluntary bias against homosexuals. Homosexuality is rare when viewed relatively and is a condition within humans. Therefore many heterosexual human beings have a reflexive and physiological reaction toward homosexuals. I am afraid that is nature and I do believe it to unfortunate that homosexuals have to endure such a thing. Fortunately, homosexual individuals do not have to experience the unfortunate consequences of other human conditions or diseases, such as cancer. On a personal note, I suffer from a condition called Hyper hydrosis. Let me tell you, this does not always go over well in society but you know, it’s just a part of life, I deal with it. Also, since it is not the norm in a physiological context, I try to be empathetic to those that do not suffer from said condition.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Furthermore, what's "natural" has nothing to do with it. Illness and dysfunction can be perfectly natural, and in fact, I do agree that homosexuality is probably perfectly natural.

phl0gist0n:

I don't know whether natural is the correct term to apply here. Maybe natural in the sense that being gay or lesbian is very much a human genetic flaw - might be more in order.

There are only two facts here.

1) Being gay is not a sin and it is accepted as a reality.

2) Being gay is also most clearly a human genetic defect. To deny such is suggesting the human race could survive with gays being the predominate species.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by leo123]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Speaking of taste buds, I have to admit I like Sausage, not to spicy though. LOL

Being gay is about being HAPPY!
To many unhappy men in this world.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

phl0gist0n:

I don't know whether natural is the correct term to apply here. Maybe natural in the sense that being gay or lesbian is very much a human genetic flaw - might be more in order.

There are only two facts here.

1) Being gay is not a sin and it is accepted as a reality.

2) Being gay is also most clearly a human genetic defect. To deny such is suggesting the human race could survive with gays being the predominate species.

You put that well.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by leo123]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by furiousracer313
OMG, being gay is a CHOICE not a BRAIN DEFECT!! God does not accept gay men into heaven, so why would he create man like that??

Actually if you read the bible, jesus himself doesnt have anything against gays its all the padded out crap elsewhere in the bible. You do know they edited parts of the bible in fitting with the agenda of the church over the years?

The only part of the bible i believe is regarding jesus, how can anyone else, being less than divine, write a divine book?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

I can't seem to find the one that was posted here on ATS. Where the direct conclusion is that any form of matter needs an observer, a consciousness to exist. It was done in the University of Vienna last year though, and like I said, was posted here on ATS.

And as far as I know, the belief that you have no choice about your gender preference, is nothing but an illusion IMO. It's just core beliefs that are instilled during early childhood that determine that "no choice".

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by argile2000
If a women or a man are not able to fulfill their physiological role in reproduction then yes the do have a condition.

Who says we are not able to other than you? I am perfectly able to impregnate a woman. BTW, I have had sex with women. Just had to concentrate on men to do it. Doesn't mean I wasn't able to perform.

Furthermore, I would like to add this. Many people do not have a voluntary bias against homosexuals.

I would argue that it is a societal bias. Back in Rome when it was accepted, I doubt there was much phobia towards it as there is today. I could be wrong as I didn't live in those times (at least I don't remember living in those times) but they were too busy with killing each other than killing just the "queers".

Fortunately, homosexual individuals do not have to experience the unfortunate consequences of other human conditions or diseases, such as cancer.

What? My lover died of cancer. One of my friends is dying of a brain tumor as we speak. Don't tell me we don't endure other human conditions such as cancer. I take high offense to that.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Thank you Griff, for calling out argile on the cancer comment. It was all I could to contain myself in view of such an ignorant statement. Or, perhaps argile was being sarcastic? Hard to tell, sometimes.

For Bandit....you're a Super Mod, sure, but you have opinions as well. I have to say, in all honesty though, I have to disagree with your views of homosexuality being a choice, if I was reading you correctly.

Unlike Griff, I have never considered having sex with a woman. Not even by fantasy about a hot man, I just could not do it. Sorry, but the mere sight of a naked woman is revolting to me. Not a choice, just nature.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
And as far as I know, the belief that you have no choice about your gender preference, is nothing but an illusion IMO. It's just core beliefs that are instilled during early childhood that determine that "no choice".

So, you are saying that you chose to be heterosexual? And could just as easily be homosexual if you choose to be?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Griff

For Bandit....you're a Super Mod, sure, but you have opinions as well. I have to say, in all honesty though, I have to disagree with your views of homosexuality being a choice, if I was reading you correctly.

Unlike Griff, I have never considered having sex with a woman. Not even by fantasy about a hot man, I just could not do it. Sorry, but the mere sight of a naked woman is revolting to me. Not a choice, just nature.

Humans make choices on different levels. As far as I know, there are at least two different choices. The conscious and the unconscious choice. If the conscious choice conflicts with the unconscious choice it will never be a possibility. If you compare the human mind with software, you can consider the unconscious (or subconscious mind) an operating system, and the conscious mind whatever program or file that is on that operating system. The program or file has to be compatible with the operating system for it to work. You cannot install run winamp.exe that is windows based on a MAC OS X operating system.

So you cannot have heterosexual tendencies if your operating system is programmed for you to be gay. That's where you don't have a choice. On the conscious level. Now if you are able to change the operating system. Format and reinstall a new one. If your old subconscious programming made you gay before, you will have heterosexual tendencies now. And vice-versa. Our identity is much more than our conscious mind, and that was what I was getting at.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

I have to disagree with what you are saying .
First of all, if you are not gay then you really dont understand.

I am gay, and it was not a conscince decision, or a supconscince decision.
I can tell you that, I alway felt that, I was diffrent from other boys, when I was young.

All though I didnt understand what being gay was about.
I never felt that I was a fem, or I never felt I needed to act out.

When I was young, and I saw my first pic of a nude woman it did not do anything for me.

But, when I saw my first nud pics of a nude male, I was really turn on!

At first I couldnt understand why I felt that way, I was 14 years old when I was cleaning up my parents bed room and found a play-girl magazine.
under the bed it was my mothers.

later that day, I went in my room, and cried. I thought I was sick, I couldnt under stand that I was gay.
I had no one to talk to about my feeling and G-D forbid if my father found out .
My father was a military man 20 years AirForce.
Anyway, I thought I was the only person to ever feel like this.
I wanted to kill myself .
Now why on G-d green earth would anyone want to choose to be GAY!
When most of socity will not excespt this.

Why would I choose to be an out cast in socity, I wouldnt.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
A man is made with a penis for a reason: to make love to a woman. If this man does not desire this, and desires to make love to another man, then what nature intended is different from what nature actually created. That is called a defect.

Defect or not, I do not negotiate on gay rights: they have the same rights as any other human being. They also have the same obligations.

But, come on gay men, you were given a little penis so as that you insert it in a woman's vagina; gay women, you were given a little vagina so as that men can insert their penises into. To use those organs otherwise, it means that nature produced a conflict.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cashlink

Never mind.. You don't understand my point (which is totally unorthodox anyway), so lets keep it at that.

apc

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

You're talking about collapsing quantum waves then? Can we save that headache for another thread?

But still your basic argument seems to be that sexual orientation, and gender assignment apparently, is a consequence of nurture rather than nature. This may be correct in the sense that these traits coalesce with genetic predisposition while in the womb. There may even be some influence in the first year or two of life. But after these crucial stages of brain development there's no altering them. A person is who they will become at this point and short of brain damage there's no getting around that. A gay person can no more change their brain structure and will themselves straight than a black man can will himself white. Unless he's a pop star, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I will relegate myself to the new PPM forum where I belong..
For me, absolutes do not exist.

apc

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Are you absolutely sure about that?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join